IGNORED

Wedges To Go With X Hot Irons

Note: This thread is 3933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking for some advice on which wedges to go with my new set of x hot irons.

I currently have a pw (44*) and an aw (49*) that came with the set. I hit the pw around 110-115 and aw around 90-100.

I'm considering the following 2 options

1. 54* and 58*

2. 56* only

I'd like to hear some of your opinions on which wedges you would select and if you think that buying only 1 more wedge (not matching my iron set) would be too few choices.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by cars7

I'm looking for some advice on which wedges to go with my new set of x hot irons.

I currently have a pw (44*) and an aw (49*) that came with the set. I hit the pw around 110-115 and aw around 90-100.

I'm considering the following 2 options

1. 54* and 58*

2. 56* only

I'd like to hear some of your opinions on which wedges you would select and if you think that buying only 1 more wedge (not matching my iron set) would be too few choices.

Thanks.

First impression is that you need two additional wedges. 7 degrees is a large gap between wedges. Assuming you have room for two additional wedges, I would go with something like 54* and 58*. That way your degree spacing is fairly consistent. You can then have them bent to fine tune the yardages - consistent degree spacing does not equal consistent yardage gaps.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've never gotten along with the 54°, so I would go 55, 60. I don't mind bending 56 to 55 as long as the 56 has sufficient bounce

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I've never gotten along with the 54°, so I would go 55, 60.

I don't mind bending 56 to 55 as long as the 56 has sufficient bounce

Either would work. Just get in the right ballpark, then bend as necessary. However, I would argue that a 20ish handicapper (like the OP) wouldn't be able to tell a difference in yardage between a 54 and 55.

Tyler Martin

Either would work. Just get in the right ballpark, then bend as necessary. However, I would argue that a 20ish handicapper (like the OP) wouldn't be able to tell a difference in yardage between a 54 and 55.

You don't have to argue. I agree.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Sorry, just a figure of speech.

I was trying to be funny ... it didn't work.

The curse of the internet.

Back on topic ... I would advise the OP to go for 12-14 bounce in his 54-56 and 58-60 (the max that most OEMs have - try the new MacDaddy II, at least look at the specs - a C grind is one to look at). I would also look at relief (grinding) on the heel, toe, and back edge (i.e., the C Grind), and go for a thin-medium to medium sole instead of a wide sole. I have also evolved to a 60 because of the new groove rules. The more dynamic loft, the more spin.

Geaux and Mr. D brought up basic issues to consider.

I have an additional one: Four wedges is more hassle to "manage" than just three wedges. If you kept the XHot 49* AW and added a 56* SW, you might get by with three wedges.

And as Geaux said, you could bend the 49* if you ended up with an unusual yardage gap. And, he's right, degree differences don't always shake out in even yardage differences. I have X20 Tour irons and use the 46* PW. It has the same shaft length as my CG14 50* wedge, but the X20T is hotter, so there's about a 12 yard distance gap.

On the yardages, be aware that most wedges these days have 1/4" difference in shaft length, not 1/2" as between most numbered irons. So, wedge yardage gaps may be a bit smaller than for irons - that's why some golfers use 6* gaps between wedge lofts. Just something to think about, you'll learn the answer from test hits.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

On the yardages, be aware that most wedges these days have 1/4" difference in shaft length, not 1/2" as between most numbered irons. So, wedge yardage gaps may be a bit smaller than for irons - that's why some golfers use 6* gaps between wedge lofts. Just something to think about, you'll learn the answer from test hits.

Good point. And that extra shaft is going to make more difference in yardage than the 1* of loft.

Tyler Martin

I like what WU and the Tiger have added -- I'll also add that as wedges have gotten stronger in loft, they've lost all meaning ... ... at least in the lower lofts.

Today's strong lofted PW (44-46) is not a PW - it only has the label - it's an iron that one uses for full shots. The 49-51 is a PW - it's job is to go high, drop, stop. I don't use it around the greens.

My specialty wedges are the 55 and 60 - they do all my work around the greens. It's not much of a decision for me. If the 60 is going to make me work too hard to keep it low or get it there, I'm going to pull out the 55. If I'm greenside, 8/10 times, I will pull out the 60.

It's not a big deal ... but I also recognize that all of us choose our own road to comfort on a golf course ... so your choices may vary. I try to make simple choices, and this is my road.

Today's strong lofted PW (44-46) is not a PW - it only has the label - it's an iron that one uses for full shots.

LOL.  I can say with all honesty here that I had never thought of that.

But it's totally true.  By and large, people do not use a PW for pitching.

Honestly, they should probably just start referring to it as a 10 iron.

For the record, my PW (45.5) is NEVER** used for anything but regular full swing shots, and for that matter, neither is my UW (50).  Certainly as I fine tune my game I might be able to find uses for those clubs outside of full swings, but for now they really only have the one purpose.

**I will, on rare occasions, break out the PW or UW for that awkwardly long (30-50 yard) greenside bunker shot.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

LOL.  I can say with all honesty here that I had never thought of that.

But it's totally true.  By and large, people do not use a PW for pitching.

Honestly, they should probably just start referring to it as a 10 iron.

For the record, my PW (45.5) is NEVER** used for anything but regular full swing shots, and for that matter, neither is my UW (50).  Certainly as I fine tune my game I might be able to find uses for those clubs outside of full swings, but for now they really only have the one purpose.

**I will, on rare occasions, break out the PW or UW for that awkwardly long (30-50 yard) greenside bunker shot.

Yeah I'll use my 50* for a 30+ bunker shot if I don't have a clean lie. Other than that, the 60* is the only wedge I hit less than full with any regularity.

Tyler Martin

... My specialty wedges are the 55 and 60 - they do all my work around the greens. It's not much of a decision for me. If the 60 is going to make me work too hard to keep it low or get it there, I'm going to pull out the 55. If I'm greenside, 8/10 times, I will pull out the 60. ...

Played golf Friday with a visiting threesome of a young club pro, and a couple of his co-workers. All were in their mid-20s.

We started talking about wedges, and all three mostly use the SW or LW around the green. One guy said it depended on how much green he had to work with, a second said it was distance to pin, and the pro said it depended a lot on grass texture.

But all three said it was usually SW or LW around the green.

As for the meaning of wedges , I played with Ping Eye2 clones until 2008. The lofts were:

• 9i = 44*
  • PW = 50*
  • SW = 56*
  • LW = 60*
  • Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• Administrator

Today's strong lofted PW (44-46) is not a PW - it only has the label - it's an iron that one uses for full shots.

Again, just because the loft is stronger does not mean that the ball launches lower, etc.

Two things primarily produce higher launch angles with the same "loft":

1) Firmer golf balls (balata versus a modern golf ball?)

2) Lower CG in the clubhead

I guarantee you that I could build a 44° club that launched the ball higher than a 49° club of old with a matching golf ball. Especially when you build it with squarer grooves and sharper corners.

Loft is but one piece (an important one, but nowhere near even, say, 3/4 of the whole) when determining launch angles of the golf ball.

TL;DR: the modern pitching wedge is more like a pitching wedge than a 9-iron because you need to consider far more than a static loft measurement.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for all of the replies. That was a lot of good info. I think I'm going to try a 54 and 58 wedge. I'm leaning towards the Cleveland 588 rtx cb because I like the idea of a little more forgiveness from the cavity back.

Thanks for all of the replies. That was a lot of good info. I think I'm going to try a 54 and 58 wedge. I'm leaning towards the Cleveland 588 rtx cb because I like the idea of a little more forgiveness from the cavity back.

Forgiveness in a 54 and 58? Those clubs are more about precision than big, full swings. I'd say you're okay with the blade.

Cleveland CG16. Just got mine a few days ago, and i love it. Although I never had a sand wedge before but this thing is awesome. Sets the ball up great and can land it soft.

Note: This thread is 3933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!