IGNORED

How much range time?

GatorGolf
Note: This thread is 3933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by TJBam

you couldn't lure me back to the putting green with a full rack of ribs and a keg.

But is it just too much to ask for someone to at least TRY to?

I like to hit during lunch 2 or 3 times a week.

Sometimes I try to work on things.  THough usually just a small bucket.

• Mostly just getting the repeatable swing.  (the turf at the local range is crappy, so it's a crap shoot)
  • Sometimes shaping
  • Sometimes just hitting targets I pick in the range
  • Other times problem clubs from previously
  • Just getting reps on the groove is nice
  • Every time I work on expanding my flexibility and increasing my total rotation - it's paying off

Other - Sometimes it's just about getting out of the office and whacking a small bucket

In the winter at the indoor facility, it's a LOT easier to mix it up between hitting, short game and putting.  Much more productive.  Especially when I get some Trackman time.

I'd prefer to work on putting, chipping, and pitching, but it's a bit crowded.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think one thing that really improves my swing is to pick a short iron that reaches one of the target greens at the range.  I hit an entoire bucket with that one club at that one target.  Anywhere between a 7 iron and wedge.  Builds a lot of confidence to hit your target over and over and over and over.

In My Bag:

Irons: 2-SW Golfsmith MB Forged S300's & 60 degree Callaway

Putter: 20 year old rusty Cameron no clue what model

Woods: 1 & 3 Cheap Ass Walter Hagen Stiff Grafalloy $30 per club lol

I feel like I would benefit from hitting the course for a while with minimal range time. This is because I have no idea how far I hit anymore. I am starting to improve my swing mechanics, but the consequence is higher scores. What I used to depend upon instinctive distance to club selection is all out the door now.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I do most of the worthwhile practice at home. I get more out of slow-mo swings in front of a mirror and doing drills than I do whacking balls. The range is where I go to see if the drills are working and even then I rarely make it through a small bucket. It's amazing what a few minutes of wall drills will do for a swing.

+1

I definitely see the most improvement through slow-motion swings and "mapping" at home than I get from the range. I look at as basement work with slow-mos and position work is ALL about working on mechanics, Range Time is a little less about mechanics but still with an awareness of them but more focus on target and what the resultant ball flight was and then GOLF is zero thought of mechanics and 100% focus on TARGET TARGET TARGET.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I am excited about getting to practice at home now as well.  I finally got time to clean out my garage so I've set up a nice area where I can hit balls into an old bed spread.  So I will be sitting up my camera and taking some close looks at my swing and hopefully improving even more.  If I can find a cheap full length mirror I'd be even more set.

Jeff

I can be a bit of a range rat at times. I have a hard time saying, "OK, that was enough practice." Usually it's some kind of responsibility or lack of daylight that forces me to leave. And even then, I usually do a good amount of mirror work at home.

We're very similar. I have practiced at my local course for almost 7 hours before, leaving after midnight. There is a little light on the putting green from street/parking lot lights where I can see to practice putting and chipping. As for the range, if I still want to hit balls after the lights go out at 9:30, I swing away and listen for where the ball lands. I can tell what I did by my swing and from where I hear the ball land.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

+1

I definitely see the most improvement through slow-motion swings and "mapping" at home than I get from the range. I look at as basement work with slow-mos and position work is ALL about working on mechanics, Range Time is a little less about mechanics but still with an awareness of them but more focus on target and what the resultant ball flight was and then GOLF is zero thought of mechanics and 100% focus on TARGET TARGET TARGET.

Yeah, you can accomplish lots by doing a practice session postmortem at home, figure things out away from the "distractions" of the range and lettiing some time pass so your body and mind can consolidate what you did at the range.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I don't like going to the range honestly.  I find it tough to focus.  The only time I'm on the range is with my swing instructor.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

Every shot results in a promotion or a demotion - hence you never hit the same club twice (except at the top and bottom of course).  I use this theory to try to climb my way up the bag, 9 / 8 / 7 /6 / 5 / 4 / 4 off a tee / hybrid / hybrid off a tee / 3-wood off a tee.  The goal being to get all the way to 3-wood (I don't carry a driver - would prob be driver for everyone else).  If I can hit 5 good 3-woods in a row - I have 'won' the game and I start back at 9-iron.

This makes sense to me, because you will spend time where you need it most before progressing to more difficult clubs.

I like that.  I think I'll start doing that for my full swing practice!

I typically do a game at the chipping/putting area where up and down is par and I play 18 holes like that.

It depends on how fast you want to improve.

If you want to improve your score quicker, you should focus practicing your putting/chipping more than (or at least as much) ball striking.  Try to develop a habit of going to putting/chipping green before you go to stalls.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!