IGNORED

Blade irons

keller19xc
Note: This thread is 3880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I purchased blades early this year and added a club of distance. I can generate so much spin with them. My 4i often sits behind its pitch mark on long approaches. While my handicap may not reflect it, I have dropped 4 shots since gaming these clubs. My inconsistencies lie in the short game. Purchase whatever you feel confident standing over 220 out with a water carry and o.b behind :)

:titleist: 913 D2 8.75* Adilia Tour Green 65 Stiff Shaft

Rocketballz Stage 2 3Wood 15* Stiff Shaft

Victory Red TW Forged Blades 3-PW Dynamic Gold S300 Shaft

CG Forged Dark Chrome CC Gap Wedge 52*

RAC Black TP 56*

:cleve: 588 RTX 60*

White Smoke IN-12 Blade Putter     Penta TP5

Purchase whatever you feel confident standing over 220 out with a water carry and o.b behind :)

Lol ... Pretty sure somewhere north of 99% of people on this forum (or anywhere on the planet for that matter) aren't using ANY type of iron to hit that shot.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lol ... Pretty sure somewhere north of 99% of people on this forum (or anywhere on the planet for that matter) aren't using ANY type of iron to hit that shot.

I suddenly get why the distance threads should reflect actual distances. Once you establish that you could hypothetically carry a 3i 220 yards, all the other posts you write need to reflect those previous posts. Yeah, 3W for me or splash.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by brj872

I purchased blades early this year and added a club of distance. I can generate so much spin with them. My 4i often sits behind its pitch mark on long approaches. While my handicap may not reflect it, I have dropped 4 shots since gaming these clubs. My inconsistencies lie in the short game.

Purchase whatever you feel confident standing over 220 out with a water carry and o.b behind :)

Given the average driving distance for Amateurs isn't over 220 yards, I wouldn't recommend that

There is something to finding clubs you are confident in. I do believe that having a club that feels different on miss-struck golf balls can make a difference in ball striking. If you can't tell the difference between a toe and the sweet spot, then that might cause a bit of and issue trying to develop consistency hitting the sweet spot. There is something to be said though about having enough forgiveness that you're not loosing strokes as well. So, for me its finding the balance between clubs that feels good, looks good, and won't hurt my game. More and more pro's are going to blade looking irons, but with forgiveness technology. Like Ping i20's, they look very blade-ish, but it's basically a slight cavity back.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

T[quote name="geauxforbroke" url="/t/65977/blade-irons/30#post_891197"] Then explain the numerous pros that play non-blades that have no trouble sticking it close. [/quote]they just aren't as good... Just kidding... well I mean like not with my HUGE cavity back, the pw is messed up looking and it sucks up confidence, and most of those guys play small cavities like the ping i20

Given the average driving distance for Amateurs isn't over 220 yards, I wouldn't recommend that a2_wink.gif There is something to finding clubs you are confident in. I do believe that having a club that feels different on miss-struck golf balls can make a difference in ball striking. If you can't tell the difference between a toe and the sweet spot, then that might cause a bit of and issue trying to develop consistency hitting the sweet spot. There is something to be said though about having enough forgiveness that you're not loosing strokes as well. So, for me its finding the balance between clubs that feels good, looks good, and won't hurt my game. More and more pro's are going to blade looking irons, but with forgiveness technology. Like Ping i20's, they look very blade-ish, but it's basically a slight cavity back.

[quote name="nick1998bunker" url="/t/65977/blade-irons/30#post_891360"]T they just aren't as good... Just kidding... well I mean like not with my HUGE cavity back, the pw is messed up looking and it sucks up confidence, and most of those guys play small cavities like the ping i20[/quote]Sorry, as much as I'd like to think that I play "almost" blades, I'm going to have to disagree on this one. They have a "relatively" thin top line but other than that there isn't anything remotely "blade like" about i20s.

Sorry, as much as I'd like to think that I play "almost" blades, I'm going to have to disagree on this one. They have a "relatively" thin top line but other than that there isn't anything remotely "blade like" about i20s.

the pros that don't play blades play them because they either can't hit the sweet spot or can't/ don't work the ball

the pros that don't play blades play them because they either can't hit the sweet spot or can't/ don't work the ball

Did you know that somewhere in the vicinity of 65-75% of pros don't play blades anymore? (Based off an article I just googled from 2011, so the numbers probably higher now). Also, 75% of this years major winners (I think just rose plays rocketbladez, mick plays x forged, and duf plays ap2) don't play blades either.

Originally Posted by 460CompMark

if you are not a 4 handicap or less, don't waste your time.  i see that you are a 10 handicapper.  i would stick with a good forged cavity back.  im a 2 handicap and i use cavity backs.  you mishit a blade and you will feel it all the way up your arm into your shoulder.  mishitting a CB is not nearly as bad.  unless you hit the screw 95% of the time, you are hurting yourself going blades.  CB's have come a long way since the 90s.  a lot of pros use CB's.

I agree. The key word here is "forged" as that is what gives you feedback on mishits which is not as apparent in "cast". That, and the actual size of the club head. I worked at Titleist and hated it when they came out with the Oversize Plus Irons. To me, none have the feel of the DCI Blacks.  I also agree that starting out on "blades" will not make  you any better or worse than not. You will learn to hit whatever you started with. Would CB's make it easier? Perhaps.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I admit not watching enough golf, but the pros hit the pin or are pin high within 1 yard. If you strike a blade 1/8" off that's more than a yard. This is assuming you hit the sweet spot. I have 2 sets of blades and ping I20s. The I20 are SGI clubs and look nothing like a blade. The sole is twice as thick, and the face is about 20% bigger. There's a weight in the toe to help toe shots. Plus, the top line is much thicker.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

That's only 200m right? I suppose you're right, if there is any sort of breeze hurting I'm hitting my 17* rescue haha.

:titleist: 913 D2 8.75* Adilia Tour Green 65 Stiff Shaft

Rocketballz Stage 2 3Wood 15* Stiff Shaft

Victory Red TW Forged Blades 3-PW Dynamic Gold S300 Shaft

CG Forged Dark Chrome CC Gap Wedge 52*

RAC Black TP 56*

:cleve: 588 RTX 60*

White Smoke IN-12 Blade Putter     Penta TP5

Did you know that somewhere in the vicinity of 65-75% of pros don't play blades anymore? (Based off an article I just googled from 2011, so the numbers probably higher now). Also, 75% of this years major winners (I think just rose plays rocketbladez, mick plays x forged, and duf plays ap2) don't play blades either.

Ok I maybe not blades but they do play forged Mostly, I'm just saying the vast majority of them aren't playing rocket balls or ping g20....some are yes, but most no [quote name="Lihu" url="/t/65977/blade-irons/30#post_891381"] I admit not watching enough golf, but the pros hit the pin or are pin high within 1 yard. If you strike a blade 1/8" off that's more than a yard. This is assuming you hit the sweet spot. I have 2 sets of blades and ping I20s. The I20 are SGI clubs and look nothing like a blade. The sole is twice as thick, and the face is about 20% bigger. There's a weight in the toe to help toe shots. Plus, the top line is much thicker.[/quote] yes I was kidding about the not hitting the sweet spot to try and point out that they probably don't care about working the ball as well

Originally Posted by nick1998bunker

1.Ok I maybe not blades but they do play forged

Mostly, I'm just saying the vast majority of them aren't playing rocket balls or ping g20....some are yes, but most no

2.yes I was kidding about the not hitting the sweet spot to try and point out that they probably don't care about working the ball as well

1. So what?

2. No you weren't.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I am. I'm hitting a 9 iron and laying up... 220 carry with an iron? No thanks for me. If I really needed a birdie and it was worth the risk, I would definitely be pulling a wood for that shot.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Is there no limit to the number of posts where you crap on about how great you are?

You are full of it. Boastful and immodest. And dishonest.

You also need to educate yourself (and not just to the point where you can write a sentence without a howler in it.)

The majority of pros do not use "blades".

With your level of perfection, you should be on tour already.

Got to love this post.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

FWIW (not a lot), Rose uses the Tour Preferred blades in the 7-iron down I think. Even Garcia (and he's a pretty pure ball-striker) uses the RBZ Tour now I think.

I've always used blades as they were pretty much all that were around when I picked the game up and I couldn't justify the price of Pings to my dad. Now, it's a lot about the look at address - I'm used to and really like the look of a typical blade-type iron. It's one of the reasons I hate typical hybrids although I have conceded to using Mizuno's MP-FliHi long irons. The modern Tour-type CB look pretty tasty to me now but I'm not ready (or can afford!) to splash the cash just yet. Reckon when my current (and the duplicate back-up set I have) MacGregors wear out, I'll go for some sort of modern AP2, Titleist CB or similar.

To the OP: On blades vs. cavities in general. Don't believe all the press about blades being hard to hit cf. cavities (as if cavities are sooo much easier) or being 'ready' for blades. If you like the look of some, go for it. You won't gain much from cavities instead. What did Trevino(?) say: Indian not the arrow? Or as an engineer friend of mine might put it: crap in, crap out.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Is there no limit to the number of posts where you crap on about how great you are? You are full of it. Boastful and immodest. And dishonest. You also need to educate yourself (and not just to the point where you can write a sentence without a howler in it.) The majority of pros do not use "blades".  With your level of perfection, you should be on tour already.

Yes I should... But I think I've been cultured enough and realize I now know nothing about what I thought I knew

Note: This thread is 3880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!