Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kvuo

breaking 100/90/80 etc.

7 posts in this topic

simple question, if my best score ever is 47 on 9 holes, my best 18 is probably 110, have I "broken 100"?

(don't get to play a lot of 18 hole rounds is why I ask)

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Originally Posted by kvuo

simple question, if my best score ever is 47 on 9 holes, my best 18 is probably 110, have I "broken 100"?

(don't get to play a lot of 18 hole rounds is why I ask)

no, but you've broken 50 on 9, similar, but not quite the same

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

that's what I figured.. "sorta, but not quite". :)

I shall endeavour to get under 100 Monday on full 18 then !!!

Originally Posted by kvuo

that's what I figured.. "sorta, but not quite". :)

I shall endeavour to get under 100 Monday on full 18 then !!

good luck...

what is par? i was almost impressed with myself last year reviewing my scores when I saw that I had posted a couple of mid 90's scores, then i realized that par was 65 on the course... talk about being deflated!

I also play on a 9 hole course frequently enough, and it is only a par of like 32. So any score over 41 doesn't really boost the ego any more either :0)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The way I broke 90 was treating every hole as a par 5. You will be surprised how close you will get. It helped me not get rattled when I missed the par putt.

No - breaking 50 for 9 holes is not the same as breaking 100 for 18.  I also play mostly 9 hole rounds.  I play 9 once or twice a week but only get out for a full 18 5-6 times per year.

I have scored as low as 42 for 9 holes but my best 18 hole total is 94.  For me, the difference is focus.  It's not that I get physically tired on the back nine - it's that I lose focus and become "mentally tired".  I think if I played 18 more often, my 18 hole scores would come down - it's just that I'm used to focusing on golf for 2 hours at a time.  In a sense, it's the same principal at play that makes it much harder for pros to shoot 4 low rounds than just 1.

re: breaking 100/90/80/etc.

websites like OOBgolf will let you calculate a handicap based on 9 holes at a time.  It isn't official, but for ranking yourself against other golfers and knowing where you stand, I think if the scores you say are legitimate than you will know where you stand.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • I know what u mean. I found Bridgestone e5 brand new for 14.98 a dozen which is a 50% savings!!!! I wanted to shout it from the roof tops!!!! Bought six dozen...then shouted it from the roof tops. From the response, it appears no one is listening to anything golf ball related being shouted from the mountain tops as my forum entry had 0 replies. But hey!!! GO US!!!! Everybody loves golf ball deals!! :)
    • I agree with the first reply. Take some time away and give yourself an opportunity to recharge. We all have our slumps - even the tour pros. Remember, it's just a way to get some fresh air and exercise!  
    • I had a stretch like that about a month ago. For a few solid weeks (playing nearly every day), I couldn't break 80 for the life of me. I kept shooting 83, 86, 84... that sort of thing. And I think I was just trying too hard to fix everything all at once.  I started to overthink about mechanics and my confidence was low and I was tense over every shot and every putt and it all just compounded into poor scores and frustration. But then I decided to take a few days off and then followed it up with a few good sessions on the driving range where I focused on swinging smoothly and swinging within myself.  The issues I was dealing with seemed to fix themselves.  I didn't change anything about my swing, I just focused on approaching the game with "ease".  And at the moment I am playing some of the best golf in my life! Everybody goes through their slumps. Maybe just take some time away and when you return remind yourself to slow down and play within yourself. I bet that will help a lot!
    • I disagree with this. Let's take Titleist and/or Mizuno for example, the manufacturing tolerances are the same, the heads are all coming from the same factories and they all get assembled in the same building. In terms of design they probably spend much less time on the muscle back irons because there is only so much you can do with a blade design. More time goes into the design, R&D of the AP irons than the blades.
    • I was in the same place as u about 9 months ago. My home course was a very tight challenging par 66 golf course. Between the terrible hooking and the complete inability to get the golf ball in the air and the losing of 14 golf balls during one round I absolutely hit rock bottom. I was terribly depressed, angry, and heart broken. Unlike most everyone I know, golf is the only interest I possess other than my family. I own firearms but I do not hunt. I enjoy shooting and bowling over work but Im not overly passionate about either. My round on that given day concluded with me on 18 25 yards before the green aimed away from it. I retrieved the last 9 balls from my bag and hit every single one as hard as I could into the lake!!! I yelled, I cussed, I screamed, I behaved like an absolute lunatic. Broken and ashamed, I returned to my car and swore that no matter what I was done for six weeks. I had lost control and track of my priorities. I was holding golf above all else including my beautiful wife and amazing young son. Im ashamed to admit that esp publicly, but golf had consumed me. It was hell, but for six weeks; no golf channel, no golf browsing, no sand trap visits, didnt touch a golf ball or golf club. After six weeks and re prioritizing my life (getting my shit together) I returned refreshed and re discovered my love for the game. And now Ive dropped 8 strokes from my handicap and have done so while playing much longer more difficult courses. And MOST importantly Ive learned to balance golf with life and things that actually matter. Like family!! If u have reached the point u are at now, u are in danger of becoming me. RUN!!! Dont walk...RUN away from golf before its too late. For six weeks ignore all things golf at any and all costs!! Then come back and see what happens. Hopefully u rekindle your passion, if not, theres no law that says u must play golf. There comes a point where giving it up is the right move. ;) But I bet it doesnt come to that. Best of luck!!!!  P.s. Golf takes a lot of time away from the ones we love. Spend that extra time with those u cherish most. 
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

• Blog Entries