IGNORED

Hank Haney School of Golf, anyone??

Note: This thread is 3932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone been to the Haney School in Lewisvile, Texas?  Or any location for that matter?  I am considering going for one on one with an instructor for 2 or 3 days.

What I have never understood is why the prices are one for a "Senior Instructor" and double that for a "Director Instructor"??  Will you learn half as much because the senior instructor is only a Half wit??

Thoughts and experience??

This voice of experience says stay away... Very far away from Hank Haney Golf

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He is a well reputed man that is way more experienced than I will ever be......with that being said, I personally think he is horrible. Just watch his show on the golf channel and look at what he has his players doing. In my opinion I think he is the worst possible guy to go to as a high handicapper, but maybe a great guy to go to if you are a LOW handicapper. With all this being said I think his school would be an extension of his teaching style. I would stay away. MY OPINION!!!

- Jered

I lived in Dallas for 5 years and did take lessons at Haney's facility. The one I went to was in, McKinney, I believe. I'm sure we are talking about the same place. When I signed up, I was a high single digit handicap (I think I was an 9 at the time) and struggled with consistent contact. I told the instructor (I have no idea what his actual title was..) that my main goal was to improve my ball striking. In the first lesson, he watched me hit 10 or so 7 irons. Then, he started telling me what I needed to do differently. He basically concentrated on steepening my swing. I must have heard, "lift your arms up, cock your wrists" a hundred times while doing backswings. I went to 3 of the 5 lesson package I paid for and never went back. It was brutal. Since then, I'be gotten good instruction from other pros. They've really helped my ball striking by helping me to better maintain my spine angle and with swaying issues. The Haney guy never mentioned either of those. Needless to say, I didn't have a good experience with Haney's club...

I'm sure Haney has helped some people, maybe even Tiger, but I don't care for his methods.  On the Haney Project I'm sure we only see a minute part of what his overall instruction program is, but I don't want to just hit 500 balls in a row while he barks 20 different swing thoughts in my ear.  I've watched Phelps hit a ton of balls and then get on the course and do everything wrong again and he's a world class athlete.

Based on what I've seen and read, I'd much rather take lessons from Harmon.  I'd like to see a show where Haney and Harmon each take a golfer of similar skills, train them for six months then have them play in a tournament to see who the better player is.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I'm sure Haney has helped some people, maybe even Tiger, but I don't care for his methods.  On the Haney Project I'm sure we only see a minute part of what his overall instruction program is, but I don't want to just hit 500 balls in a row while he barks 20 different swing thoughts in my ear.  I've watched Phelps hit a ton of balls and then get on the course and do everything wrong again and he's a world class athlete.

Based on what I've seen and read, I'd much rather take lessons from Harmon.  I'd like to see a show where Haney and Harmon each take a golfer of similar skills, train them for six months then have them play in a tournament to see who the better player is.

Actually I love that idea, except just have them train the person for the normal 6-8 weeks, or whatever the normal series time frame, then have the two players duke it out in a match in the finale.

Anyways I'm sure we would never see that because the Golf Channel probably wouldn't budget the money for two high profile instructors on one single show. If they did I would definitely watch!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Originally Posted by Parker0065

Actually I love that idea, except just have them train the person for the normal 6-8 weeks, or whatever the normal series time frame, then have the two players duke it out in a match in the finale.

Anyways I'm sure we would never see that because the Golf Channel probably wouldn't budget the money for two high profile instructors on one single show. If they did I would definitely watch!!

Or maybe put Haney up against one of the 5SK guys. I know who I'm betting on.

Originally Posted by LSU_justin

Or maybe put Haney up against one of the 5SK guys. I know who I'm betting on.

Or 5SK against S&T;, that would be a fun one.

Joe Paradiso

I have the same feeling as Clark.  Seeing him teaching Charles Barkley is horrible.  Should a good instructor teaches according to the student body types, strength etc.  Since Charles can't swing, then why teaching him to do what you think, a normal swing?  May be he is better in a hitting procedure due to his strength and less feasiblility?

I also have doublt about his personality, writing a book about his student.

Concur!..Took my son there 10 years ago..Rude, arrogant instructor, very condescending and could not even demo the shot he was trying to teach. After paying the $360 per hr rate, I had second thoughts and canceled payment of the check. I called Haney to tell him of my experience..and he started yelling at me..Whenever he comes on the GC, I change channels....never, never again will I have anything to do with those losers.

Originally Posted by CrazyD3

I have the same feeling as Clark.  Seeing him teaching Charles Barkley is horrible.  Should a good instructor teaches according to the student body types, strength etc.  Since Charles can't swing, then why teaching him to do what you think, a normal swing?  May be he is better in a hitting procedure due to his strength and less feasibility?

I also have doubt about his personality, writing a book about his student.

I just completed Lessons at an indoor facility. I came to my instructor with several issues due to my occupation (I have lived in a bucket truck, working for a utility for the last 18 years) . My feet were firmly anchored to the ground, range of motion was ridiculously limited. He slowly worked with each phase of my swing, first getting me to swing more fluidly than I had ever done before. He got my follow through to be much more complete. And finally got my right foot to move correctly after hitting the ball.

Over the last 4 weeks of dedicated practise, I am ready to try this for real. My 'Pro" took what I brought to him and he managed to just adjust me  to what I need to do. I watched the Charles Barkley series, and Mr. Haney failed. But he got ratings enough to continue the series.  After all, that's what matters on TV, not when we play.

This coming Thursday, I take my newly found "skills" out for the first time. Planning to Tee off about 7:30 am. Forecast: Cold (40 to 50*) and Windy, with a chance of some Rain... But I work out side for a living, I got my first Par in 51 MPH winds... Coldest night I've ever worked was -20* (came home to a cracked foundation of my house, and  the gas in my truck was so cold, that it took 10 minutes to drive up a hill that normally takes only about one). And Rain? Nope never got any of that crap on me...

Wish me luck, Any score less than 102, and that ball goes in my Trophy case!

~Tom B.

~Tom B.

I ordered a Chicken and an Egg on the Internet, to find out which came first... I'll keep you posted!

• 3 months later...

Truly o ne of the best instruction experiences ever.  I was welcomed as I was, started where I was, no judgement and improved substantially.  Their entire way of teaching is different - you actually learn why the ball is doing what it is doing.  Truly great.  You get what you pay for and either instructor level seems good.  Clearly the folks teaching their schools could be "directors" elsewhere."  Start with the one you can afford.  And, did the person who emailed or called you or however you get the information provide good service?

Originally Posted by Golfmom

Truly one of the best instruction experiences ever.  I was welcomed as I was, started where I was, no judgement and improved substantially.  Their entire way of teaching is different - you actually learn why the ball is doing what it is doing.  Truly great.  You get what you pay for and either instructor level seems good.  Clearly the folks teaching their schools could be "directors" elsewhere."  Start with the one you can afford.  And, did the person who emailed or called you or however you get the information provide good service?

Welcome... what was that about?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Uh... yeah.... thanks for the plug Mr. Haney. Teacher by day, Golf Mom at night...

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Note: This thread is 3932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!