IGNORED

My Swing (Jeremie Boop)

Jeremie Boop
Note: This thread is 756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I need to get some more consistency to my drives. Looking at the distances I hit it last night I ranged from 260s which were high on the face hits and/or heeled shots to a 310 drive that flew the green which was a straight draw that was slightly above center on the club face. I'm really thinking I need to get that 4w because it would give me something I can comfortably hit on holes that are just under 300 yards and not worry about going passed the green. I know it seems stupid for me to worry about that considering I could just hit my 2h and get down there 30-40 yards from the green pretty reliably. However, I'd like to maximize the scoring potential by attacking the green if I can reach it. Maybe this is a bad strategy? @iacas e me on this, should I even worry about the gap between my driver and 2h? Is going for the green on those shorter par 4s even a good strategy for me?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I need to get some more consistency to my drives. Looking at the distances I hit it last night I ranged from 260s which were high on the face hits and/or heeled shots to a 310 drive that flew the green which was a straight draw that was slightly above center on the club face. I'm really thinking I need to get that 4w because it would give me something I can comfortably hit on holes that are just under 300 yards and not worry about going passed the green. I know it seems stupid for me to worry about that considering I could just hit my 2h and get down there 30-40 yards from the green pretty reliably. However, I'd like to maximize the scoring potential by attacking the green if I can reach it. Maybe this is a bad strategy? @iacas could you advise me on this, should I even worry about the gap between my driver and 2h? Is going for the green on those shorter par 4s even a good strategy for me?

Why a 4 wood instead of a 3?

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I need to get some more consistency to my drives. Looking at the distances I hit it last night I ranged from 260s which were high on the face hits and/or heeled shots to a 310 drive that flew the green which was a straight draw that was slightly above center on the club face. I'm really thinking I need to get that 4w because it would give me something I can comfortably hit on holes that are just under 300 yards and not worry about going passed the green. I know it seems stupid for me to worry about that considering I could just hit my 2h and get down there 30-40 yards from the green pretty reliably. However, I'd like to maximize the scoring potential by attacking the green if I can reach it. Maybe this is a bad strategy? @iacas could you advise me on this, should I even worry about the gap between my driver and 2h? Is going for the green on those shorter par 4s even a good strategy for me?

Obviously I am not the expert on this, but here is my opinion anyway.

Depends on the hole and your shot zone for that club.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

It depends where trouble is. If your "miss" would still be a safe play, then sure. If your miss is OB or in a hazard, probably not.

Ryan M

Why a 4 wood instead of a 3?

4 wood seems easier to hit, at least from what I've heard.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Obviously I am not the expert on this, but here is my opinion anyway.

Depends on the hole and your shot zone for that club.

It depends where trouble is. If your "miss" would still be a safe play, then sure. If your miss is OB or in a hazard, probably not.

Well, at my course most of the short holes don't have trouble around the green, but long is bad always. I lucked out because the ball ended up left of the green so I wasn't in the trees behind it. Most of the short holes around here are pretty safe anywhere left/right but long is almost universally bad.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

4 wood seems easier to hit, at least from what I've heard.

Get a 3 wood. On a good day, I can carry my 3 wood 265...but it lands softer. Couple weeks ago I nailed the green on a 270 yard par 4 on the fly and it actually held.

I don't think 3 woods are hard to hit. However, If you don't hit them right...distance suffers. My 3 wood ranges from 200-280 yards lol.

Ryan M

Get a 3 wood. On a good day, I can carry my 3 wood 265...but it lands softer. Couple weeks ago I nailed the green on a 270 yard par 4 on the fly and it actually held.

I don't think 3 woods are hard to hit. However, If you don't hit them right...distance suffers. My 3 wood ranges from 200-280 yards lol.

Sounds like my 2h distances haha *edit Sorry that wasn't meant as a rip on your distances, just that my 2h varies between those distances as well*

I'm open to trying a 3 wood, I've just heard a lot of good things about the 4 wood being comparable on distance to 3 wood but with a bit more forgiveness.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Sounds like my 2h distances haha *edit Sorry that wasn't meant as a rip on your distances, just that my 2h varies between those distances as well*

I'm open to trying a 3 wood, I've just heard a lot of good things about the 4 wood being comparable on distance to 3 wood but with a bit more forgiveness.

I think that is pretty much because golfers with slower swing speeds NEED more loft to get good gaps in the longer clubs. A lot of golfers would hit a 5 iron and then they would have minimal gap to their 4 iron. Then the introduction of hybrids allowed golfers to get more air time and get a proper gap.

For you, you will probably see a difference in distance between the two. The 4 wood is probably more accurate, but they should not be similar in distance (more loft and shorter golf club). Another aspect could be, it is easier to hit because it is shorter. So are the clubs actually the same distance or is it user error on the golfer miss hitting a longer 3 wood.

Just some things to consider.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think that is pretty much because golfers with slower swing speeds NEED more loft to get good gaps in the longer clubs. A lot of golfers would hit a 5 iron and then they would have minimal gap to their 4 iron. Then the introduction of hybrids allowed golfers to get more air time and get a proper gap.

For you, you will probably see a difference in distance between the two. The 4 wood is probably more accurate, but they should not be similar in distance (more loft and shorter golf club). Another aspect could be, it is easier to hit because it is shorter. So are the clubs actually the same distance or is it user error on the golfer miss hitting a longer 3 wood.

In your opinion, knowing my good drives are 270-300 typically *possibly increasing with my improved swing*, would the extra distance on the 3 wood be necessary over the increased accuracy of a 4 wood?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

In your opinion, knowing my good drives are 270-300 typically *possibly increasing with my improved swing*, would the extra distance on the 3 wood be necessary over the increased accuracy of a 4 wood?

Maybe try an adjustable 3-4 wood?  Then you could find the loft that works best.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Maybe try an adjustable 3-4 wood?  Then you could find the loft that works best.

I actually was going to purchase one of the cobra adjustable ones before. It's just at this point in the season I've used basically all my "extra" money for clubs already and another 150ish on a fw may not be a viable option.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

The accuracy isn't probably as big as you think. Your are taking half an inch to 3/4 inch length and 2-3 degrees of loft. You might see 5-10 yards less left or right. Though I've missed my 3 wood just as far as my driver before. The issue is the 4 wood has less MOi as a 3 wood because of the smaller head size.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

The accuracy isn't probably as big as you think. Your are taking half an inch to 3/4 inch length and 2-3 degrees of loft. You might see 5-10 yards less left or right. Though I've missed my 3 wood just as far as my driver before. The issue is the 4 wood has less MOi as a 3 wood because of the smaller head size.

I guess the better consideration is less the number on the club *3 or 4 wood* and more the loft. With my 2h being 18* going with a 16* fw is probably what I should look at. With the extra loft and longer club length that should give me the yardage I'm looking for without the confusion of whether I need a 3 or 4 wood.... Then we come back to the initial point of whether it's even really something I should worry about or should I just deal with the 50 ish yard gap between my hybrid and driver.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

FWIW I would say to wait until the right one finds you. Putting a bad club in your bag just because you can afford it doesn't make much sense. JMHO.

I know what you mean, and I am leaning that way. It's just very frustrating to have that gap there. If I didn't run into holes that are in that range every week in league I probably wouldn't even have thought about it, but both the front and back 9 on the league course have holes that are right in that range.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I know what you mean, and I am leaning that way. It's just very frustrating to have that gap there. If I didn't run into holes that are in that range every week in league I probably wouldn't even have thought about it, but both the front and back 9 on the league course have holes that are right in that range.

Get rid of that flip to gain yards with your driver. Then you won't have a gap. :-P

- Shane

Get rid of that flip to gain yards with your driver. Then you won't have a gap.

That makes no sense Shane, if I gain yards with my driver the gap gets bigger.... The driver goes too far as it is, unless you are saying just hit the 2h further rofl.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!