IGNORED

Driver and Woods and Head Covers?

Note: This thread is 3968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have always wondered this. Most golfers do not put covers on their irons, myself included. Why do most golfers, myself included, keep a head cover on our drivers and woods. What about our woods and drivers make them require protection? I know they tend to be hollow and dentable, but 20 years ago they were solid wood and most people kept them covered. I have seen threads here discussing if you should have your irons covered but why should I have my woods and driver covered?

Dave M

I use wood covers because they are painted, so its easy to chip the paint.  Not to mention the sound of them clinking together my entire round would drive me crazy.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Drivers are made of thin-walled titanium, irons are thick steel. That's the difference.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use wood covers because they are painted, so its easy to chip the paint.

[quote name="jamo" url="/t/66915/driver-and-woods-and-head-covers#post_842402"]Drivers are made of thin-walled titanium, irons are thick steel. That's the difference. [/quote] Yep, to both of these........

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I kind if figured when it came to the modern drivers, I put a dent in my driver first time out with it. Never thought about the finish on a wooden driver. Makes total sense now. Thanks

Hang on guys... Any good titanium driver is not going to dent from riding in a cart... The cheap aluminum ones do, but any name brand should be under warranty and replaced if it Dents even from you smacking a ball the wrong way. I Actaully under cover mine the whole round and cover back up after round is over. I always cover woods/ hybrids because they are similar lengths and bang together loudly the whole time.

Originally Posted by clutchshot

Hang on guys... Any good titanium driver is not going to dent from riding in a cart... The cheap aluminum ones do, but any name brand should be under warranty and replaced if it Dents even from you smacking a ball the wrong way.

Good luck getting a warranty claim approved on that.  They arent going to warranty something that was abused.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Good luck getting a warranty claim approved on that.  They arent going to warranty something that was abused.

They are covered... they aren't supposed to dent... Just like the they covered if your shaft breaks... (TM does at least... I can't speak for every brand)

The longer headcovers on woods offer a bit of protection for the shafts as well. I am more concerned about the shafts banging around than the club heads. Keeping the painted finish on my woods chip-free is a bonus too.

I like looking down at a driver/wood head that is scratch free.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Ive seen the iron covers at the store but rarely see anyone using them. Might not be a bad idea for forged irons as they tend to ding easier. I do think that would be a hassle every time you use an iron to remove or replace the cover.

Ping G20 iron

Ping G20 pitching,sand and approach wedges

Ping G25 driver

Adams 19* and 22* hybrid

Ping G25 3 wood

Ping Karsten putter

Ping pioneer cart bag

Bridgestone E6

Note: This thread is 3968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!