IGNORED

"hahaha, for a minute there I thought you said pro v1s, haha"

nstphillips
Note: This thread is 6116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

"Pro V1's, you don't need Pro V1's" was the reply from the pro shop staff member named Dave upon my request to replace the American Lake Balls that line the lower pockets of my golf bag. He then went on to imply that I was not good enough to know or feel the difference between a £32 set of balls and a £12 pound set of balls.

So I left the pro shop with a 24 pack of Dunlop locos and every shot I hit seemed to clunk off the face of my irons and fly off in a rather ungraceful manner.

I got to the 2nd hole par 3, which is one of many water hazard holes and tee'd up the loco and let rip, needless to say my ball steered clear of the water, about 60yds right of it as a matter of fact and flew into the some bushes about 120 yds short of the hole. After 2-3 mins of searching I found a ball, low and behold a Pro V1 at that. I played that ball from a drop and landed it about 10 ft from the hole. I played the rest of the round with it and every shot seemed to fly gracefully from the club face. I couldn't hit a shot wrong, it was light and soft around the greens and flew off the tee like a rocket.

My question is " Was the pro shop worker right, or can even a 24 handicapper feel the difference with these balls?" I honestly believe I can, but have a horrible feeling that my mind wanted to prove the pro shop worker wrong. What d'ya reckon?

I'm pretty sure if your not someone that just goes out and plays, and you actually know a little about golf, you can probably tell the difference. Maybe not spin-wise, but definately how hard one ball is, and how soft the other is.

In My Taylormade Phatom St Bag Today:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5* Proforce v2 65 Stiff
Wood: Burner 15* Matrix Ozik X-con 5 X
Hybrid: CLK Fli Hi 20* Exsar StiffIrons: 755 4-pw Dynamic Gold s300Wedges: Mp-t 53* Solus 56* Black Finish rac tp satin 60*Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select...

The golf pro was being a bit harsh. You can hit whatever ball you want. and if you were playing good with that ball then it must have been something. definatly higher handicappers can feel the difference.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

The golf pro was being a bit harsh. You can hit whatever ball you want. and if you were playing good with that ball then it must have been something. definatly higher handicappers can feel the difference.

I agree. It's not really his job to tell you if you should buy a Prov1 or a cheap golf ball, UNLESS you ASK "am I good enough to feel the difference?"

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I would think that he is a terrible salesman. Who cares what kind of ball you buy? You should have just told him that you have enough dough that it doesn't really matter what kind of ball you buy. I know I would not buy stuff from them again if they were going to critique my purchases.

In my bag:

Driver: Cleveland Hibore XL 9.5*
Hybrids: Cleveland HiBore 19*
Nike Slingshot 23*Irons: Titleist 775 CBWedges: Titleist Vokey 54.10 Callaway X-Tour 58.12

I do respect that I think he was trying to help me out by coming to the conclusion that an expensive ball is the same as a cheap ball if it is at the bottom of a lake in my case. However I thought I would treat myself to some decent balls after finally getting my handicap certificate and regularly going around the course without losing a ball. I play regularly 4-5 times a week and practice loads because I am fully addicted to the game, so like to think even with my relatively short golf career, that I would benefit from the best equipment available.

I don't necessarily think the feel of a golf ball and handicap coincide. How observant you are when you hit the ball cleanly is a completely different story. I can certainly tell the difference.

More importantly though, next time tell him to get bent. Who cares what kind of ball you play but you? It is your money, if you feel better playing a Pro V1, play that ball.

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree , is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents"

-Nathaniel Bornenstein

despite your index, if you have a decent swing speed, smash factor, and launch index you will most likely feel the difference and see the difference as well.

In my Golf Bag:

Driver: W-506 10.5°, Mitsubishi Rayon 59g, Stiff, High Bp
3-Metal: Eye-O-Matic, Aldila NV-S, Stiff
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 3, 19°, StiffIrons: 3-PW CompEZ, TrueTemper Dynamic Gold, S300Wedges: CG-10 46°, Vokey 58°Putter: Zing2Ball: Pro V1x (only if they are...

Thanks for the reply guys, I won't feel like such an idiot when buying decent golf balls now. I know I should have just said " are you gonna sell me the balls I want, or shall I go else where" but the guy works at the club I belong to so almost felt obliged to take his advice. I will however, get down to Nevada Bobs and stock up on some Pro V's. Maybe I will lose them all in one round, at least it will be me that decides if I am worthy of them then.

• Administrator
I would think that he is a terrible salesman. Who cares what kind of ball you buy? You should have just told him that you have enough dough that it doesn't really matter what kind of ball you buy. I know I would not buy stuff from them again if they were going to critique my purchases.

I'll take the contrary point of view and suggest that he was being a good salesman by trying to help you save money. Though I've met a few high handicappers (anything > 18) who can

tell the difference between a Pro V1 and a Top-Flite or whatever, the point he was trying to make was that you probably don't get much more out of one than the other. Would you rather buy a Corolla or a Formula 1 car if all you're going to do is drive to work and back every day? Sure you can tell the difference, but why spend an extra $500k you don't need to spend (or whatever). C'mon, you're listed as a 24 handicap. The money you save on a few boxes of $20 balls instead of $45 balls could pay for a lesson.
despite your index, if you have a decent swing speed, smash factor, and launch index you will most likely feel the difference and see the difference as well.

Most 24s don't, but even if I concede the first, the odds that someone would see the difference in flight are minimal because contact isn't anywhere near as consistent as it would need to be.

I used to play DT Wound instead of the Tour Balata. Cheaper, felt different but otherwise "good enough," and didn't get smileys when I bladed them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ever think of factoring in the mental or "confidence" factor. If you stood over the pro v1 and thought "this is the best ball so my shot will be a good one", you're going to hit a much better shot then standing over the top flite and thinking, "I hope this POS ball doesnt break off into two pieces when I hit it". I hate to use a cliche, but golf is a 3 inch game.

If someone plays more than once a week they can usually tell the difference between golf balls. Maybe not to the extent that a golf nut would, but anyone can tell the difference between a Top Rock and a lady's ball. The guy was a jerk, and you should have called it on him. And then kindly mention you're taking your business elsewhere.

A ball at the bottom of the lake is a ball at the bottom of the lake, yes, but what golf game does a man have when he's automatically thinking 3 from the edge of the lake? It's just like when someone uses a crappy ball when they have a forced carry over a lake. Because it's a piece of junk, and it's probably cut up, it'll end up in the lake anyway.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

C'mon, you're listed as a 24 handicap. The money you save on a few boxes of $20 balls instead of $45 balls could pay for a lesson.

I do take your point, but I am having one lesson a week with the club pro and then practicing like mad all week. Maybe I don't need to buy the best balls, but I left with the cheapest balls in the shop and felt the lamest golfer in the world. There is a strong possibility that because of this I hit all the shots subconciously bad with the balls I bought and with the found prov1 I thought it was my duty to prove to myself that I can use the best balls out there.

I am however glad I'm having the lessons, have improved a great deal since taking them up. I was wandering if there is a ball that performs well but then again isn't gonna break the bank? Thanks again for all the replies

You say your getting lessons. Ask your teaching pro what balls he recommends, he should know your game fairly well. My teaching pro recommended NXT-Tours for me as he said I would not notice the benefit from a Pro-V1 but would over a cheaper ball. I was intent on buying Pro-V1's but my pro saved me £15 and he was right, I can't tell the difference.

--------------------------------------------
In the Bag ()

Driver: MX-560 9.5* S
Woods: SQ2 15*Irons: VR-Forged CB 4-PWWedges: Vokey SM 54.08 X-Forged PM 60*Putter: White Steel RossieBall: Z-URS

Dunlop Locos are probably my favorite "cheap" ball on the market. They do what they say.. they're crazy long and surprisingly soft.. you dont need to feel like a loser cuz you're playing a cheap ball. When i find a Loco on the course its like finding gold.. as is a pro v. But proV1's arent going to make a 24 play any better, im sorry. Maybe you can tell the difference because i think any half witt would probably notice how much softer and heavier the prov's feel.

I would always use the cheaper 2 piece balls, untill my 3rd year playing. I used to hate the heaviness of the softer 3 piece balls and wasnt able to use the spin those balls create.

But I understand you may have felt insulted by the ever so cocky.. "I know everything about golf" pro shopper.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

• Administrator
I do take your point, but I am having one lesson a week with the club pro and then practicing like mad all week. Maybe I don't need to buy the best balls, but I left with the cheapest balls in the shop and felt the lamest golfer in the world. There is a strong possibility that because of this I hit all the shots subconciously bad with the balls I bought and with the found prov1 I thought it was my duty to prove to myself that I can use the best balls out there.

If the kind of golf ball you're hitting affects your swing, you've got mental issues you need to solve.

Put it this way: early in the year (when the ground is wet and it's chillier than normal), I play a bunch of Precept MC Lady balls (they have a "Laddie" version too for guys who feel emasculated playing a ball that says "Lady" on it). Aside from the early-season rust, I hit those just as well. Because they're a little lower compression, they feel just fine in the colder weather. Again, perhaps the guy was just trying to save you some money. I don't think he was being a jerk. If he was a jerk, he'd push the most expensive stuff on you he could. You could have explained to him why _you_ feel you need the Pro V1. I've never played golf with you or anything, but just from the handicap i doubt you "need" them. If you feel you need them "psychologically" then how do you ever hit balls on the range? Or do you duff all of them because they're not Pro V1s too?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He probably is right about it a little. However, if it affects your confidence, then it's worth it. I've played a ton of rounds with some goofy Noodle, Top Flight, you name it and have shot decent rounds. It almost becomes a contest to break 70 with a Top Flight. However, I probably see a difference in the ProV1x vs. even the ProV1. However, I am a 4 handicap that used to be a +2.7 and have played almost my whole life.

If you have the money to spend on it, then get what gives you the best confidence. If you don't, then buy some NXT's. They are much cheaper and a solid ball.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

I'll take the contrary point of view and suggest that he was being a good salesman by trying to help you save money.

Imagine that.

The worker forgot the most important thing in sales: "the customer is always right". It does not sound like the OP asked if it was worth getting better balls or even asked for purchasing advice. He asked for a box of balls and the guy scoffed at him and acted like a jerk. Perhaps that is lost on some people.

In my bag:

Driver: Cleveland Hibore XL 9.5*
Hybrids: Cleveland HiBore 19*
Nike Slingshot 23*Irons: Titleist 775 CBWedges: Titleist Vokey 54.10 Callaway X-Tour 58.12

Note: This thread is 6116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!