Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YGSdaley

League Golf

6 posts in this topic

I am trying to start a golf league in my area and I was looking for some tips on where to start. Any other help would be much appreciated. Also, I am from the Philly area.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

9 hole league?  18 hole league?  Stroke play?  Match play?  Need a bit more info.  I'm not from Philly.

I personally like a mix of stroke and match, handicap adjusted

Basically a person gets a stroke on every hole for handicap difference. At the end of the round you tally up how many holes won (match play style), and net. If the player wins net he gets 2 points. So lets say Player A with a handicap of 0 versus Player B with a handicap of 4. If player A shoots a 37, his net is 37, if player B shoots a 40, his net is a 36. So player B would get 2 points + how many holes he won. This method balances out well, mixing both styles of play.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been in a number of different Thursday night leagues and, based on my experiences, HATE one particular format. That format is one where everyone's scores count. They decided to do that this year and 9 holes is taking between 2 hrs 10 min and 2.5 hrs. It drives me bananas. Previous formats had our rounds at 1 hr 50 minutes max... So, I would recommend something that involves teams and best balls (I.e. two man teams using 1 best net score per hole or 4 man teams utilizing 2 best ball). The other thing that I prefer is a league where you call to sign up to play every week. I've been in leagues where you committed to playing every week. For me, those can be a pain in the butt when a 4:00 client meeting runs long and you have to scramble to make the 5:30 tee time. Or when you are out of town and have to find a sub. Just a few things to think about...

I came across Tourgolfrevolution.com. Looks like a great format and I think I will start here. Thanks for the replies.

I came across Tourgolfrevolution.com. Looks like a great format and I think I will start here. Thanks for the replies.

The concept is interesting... A few things I thought about after reading about it: 1). I don't think this format will build much camaraderie. In a league where everyone plays on a certain night and groupings are assigned by the league, you end up golfing with a bunch of different members and gain new friendships because of it. Also, if it's on the same night, there's usually some good 19th hole activities going on afterwards (poker games, story telling, dinner specials, etc). 2). I personally am not a fan of letting the members play as often as they want and being able to post their lowest score. If a bunch of retired guys are playing five 18 hole rounds per week, they'll probably beat me every time. I can only play 2 full rounds per week... My two rounds may happen during high winds and tough pin placements. If I played 5 times per week, I'd be much more likely to play a few rounds in ideal scoring conditions and pin placements. I guess this could be minimized if you implemented a league handicap based on previous league scores. 3). The Major weeks seem like a great idea. If you go with this format, I would definitely have Majors once per month. Good luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • Putting practice is very different from one player (and especially skill level to the next).   here are my impressions.   it is true that 30-50% of all shots are from the green.  but, you can't really look at it that way, because even on a good putting day, half of those are inevitable.  If you two putt every single green in regulation, I doubt you're gonna be too down on yourself.  so really, the strokes you are adding or subtracting from your card are the number of 3-putts and 1-putts.   For your average golfer, there are really just two things you need to accomplish to putt well.   Making every putt under 6 feet.  and putting every putt outside that 6-foot circle to within the circle.   1) making every putt within 6 feet this is really just about repetition.  and it really doesn't matter where you are getting your reps.  I have an 8 ft putting mat in my living room.  If I spend an hour just hitting balls on this over, and over, and, over, I notice is great deal of improvement in making my 5 footers.  I know it sounds simple, but just learning how to repeatedly hit the ball straight and having the confidence standing over the ball to hit it straight makes a huge difference.   note: I assume as you get better and better at golf (and putting), this method of practice will have less and less of a positive impact.  This really only helps you become confident in your putting stroke, once you've got that down, you've got bigger fish to fry.   2) hitting everything outside that 6 foot circle to within 6 feet.   This one is a bit trickier.  I think the best practice for this one is to get to a practice green and putt from many different distances.  and changing it up very frequently (as opposed to putting many balls from one distance and then moving).  This one is all about feel.  and feel only comes with practice.     If you can get really good at these two simple skills, you can certainly become a passable putter.   Now the next step is raising your conversion rate on 10-15 foot putts.   I think this step takes a lot more work and a much better understanding of how to read a green as well as being a lot more precise with your pace.   If I ever figure this stuff out, I'll do my best to share.               
    • 8/31/16: Slower backswings with a slightly faster through swing. Swinging at perhaps 60-65% of my "normal speed" I honestly don't lose much distance with it. So I think I might use this for a while. "Ledge" gave me this tip on Sunday. (After my match). He told me, I would be more consistent with it, so I'm giving it a shot. As August has 31 days, I've completed the "5 Minutes Daily" challenge for August. @iacas, how do I make text red in mobile?
    • I have a Smart TV, only Smart appliance in the house.
    • I would average maybe one birdie a round at best these days since I am only playing weekends, and mostly not even every weekend.  When I was playing more regularly, between 1 and 3 birdies a round depending on the day.  Overall, I would say a low percentage but I rarely keep stats on GIR and birdies.  The maximum is in tournaments when I tend to keep score but having turned in the card I never keep the data.  Should start doing that.  Would assume GIR of maybe 50% at present and maybe 10% at best for GIR to birdie.  Handicap is low double digits though have not updated it in my home club since rarely play there these days
    • IMO, if you know someone is about to hit your ball, you should give them a heads up. This is a gentlemen's game. Ultimately it is the player hitting the shot responsibility to identify the ball and make sure. Its bad taste, but not a penalty if you let them hit your ball. In my club championship last week I found a ball in the rough that I thought was my competitors. I said "hey your'e hitting a black titleist, right?" He says yeah and plays the ball. We get to the green and its not his ball. I felt pretty bad for finding the ball (his original was like 3ft away from the wrong ball played). He reassured me it was his fault for not looking at it before hitting it. Both were black titleists but his had a logo on the side (I didnt see it or know about the logo).
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. OR Cat
      OR Cat
      (55 years old)
  • Blog Entries