IGNORED

Does the Ball go Too Far?

Note: This thread is 6131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Does the ball go too far?

• Yes
    • No

No, I don't think so. "Drive for show, putt for dough."

You still have to be precise, and be able to make putts despite the amazing technology with the golf ball.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Well, let me think about that.
Twenty or so years ago, if I hit a drive 210 that was very large, 220 was absolutely out of this world!
I was using my Wilson 1200GE driver(considered a pretty good club at the time) to smack Titleist DT90's and I could not even come close to the club pro's 270 yarders. He was awesome!!
Today, 20 years later,( age 45 to 65) if I don't hit it 220 I must have "toed, topped or heeled it" or worse.
I don't know if is the ball, the club, or my incredible physical condition, but it sure goes farther.
However, my scores haven’t improved.
We have come a long way in all phases of the game. It would be unfair to say that the "ball" goes too far and is hurting the game. The game is in it's best shape ever. More players, more interest, more, more,more,etc.

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

Ball does not go too far.

They hit it farther for many reasons, all suggested by iacas in the original posting.

Among the reasons, one which isn't seldom discussed is that the pros _try_ to hit it farther today than in the past. They swing for the fences more, and are probably encouraged to do so because the balls and clubs are such that the ball doesn't curve as much as it once did.

As for the tremendous distances that iron shots are hit, there are 2 factors which play into this. First, better technology in the iron heads means that the ball is easier to get airborne with less loft, so lofts are stronger. Today's 180 yard 8 iron shot is the equivalent to something like a 6 or "6.5" iron of the 1970s. Also, better conditioning of fairways, giving better lies, allows the players to hit it flush more with the irons, also helping distance.

Finally, the notion that only the top players have gotten longer is ridiculous. An average drive for me has improved by probably 20 yards over the last 10 years. I am an 11 hcp player with a swing speed measured at between 96-101 mph with a driver.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

the further the ball goes the better

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

the ball will never go too far because they will always make the courses longer as the clubs go longer

In the OGIO OZONE Bag
Driver: SuperQuad 9.5
3 Wood- V steel 15 ALDILA NV s
Irons- Hogan Apex FTX
Wedges- CG14 52 56Putter- Odyssey XG model #9Ball- Pro v 1 xShoes- Adidas Tour Metal

the ball will never go too far because they will always make the courses longer as the clubs go longer

Yes, but what happens for courses that don't have room to expand? Are the greatest courses out there going to be reduced to mere pitch and putt courses?

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• Administrator
Yes, but what happens for courses that don't have room to expand? Are the greatest courses out there going to be reduced to mere pitch and putt courses?

If they haven't been by now they won't be dramatically. The ball goes as far as it's legally allowed and even the long-drive guys don't get substantially more distance than PGA Tour pros.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Does the ball go to far?

I played this weekend and there was a 608 yard par 5 from the blues. I promise you, the ball couldn't go far enough :)

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

• 3 weeks later...
The hole was downwind and downhill. You weren't at that tournament to see that drive - I was. Fred Funk carried the ball over 300 yards and it rolled out to 350 to 360. I hit the ball about as far as Fred Funk.

People come to see the big drives. If you take that away, you drrive fans away from the teeboxes, for instance people flocked the the teeboxes to see Daly's long drives and him. Many people come to see the long drive.

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

Note: This thread is 6131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!