IGNORED

ADVICE-"Bump and run" vs. flop shots

Note: This thread is 4033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Bump and run is a much safer shot because its easier to control and predict.  The problem with a flop shot is that its easy to blade the ball and hit a low, line drive that goes 30 yards over the green and because its difficult to predict where it will stop because you never know just how much spin you are going to get.

The flop is a great shot if you have the skill to pull it off but its also a high risk shot that most pros would advise you to use only when you have no other option.

The opposite is often far more true for people that know how to hit a simple pitch shot.

More often distance control becomes more difficult with a bump and run. A 2 MPH error on a club moving 10 MPH is a larger error than a 5 MPH error on a club moving 50 MPH.

"Flop" may shift the odds somewhat depending on how one defines "flop" but it doesn't have to. I can hit a "flop" shot from a relatively square setup.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You are not taking in the mishits, assuming you need 50mph clubhead speed to hit a flop shot the same distance with a 10mph bump and run, if you blade the ball where would it go? I bet it would end up on the green, next hole's green maybe?

It is a high risk/high reward shot, and if you can pull it off, it might be more accurate than bump and run.

Originally Posted by fRzzy

You are not taking in the mishits, assuming you need 50mph clubhead speed to hit a flop shot the same distance with a 10mph bump and run, if you blade the ball where would it go? I bet it would end up on the green, next hole's green maybe?

It is a high risk/high reward shot, and if you can pull it off, it might be more accurate than bump and run.

My experience with this shot (meaning the technique that Erik and Mike advocate) so far is that it's damn near impossible to blade it. Maybe off a really hard lie where the club bounces up into the ball, I haven't had the opportunity to try that but so far I haven't bladed a single one and believe me, if it was blade-able I would be blading it!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

If a pitch shot is a high risk/high reward shot, you're not doing it properly. It's one of the safest, easiest shots in the bag.

And again, if we're talking about a true big ol' FLOP shot, then I don't really understand the question: I've never faced a situation where I have to choose between a chip and a FLOP shot.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

My experience with this shot (meaning the technique that Erik and Mike advocate) so far is that it's damn near impossible to blade it. Maybe off a really hard lie where the club bounces up into the ball, I haven't had the opportunity to try that but so far I haven't bladed a single one and believe me, if it was blade-able I would be blading it!

I hit several off the putting green at the clinic in San Diego last Friday.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have to agree, once i watched the pitching video here on the forum, i found my pitching really got better. The only time i blade a pitching wedge is when i do something stupid like stop rotating, and my arms start to slow down, so the hands flip at the ball. I was so use to chunking or thinning shots, i got scared of actually hitting the ball with speed. When i do, i don't ever thin or chunk a shot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

This is still all being based off of X skill level, where X at this time is not being set and defined. Obviously, a lower handicap player is going to have much less risk with a general "flop" shot than a high handicap player.

Again, how are we classifying a flop shot? As Erik stated, you can hit a general 'flop' shot from a relatively square address. I've played a flop from a cart path in the past (though it wasn't necessary and was only done in practice/fun).

If you're talking about a Phil Mickelson style flop shot from the fairway, just off of the fringe, I really don't see the point in this.

I would also personally prefer the pitch as opposed to a bump and run because again, it is what I am used to and personally find myself to have a more favorable end-result.

I also have to agree that I have never been faced with a decision where a flop and chip were considered in the same pre-shot thought process.

Perhap some of you please post some videos showing what kind of shots are you talking about? Flop shots seem to me are the kind of shots that send the ball go straight up, barely move forward and stay where it drop, maybe back off a little?

• Administrator
Perhap some of you please post some videos showing what kind of shots are you talking about? Flop shots seem to me are the kind of shots that send the ball go straight up, barely move forward and stay where it drop, maybe back off a little?

One is never in the situation where he has to choose between that and a bump and run.

Originally Posted by iacas

One is never in the situation where he has to choose between that and a bump and run.

If your young and stupid, yea you can substitute a bump and run for a flop shot ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Completely understand the bump and run and know that it's wise to be able to use longer clubs from fringe areas to a pin 50' away.  Since I don't practice all the shots or have distance control across clubs down cold, my club of choice is my 58* wedge used to fly the ball near the hole.  My wedge is a prior generation, (illegal now?) Vokey.  It flies high, comes down soft and stops cold.  It's very predictable to me whereas the bump and run shots can be an adventure.  Last bump and run shot was a fullj-on shank.  Gotta stick with what works for me.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Originally Posted by David in FL

You should putt when you can.  Hit a chip (bump and run) when you can't putt, and pitch only when you can't reasonably chip.

That's what Hank Haney says - and I follow it whenever possible. Sometimes I do 80 yard putts with my niblick.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

That's what Hank Haney says - and I follow it whenever possible. Sometimes I do 80 yard putts with my niblick.

Me too ... Until I learned Mike and Erik's pitching technique on Friday. Now I'm going to be skipping over the chipping option and go straight from putting to pitching. Ill definitely keep Putting whenever I can though.

Thanks for all the advice everyone and the chipping videos...I actually play my chip shots similiar to the videos but I still get some ball carry..This guy appeared to be hitting the same chip shot, but the ball would just "hop" once or twice and stop close to the pin...Thats why I think he was opening the face on his 52,56 deg wedges..

ALSO,,,,I've never played a course that had such differant greens ..Seriously, the front nine greens were smooth and fast...I ended up six over par,, and my first drive of the day was left side fairway OB, penalty stroke....I was playing strong until I hit these heavily airated sandy greens..The sand wasn't spread in any kind of uniform pattern,some areas were thick some thin..It was impossible to judge speed and his high pitch play removed the problem all together..

I will definately work on my chipping more and thanks for the videos,,.I know they will help improve my game...Now I cant decide between a 56 or 58..I'm leaning towards the 56 degree because several years ago I had a bad experience with a 60 lob wedge for at least a month...I practiced and practiced until I felt confident...It cost me so many strokes on the course,, thats what made me work on my bump and run even more...I struggle less with a lower lofted wedge and I'm thinking a 56 will be my highest loft in the bag..

My new set of irons came with a standard PW...ALSO a 50 deg approach wedge that I drop dead on at 100 yds,,LOVE IT...I havent tried to many short pitches with it yet though..I need to plan a pitching practice session one of these weekends...

Rich

Note: This thread is 4033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!