IGNORED

How are course slope and rating determined?

Note: This thread is 6120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, I posted the whole thread in the subject.

How does the USGA determine a course's slope and rating? Is it subjectively determined by representatives of the USGA, or is it mathematical?

If mathematical, what is the "formula?"

I would like to calculate my handicap, but there are a few places I have played that do not have slope or ratings listed on the scorecard and I have not found them online, so if I could figure it out myself, I could at least get an idea of where I am?

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

Yeah i was wondering this myself.

In the Wilson Stand Bag

Driver:........Ping........G5 Reg shaft
3 Wood:......Mitsushiba.........M575-15°

Irons:.........Taylormade RocketBallz......3 Hybrid - PW..Stiff Shafts

Wedges:....Cleveland CG16 56 & 60

Well, I posted the whole thread in the subject.

http://www.usga.org/questions/faqs/h....asp?FAQidx=24 If you play somewhere the course rating & slope aren't on the scorecard or available on the state golf association website, ask the pro or the "guy behind the counter". If they don't know I'm not sure anyone else would be able to answer the question. I surely don't think it would be a good idea to just make up a course rating & slope and post a score with a fictitious slope & rating . . .

• Administrator
Yeah i was wondering this myself.

In the other thread on this, I posted two articles. Guys, we have an entire site outside of the forum. Please search there first, or use google, before asking questions that have already been answered (particularly in the second one): http://thesandtrap.com/extras/rules/whats_your_handicap http://thesandtrap.com/columns/the_n...ide_bet_or_two

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you for those links. I promise I did do some googling but could not find anything as helpful as the links you posted. I will search the main site before I post in the forums from now on.

Sorry/Thanks

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

Two related questions...

According the second article linked, length is NOT a factor. Is that right? I always heard the opposite.

What do you do when a course you play seems to be rated/sloped way off? There's a course I play that is 68/114 but it is much tougher than all the others, some of which are rated 70+ and 120-130. Two par threes over 210, sand protecting every green, several long forced carrries over water, and mature trees everywhere.

"Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones

In my Ping Hoofer Extreme...
Triumph TC-100 1 iron
TaylorMade R7 Quad 10.5* and 15* BurnerTriumph 3-PW, TaylorMade 2Pinnacle GoldsA no-name blade handed down to me from my father, and to him...

If the club has changed their layout since being rated there is a process to be re-rated:

(This is strictly pertaining to the golf association of Ontario, but I would assume it is no different than others) http://www.gao.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/2019/la_id/1.htm
How do courses get rated/measured? A: For New clubs - They need to join the Association and fill out an information form and submit membership dues. For current Member Clubs - a Club must complete a letter stating in detail what changes have been made to their course that they feel constitutes a re-rating. This letter should be forwarded to the course rating department to confirm that a re-rating is being requested. The Course Rating department will determine if a team is required to be sent to the club or whether the changes that have been made to the course can be accommodated by making the adjustments in the Course Rating software to produce the new set of Ratings.

What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

I'm such a wild willie :(

I can shoot anywhere from low 80's to over 100 depending on the day.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

What do you do when a course you play seems to be rated/sloped way off? There's a course I play that is 68/114 but it is much tougher than all the others, some of which are rated 70+ and 120-130. Two par threes over 210, sand protecting every green, several long forced carrries over water, and mature trees everywhere.

I have this happen all the time. I'm a major league wild willie here. My best round ever came at a John Daly course of 7,000-something yards, an 82 - because it had almost no trees and was wide open. It was a 126, or 128, or something. My next best rounds this year - two 85's, an 87, and a 9-hole low 37, all came at a course rated at 71/134.

But down at Sugar Bay where I played today (66/110, I think), I couldn't break 150 if I tried. Really tight, trees, woods, cabbage, and wrong fairways in play on every hole.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Note: This thread is 6120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!