IGNORED

OB-Provisional-Unplayable

SCfanatic35
Note: This thread is 3967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here is something that happened yesterday to my playing partner in our tournament.  I want to make sure that the ruling I gave him was correct.

Scenario: He was 240 out and was hitting his second shot to a par 5 green.  He hooked his 3 Wood near the boundary/OB chain link fence.  He declared he was playing a provisional because he could not tell if it was in or out.  He used a 4 Iron for his provisional and hit a great shot to just in front of the green.  When we got up to the green complex we found his ball just barely inside of the fence but almost impossible to get a club on it.  He decided to take an unplayable, and I informed him of his options and he decided to do 2 club lengths.  Before he messed with dropping his ball, he asked me since one of the options was to re-hit from as close to the original, if he could use his provisional as that option.  I told him "No" because the provisional was for the possible OB situation and not just laying around for other scenarios that could arise.  I assume that once his original was found that the provisional is no more and if he decided to use the re-hit option for the unplayable, that he would have to go back and hit again.

Is that correct what I told him?  I think I have explained it properly and put all of the pertinent info in the post.

Yes.  Once the original ball was found in bounds the provisional ball was abandoned.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rule 27-2c says, in part:

c . When Provisional Ball to be Abandoned

If the original ball is neither lost nor out of bounds , the player must abandon the provisional ball and continue playing the original ball ....

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

If something has been answered already correctly, then what is the reason to answer it again? Unless bringing some more information on subject.

Just an observation...

If something has been answered already correctly, then what is the reason to answer it again? Unless bringing some more information on subject. Just an observation...

Because some people's answers carry more weight than others. No offense whatsoever meant towards trackster, but I don't really know who he is, so as I'm reading the question and then the answers, it isn't necessarily 'answered' until somebody like fourputt or dormie, etc. weighs in. Same thing is true for swing related questions. Anybody can answer, and anybody could very well be right, but I'm not necessarily taking their word for it until I see iacas or mvmac (or one of a handful of others) has concurred.

Originally Posted by luu5

If something has been answered already correctly, then what is the reason to answer it again? Unless bringing some more information on subject.

Just an observation...

Don't worry this sight has a few "elite" posters.  Their opinions carry more weight than anyone else.

Originally Posted by trackster

Don't worry this sight has a few "elite" posters.  Their opinions carry more weight than anyone else.

Isn't this true in all aspects of life?  Wouldn't an expert at something be more trusted than a novice?

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Because some people's answers carry more weight than others. No offense whatsoever meant towards trackster, but I don't really know who he is, so as I'm reading the question and then the answers, it isn't necessarily 'answered' until somebody like fourputt or dormie, etc. weighs in.

Same thing is true for swing related questions. Anybody can answer, and anybody could very well be right, but I'm not necessarily taking their word for it until I see iacas or mvmac (or one of a handful of others) has concurred.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I usually try to check in once a day when I'm in town.  If someone I feel has answered incorrectly or if I think I can add something useful to the discussion I'll post.  Otherwise, I'll usually try to butt out.......most of the time.

Regards,

John

Not on a novel topic such as the rules of golf.  Anyone can do a google search and find the answer to this question.

Like I said, no offense meant. It's just that I know fourputt has considerable rules knowledge (more so than most others on this website) and since many of the rules questions on here are a lot more complicated than what can be answered on a google search, his opinion will carry more weight. It's only due to his history and resume with regards to the rules, not some "elite" status.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Because some people's answers carry more weight than others. No offense whatsoever meant towards trackster, but I don't really know who he is, so as I'm reading the question and then the answers, it isn't necessarily 'answered' until somebody like fourputt or dormie, etc. weighs in.

Same thing is true for swing related questions. Anybody can answer, and anybody could very well be right, but I'm not necessarily taking their word for it until I see iacas or mvmac (or one of a handful of others) has concurred.

You or OP have nothing to "defend". In the end you do not know who will answer and you do not get to choose the ones who will reply. You just present a question. I bet "trustful one's" will reply if there is a need, but I was just observing replying to OP like without reading the thread at all. Not a big deal, and my observation was done 1 am while watching US Open.

Note: This thread is 3967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!