IGNORED

Drive hits fairway, rolls out of bounds, ball not found

TJBam
Note: This thread is 3972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the correct procedure?  I have a friend who seems to think that you just drop a ball and take a stroke near the point where the ball went OB.

I searched the forum already and couldn't seem to find the right keywords.

This applies to a drive that hits INBOUNDS and then rolls out or bounces out and is clearly lost in the woods.

Originally Posted by TJBam

What is the correct procedure?  I have a friend who seems to think that you just drop a ball and take a stroke near the point where the ball went OB.

This applies to a drive that hits INBOUNDS and then rolls out or bounces out and is clearly lost in the woods.

27-1 . Stroke And Distance; Ball Out Of Bounds; Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes

a . Proceeding Under Stroke and Distance

At any time, a player may, under penalty of one stroke , play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5 ), i.e., proceed under penalty of stroke and distance.

Except as otherwise provided in the Rules , if a player makes a stroke at a ball from the spot at which the original ball was last played, he is deemed to have proceeded under penalty of stroke and distance .

b . Ball Out of Bounds

If a ball is out of bounds , the player must play a ball, under penalty of one stroke , as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5 ).

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Originally Posted by Asheville

27-1. Stroke And Distance; Ball Out Of Bounds; Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes

a. Proceeding Under Stroke and Distance

At any time, a player may, under penalty of one stroke, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5), i.e., proceed under penalty of stroke and distance.

Except as otherwise provided in the Rules, if a player makes a stroke at a ball from the spot at which the original ball was last played, he is deemed to have proceeded under penalty of stroke and distance.

b. Ball Out of Bounds

If a ball is out of bounds, the player must play a ball, under penalty of one stroke, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5).

So when it says "ball was last played" that means the tee box, correct?  I am having problems interpreting the rules.

Please help by applying the rules to the scenarios I outlined above.

It's fine that the Rule has been quoted, however, what we care about is not that the ball bounced from in bounds to out of bounds. That's not relevant. What matters is where the ball comes to rest.

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

I am basically trying to confirm that he cannot go to where his drive went out of bounds, drop, and hit his third stroke.

So when it says "ball was last played" that means the tee box, correct?  I am having problems interpreting the rules.

Please help by applying the rules to the scenarios I outlined above.

If the ball which ended up OB was played from the teeing ground, the only remedy is to play another from anywhere on that teeing ground. The ball may be teed up for the player's third stroke.

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

If the ball which ended up OB was played from the teeing ground, the only remedy is to play another from anywhere on that teeing ground. The ball may be teed up for the player's third stroke.

Ok.  Thanks for your time and for quoting the rule, I appreciate your help!  Best regards

I am basically trying to confirm that he cannot go to where his drive went out of bounds, drop, and hit his third stroke.

Ha, we're typing over each other here.

You are correct, there are no provisions in the Rules to pick some nice point and drop for a lost ball or a ball OB.

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Ha, we're typing over each other here.

You are correct, there are no provisions in the Rules to pick some nice point and drop for a lost ball or a ball OB.

Not only are no provisions in the Rules there are two relevant Rules prohibiting it.

The result of such action could be traumatic.

2 stroke penalty for playing from the wrong place with a probable disqualification for serious breach of the rule if it is not corrected.

Note: This thread is 3972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!