IGNORED

Your favorite -- or least favorite -- golf clichés

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 5307 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What's your favorite or least favorite golf cliché?

Whether it's from TV announcers, golf writers, a golf bud, your regular foursome, something that's funny or turns your stomach, clever, humorous, stupid, disingenuous or whatever?

I'll start with "wheelhouse" as in, "This shot's right in your wheelhouse, Jim."

This one (wheelhouse), to me, is kind of "middle-of-the-road"; I want to leave all of the really good ones -- or really bad ones -- for YOU !

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you knock it off the tee unintentionally and some idiot says "one!" like it's funny. Gosh, I hate that!

Whew, glad I got that off my chest.

In my bag:
Driver: Launcher COMP 9.5* (Aldila NV 65S 350)
Fairway wood: Warbird 4-wood
Irons: X-18 Pro Series (3-PW)
Wedges: Vokey 252.08 and SM58.12Ball: Pro V1

When you knock it off the tee unintentionally and some idiot says "one!" like it's funny. Gosh, I hate that!

Haha I didn't think about that, but I completely agree! Personally, it bothers me when people take their practice swing and knock out huge pieces of grass.
In My Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R580XD Titanium Driver w/ graphite shaft 10.5*
Fairway Woods: TaylorMade V-Steel 3 Wood 15* 5 Wood 18*
Irons: TaylorMade rac OS2 Iron Set 3-PW w/ Steel ShaftWedges: Cleveland Tour Action 485 SW 56*Putter: An old Pete Cooper Autographed Model

favorite: "that dog will hunt"

least favorite: "Tigers on the prowl"

another 1 that I kinda dislike a bit that you hear alot on the course among friends or even fellow pairings is: "what you hit"

How about when you're taking a practice swing and some idiot yells "strike 1"

does that count?

In my Essex Stand Bag:
3 Wood: F/Speed - Aldila S Graphite Shaft
Hybrid: Halo 3i 22° - R Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Glass Bead - Lob Wedge - 60°Putter: Tour Collection MX400 (LOVE IT!)Ball: HX-Tour 56 - Pro-V1XHome Courses: Stone Mountain Golf Course (73.5/134)

One that really irks me while watching a tournament on tv is when some shmoe yells out "You da man!" for you-know-who! I mean, if I was Tiger, I'd say "shut the #%$& up already!" This goes on for every single hole he tees up on.

Oh and another: "Its in the hole!" .... its a friggin par 5, you dope!

Sorry, I just had to vent!!!!!
In my Sun Mountain Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R7 SuperQuad 10.5°
3 wood: TaylorMade R7 Steel
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 2i(18*), 3i(20*)Irons: Titleist Ap2Wedges: Titleist Vokey 50* Oil Can & 54* SMPutter: Odyssey Black Series #1 / Ping Piper I-Series

The reply of "Sally" when you short a long putt kind of annoys me.
My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

When hitting the green, but far from the stick:

"you're on the dance floor.........but a long way from the band"
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Never up, never in. - Least favorite.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

When I leave a putt short my explanation is often that "it got caught in my skirt."

My brother-in law refers to bunkers as "pits" or sometimes "sand pits." That bugs the hell out of me.

My Dad also abuses the hell out of "pin high." Does not matter how far right or left I am..."ah you're about pin high." Yeah...I'm pin high in a bush that is behind a tree that in front of a massive bunker...but at least I'm pin high!

You da man obviously has to go. I suggest we replace it with "You are so god lookin!"

Most lines from Caddyshack and Happy Gilmore are played out, but I will admit that earlier in the year when I had a crucial putt, I was pulling the old Billy Baroo out of my bag and saying "Oh Billy Billy Billy Billy" under my breath.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

This is a great thread. There are so many stupid sayings to choose from, I don't know where to begin!

I hate that Sally one. Obviously when I hit a putt like a 10 year old girl, I deserve it, but come up with something a little more creative, will you?

Never up, never in. Just played out beyond belief. My dad's been telling me this one ever since I learned to speak.

That's trouble. (Usually after a 180° sliced laser beam directly into the woods.) No SH!T Sherlock. Thanks for pointing that out.

I guess I just hate when people state the obvious.

Ones I like:

You're in jail. (Behind tree-line or other trouble requiring a miracle to get out of)
Good ball. Not really a cliche, I guess I hear it so FEW times each round, it's nice to crush a shot and have the other guys say, "Good ball!"

I know there's more, my friends know lots of them, but I'm still relatively new at this culture so I forgot a lot of the ones that I hear and like...
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

Favorite without a doubt... when someone makes an ugly good score, like par on a 3 after getting up and down from 60 yards, "You don't have to draw a picture on the scorecard." I never miss a chance to use it.

Nothing from Caddyshack ever gets old.

"Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones

In my Ping Hoofer Extreme...
Triumph TC-100 1 iron
TaylorMade R7 Quad 10.5* and 15* BurnerTriumph 3-PW, TaylorMade 2Pinnacle GoldsA no-name blade handed down to me from my father, and to him...

I have a friend that after every bad chip or putt says "I thought it had more break than that!".... no you didnt

I hate:
"You picked your head up"
"the winds got it"....... yup the 5mph left to right wind made your ball take a sharp right turn, it wasnt your slice

Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

Thought of another: When your shot is heading way left or way right and someone says "come back!" It's not a boomerang, it's a golf ball.

In my bag:
Driver: Launcher COMP 9.5* (Aldila NV 65S 350)
Fairway wood: Warbird 4-wood
Irons: X-18 Pro Series (3-PW)
Wedges: Vokey 252.08 and SM58.12Ball: Pro V1

• Administrator
I dislike anyone talking to my ball (except me of course). I don't care how good the shot looks - only I know if I hit it right or got away with it, and at impact I know how much it's going to draw or cut.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most Favorite--Anyone I can use on my regular playing partners...

Lease Favorite--Anyone they use on me...

I think this is how it goes...a certain part of the game is the ribbing you give and get from your friends. It is nice to hear a clever zinger once in a while, but more often than not it is the typical, "Does your husband Play" or "hit the ball Sally/Nancy".

I do love "the wind got it" when there is no wind blowing...gotta learn to roll with it or the game will just eat you up.

Best of all time---"Why won't you just go to your home!!" or any line from Caddyshack".

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

Least favorite - Never up, never in, as I mentioned before. Also, "Sit" is getting pretty old.

Most favorite - "Get Jesus boots" when I hit a shot super thin over a forced carry across a lake, and it skips across to the other side.

What I use most - Any colorful four-letter word if I make a bad shot or blow a putt. Or "Hit the damn ball" after I leave a chip/putt woefully short.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Note: This thread is 5307 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!