IGNORED

TaylorMade SLDR Prototype

Note: This thread is 3923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree as long as a tool is required, it's not any different that than the hosel adjustment.  I'd think at some point someone will come up with a method to eliminate the need of a special tool to make the adjustment.

They can't eliminate the tool and stay within the rules. Of course TM did say they were preparing to make non-conforming clubs........ This just looks like a more adjustable version of the weight system used on the Cally Razr Fit and Razr Fit Extreme.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Typical TM Marketing Bulls**** again. Sorry, but that is exactly why I stopped buying their clubs. They get uglier by the minute and the so called innovations are just hideous. Also I agree with GaijinGolfer: copying old technology of other brands and selling them as the newest and best thing on the market is just rediculous.

Typical TM Marketing Bulls**** again. Sorry, but that is exactly why I stopped buying their clubs. They get uglier by the minute and the so called innovations are just hideous. Also I agree with GaijinGolfer: copying old technology of other brands and selling them as the newest and best thing on the market is just rediculous.

What are you even talking about? TaylorMade has not marketed this club one iota. It's not even listed on their website yet. Any speculation about the angle that TM might take in marketing this club is just that - speculation. [quote name="GaijinGolfer" url="/t/68300/taylormade-sldr-prototype#post_865455"]Looks like TM is back to their old tricks: recycling old technology and calling it, "new".  Much like the slot in the Rocketblazes that Wilson used in the '80s. [/quote] Same for this post. TaylorMade hasn't called a single thing "new" about this club. For all we know they'll be packaging it with a pamphlet saying, "Did you love Mizuno Fast Track drivers? Well have we got the club for you!" Knock TaylorMade all you want, but it's needlessly presumptuous to mock the marketing of a club before the club has even been marketed .

• Upvote 3

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Any speculation about the angle that TM might take in marketing this club is just that - speculation.

Same for this post. TaylorMade hasn't called a single thing "new" about this club. For all we know they'll be packaging it with a pamphlet saying, "Did you love Mizuno Fast Track drivers? Well have we got the club for you!"

Knock TaylorMade all you want, but it's needlessly presumptuous to mock the marketing of a club before the club has even been marketed.

But we all know TM has in the past gone a little overboard with the marketing........I mean it wouldnt surprise me if they say something promising "slide your way into 32 more yards off the tee"

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by jamo

What are you even talking about? TaylorMade has not marketed this club one iota. It's not even listed on their website yet.

Any speculation about the angle that TM might take in marketing this club is just that - speculation.

Same for this post. TaylorMade hasn't called a single thing "new" about this club. For all we know they'll be packaging it with a pamphlet saying, "Did you love Mizuno Fast Track drivers? Well have we got the club for you!"

Knock TaylorMade all you want, but it's needlessly presumptuous to mock the marketing of a club before the club has even been marketed.

it's not speculation, it's an educated guess. We all know they are gonna tell us something like "eliminate your slice forever...and be 50 yards longer".

Also if you would know a little something about Marketing, you would know, that marketing is not only the promotion and communication part, but product design , price, distribution,..... as well.

Taylormade may be a lot of things, but you cannot take away the fact that they are one of the leading manufactures of consistently evolving and improving products.  They may not "improve" to everyone's liking, but they do make subtle innovations/modifications/improvements as they go.

Without companies like this, we would see much less movement from the entire golf industry to advance technology and continually improve. Love em or hate them, every sport needs companies like this to keep their sports relevant and exciting.

I am starting to lean towards Ping because they will not make a new feature or change for change sake.  An adjustable hosel is an example. They introduced their first adjustable hosel with the G25.  They would not do it if it changed the weighting of the club.  That says something about how they think.

The Ping Train of thought I interpret as, we make clubs that our customers will have success with.

The Taylormade train of thought I interpret as, we need to come up with a new gimmick to help sell clubs this year (every year).

I use to game a Mizuno driver with that option.  The effect was subtle at best.

it's not speculation, it's an educated guess. We all know they are gonna tell us something like "eliminate your slice forever...and be 50 yards longer". Also if you would know a little something about Marketing, you would know, that marketing is not only the promotion and communication part, but [U]product design[/U], price, distribution,..... as well.

We don't know the price, or the distribution model. In the past, TaylorMade has sold certain drivers only at Sports Authority, or Dicks Sporting Goods. The fact that this showed up on their Facebook page would seem to indicate that that is unlikely, but mid-season releases generally aren't as heavily marketed. As for product design, all we know is that the thing is silver and blue and has a little sliding thing. [quote name="RonTheSavage" url="/t/68300/taylormade-sldr-prototype/18#post_866432"] But we all know TM has in the past gone a little overboard with the marketing........I mean it wouldnt surprise me if they say something promising "slide your way into 32 more yards off the tee"[/quote] Sure. It wouldn't surprise me either. But wait until they actually do that. Criticize their Rocketballz marketing if you want.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

As for product design, all we know is that the thing is silver and blue and has a little sliding thing.

Sure. It wouldn't surprise me either. But wait until they actually do that. Criticize their Rocketballz marketing if you want.

Nah I criticize when I like and what I like.................Rocketballz, Burner 1.0, 2.0, RBZ, R75 or whatever, now this gimmicky slider business. I agree with a poster above about PING, all they do is make clubs that work. I like that.

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Nah I criticize when I like and what I like.................Rocketballz, Burner 1.0, 2.0, RBZ, R75 or whatever, now this gimmicky slider business. I agree with a poster above about PING, all they do is make clubs that work. I like that.

A good chunk of golf club design is "gimmicky". That's because there's a huge market of guys out there that will always buy the newest offering from (insert club manufacturer of choice) because it's going to make them a ton better.

Ping cashes in on gimmicky marketing just as much as the next company. That's what keeps a club manufacturer in business.

Tyler Martin

I couldnt disagree more when you say Ping cashes in on gimmicky marketing just as much as the next company. So you're saying they cash in like TM when it comes to gimmicky marketing? Ping has a couple funny commercials, but I dont recall them promising more yards with each release every 90 days.

• Administrator

Probably not going to be a Dick's-only brand:

https://twitter.com/PaulMac69/status/355399131264581632/photo/1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Quote:

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

A good chunk of golf club design is "gimmicky". That's because there's a huge market of guys out there that will always buy the newest offering from (insert club manufacturer of choice) because it's going to make them a ton better.

Ping cashes in on gimmicky marketing just as much as the next company. That's what keeps a club manufacturer in business.

I couldnt disagree more when you say Ping cashes in on gimmicky marketing just as much as the next company. So you're saying they cash in like TM when it comes to gimmicky marketing? Ping has a couple funny commercials, but I dont recall them promising more yards with each release every 90 days.

Oh come on. They may not be as obvious in their marketing as TM is. But every new driver, iron and putter they come out with will help you hit it further, closer to the hole, and sink more putts, just like TM, Titleist, Nike, etc.

My point was that golf marketing, from practically every manufacturer (including Ping), is about like listening to a political debate.

And for the record, the two drivers I have now are TM and Ping

Tyler Martin

LOL my back up driver is my old Trusty G15. But ok we can agree that PING is not as "out there" with their claims as other brands....Im with you on that.

Originally Posted by Jakester23

Which ping and taylormade? And which one do u like better.

A G2 that I got the year after it came out, and an RBZ that I got about a month ago.

I don't get caught up in the craze to buy the newest and best. Nearly everything in my bag was either bought used, or after it was no longer the most current model.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Oh come on. They may not be as obvious in their marketing as TM is. But every new driver, iron and putter they come out with will help you hit it further, closer to the hole, and sink more putts, just like TM, Titleist, Nike, etc.

I don't think I've seen a commercial for Titleist clubs. Only their balls. I've seen some magazine advertisements I think.

But this is common sense really. I mean, could you imagine a marketing strategy that claims "Our new models won't help you hit it any better, but they sure look good."

Note: This thread is 3923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!