IGNORED

recycled golf balls

Note: This thread is 3921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

While I don`t play the "reloads", I do buy from Lostgolfballs,and they`ve been great.My course is 9 holes,with OB on 7 of the holes,and water on 7 holes,with a lot of hills/mounds that can get you in trouble,too. I play Pro V`s,Bridgestone 330`s,Callaway ix,and Talormade TP/LDP`s.I get good deals from LGB and it keeps my cost down. I think the "reloads" are refinished,painted,so I don`t really know what you`ll be getting.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don`t play the "reloads", I do buy from Lostgolfballs,and they`ve been great.My course is 9 holes,with OB on 7 of the holes,and water on 7 holes,with a lot of hills/mounds that can get you in trouble,too. I play Pro V`s,Bridgestone 330`s,Callaway ix,and Talormade TP/LDP`s.I get good deals from LGB and it keeps my cost down. I think the "reloads" are refinished,painted,so I don`t really know what you`ll be getting.

What do you recommend for LGB quality rating? AAA? AAAA?

My Bag

Grom
r7 Limited 10.5
Hybrid 3 Baffler BB 2004 Irons 4-PW, GW, SW Vokey 60 wedge White HotProV1x

I generally don't play recycled balls, but I have been known to buy a few dozen for my shag bag. Random tip: I've been told by people who are supposedly in the know (i.e., patent lawyers), that the Bridgestone ball cover actually can absorb water if submerged for a long period. This isn't a problem for rain or a dunking in the ball washer, but can be if say, in the bottom of a lake for awhile. Caveat Emptor on used balls.

I generally don't play recycled balls, but I have been known to buy a few dozen for my shag bag. Random tip: I've been told by people who are supposedly in the know (i.e., patent lawyers), that the Bridgestone ball cover actually can absorb water if submerged for a long period. This isn't a problem for rain or a dunking in the ball washer, but can be if say, in the bottom of a lake for awhile. Caveat Emptor on used balls.

+1

When someone can tell me what an AAA or AAAA ball looks like on the INSIDE, then I'll take those ratings seriously.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

W I think the "reloads" are refinished,painted,so I don`t really know what you`ll be getting.

Repainted?

Maybe I'm dense, but doesn't the original surface material of the ball have a lot to do with the aerodynamics? It would seem to me that repainting or refinishing a ball would have an unpredictable impact on how the ball flew (although I'm sure it will make the ball LOOK nicer.)

53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

I found a guy in my neighborhood that sells Pro Vs for $18 a dozen...feel pretty comfortable about them, I doubt he is fishing them out of any ponds.

My Bag

Grom
r7 Limited 10.5
Hybrid 3 Baffler BB 2004 Irons 4-PW, GW, SW Vokey 60 wedge White HotProV1x

well, ive tried new and used prov1's and noticed no difference whatsoever.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Everyone knows that quality costs money.

When some smart company invents a $100 a dozen ball we'll all be scratch golfers...

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Everyone knows that quality costs money.

Or the economy is down the poopers and there's a lot of inflation.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I wonder a lot lately what the cost of making an a prov1, tp red, or 330rx really is.. Im betteing its less than 1$ a ball. I mean honestly, I know some of them are 4 piece, but considering they are mass produced, the cost cant be that high. Its not like the materials are rare or anything.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

I wonder a lot lately what the cost of making an a prov1, tp red, or 330rx really is.. Im betteing its less than 1$ a ball. I mean honestly, I know some of them are 4 piece, but considering they are mass produced, the cost cant be that high. Its not like the materials are rare or anything.

Economics 101 - Make the best product and set your price to supply vs. demand.

When someone can tell me what an AAA or AAAA ball looks like on the INSIDE, then I'll take those ratings seriously.

One of my local courses let me go into the woods/creek and get golf balls, I have a pro-v1 (creek pull) that has dirt caked on pretty well, which is a sign of long submersion. If you want, I can cut it open with a saw zaw and post pics. If you can think of a better way, I can try it instead. Other than the dirt it is in good condition.

to the person who asked. AAAA quality balls look very nice. Not perfectly brand new but they looked like someone lost them after a hole or two. I just bought 72 TP RED LDP for about 1$ a ball

Sumo 10.5*
R7 Draw 15* 3W
3dx 17* 2H
Pi5 3-PW
Spin Milled Vokey 54* CG11 60* C-01

He was curious about the inside of the ball... after it's been knocked around or submerged, how does it hold up.

3:10-3:30 will give you a feel for his concern

He was curious about the inside of the ball... after it's been knocked around or submerged, how does it hold up.

I thought my point was pretty obvious. When people talk about buying used balls, they always talk about the conditions of the OUTSIDE of the ball. The only way to know the condition of the inside of a "lost" ball you have purchased is to cut the ball open (which makes it unplayable.)

When you purchase a dozen used balls you are gambling on the condition of the inside of the ball. For all you know, the best looking balls on the outside are the ones that have sat at the bottom of a lake for six months (or maybe not, but you don't know.) If a ball has degraded (even just 1%), is it stilll the same ball as the new one? I have argued here before that if you are going to spend $30 a dozen on used balls, you would be better off spending that $30 on new balls in a different brand/type. There are a lot of darn good balls/brands out there. The question is are (possibly) degraded pro-v1s at $30 a doz. better balls than another brand/ball that is (guranteed) non-degraded at $30 a doz? All that glitters is not gold. A nice OUTSIDE of a ball does not mean the inside isn't degraded.

Do you have any maxfli noodle, precept mc lady, or tm burner balls? I just got a recycled bag that came with mostly these and would be happy to cut them open. We can post pics and compare.

Anyone with new noodles/lady/burners?

Do you have any maxfli noodle, precept mc lady, or tm burner balls? I just got a recycled bag that came with mostly these and would be happy to cut them open. We can post pics and compare.

You still wouldn't know if EVERY used ball was that same quality. The sample ball you cut up may have been picked up next to the fairway 1 hour after it was hit once, or it may have been sitting at the bottom of a lake for months. You wouldn't know (nor would you know about the ball sitting next to it in the bag you didn't cut up.)

IMHO, golf is a game of consistency and repeatable results. Being able to do the same thing over and over again. Used balls undermine consistency (imho) because you can't gurantee it. Out of a dozen used balls, you might end up with a batch that is: 4 - like new 3 - 1% degraded 3 - 5% degraded 1 - 7% degraded 1 - 10% degraded When teeing up a used ball, you have no way of knowing what it is till you hit it. You don't know it that used pro-v1 will actually play like a new one or something else. What you definintly will get is inconsistency. With a dozen new balls you get: 12 - like new Will it act like a new pro-v1? Not unless it is, but it will act like a new ball of its brand/model is supposed to act. Every time. Consistently.

All the used ones I have used have been great.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Note: This thread is 3921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!