IGNORED

Official 2013 British Open at Muirfield Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

He's spent several weeks (several year's worth, I believe) at #2 over several periods. But he's never been #1.

He's been #2 a lot, going back to 2001.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by phan52

I think it'd be really neat if the Tiger vs. Phil hype we were trying to be sold back in like 2006 that never amounted to much because Tiger was far better than Phil now comes true 7 or 8 years later when Phil's, what, 42? If Lefty does take over #1 (which will take some serious game, let's face it. He's like 3 or 4 points behind Tiger right now), that to me would be remarkable. Good times for golf right now, in my opinion, with the current cast of characters near the top.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

He's spent several weeks (several year's worth, I believe) at #2 over several periods. But he's never been #1.

The trouble is that Phil has never had that hot streak that would have been needed to make that last jump to #1.  He has mostly played steadily, with his wins spaced out with a few missed cuts along the way, so he has never been good at gathering the points needed.  For so long he was #2 to Tiger when Woods had such a huge lead that it took nearly a 2 year layoff to knock him off the top.  Phil also took his time about getting that first major.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by kw purp

Just so over the pathetic amount of hype and praise that he gets for accomplishing nothing. By the way they talk about him you would think he would have like 20 non major pga tour victories. He has not won anything of relevance and he is 40. Sunday morning I would have bet my life on him and Hunter Mahan both having absolutely zero impact on the outcome of the tournament.

rant over.

I've seen a lot of your posts and I am really not sure if you are being sarcastic and trolling us still, or if you are really just that dense.

You're saying that any professional without what you consider to be "relevant" victories under his or her belt has accomplished nothing? To say that Lee Westwood is not a good golfer is just plain stupid, period. He's living quite well off of golf and has a fairly good world ranking.

You're another one of those people who think if you're not top 20, you're nobody. Tell me when you're ranked in the top 10,000, let alone top 500, in the world and then I'll start taking your ridiculous opinions seriously.

Oh, here's some stats for you to process and let your brain marinade in.

PS: Keep in mind that Lee Westwood's "awful performance" netted him nearly $430,000. I'm sure you could do much better though.

Career Earnings :$38,208,945

• Events Played: 14
  • FedExCup Points: 791.77 (31)
  • Money List: 24
  • Best Finish: T3rd (The Open Championship)
  • Cuts Made: 12
  • Top 3 Finishes: 1
  • 2013 Earnings: $1,853,430
  • Top 10 Finishes: 6

Originally Posted by Spyder

Career Earnings:$38,208,945

Events Played:14

FedExCup Points:791.77 (31)

Money List:24

Best Finish:T3rd (The Open Championship)

Cuts Made:12

Top 3 Finishes:1

2013 Earnings:$1,853,430

Top 10 Finishes:6

lol what a loser

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I've seen a lot of your posts and I am really not sure if you are being sarcastic and trolling us still, or if you are really just that dense.

You're saying that any professional without what you consider to be "relevant" victories under his or her belt has accomplished nothing? To say that Lee Westwood is not a good golfer is just plain stupid, period. He's living quite well off of golf and has a fairly good world ranking.

You're another one of those people who think if you're not top 20, you're nobody. Tell me when you're ranked in the top 10,000, let alone top 500, in the world and then I'll start taking your ridiculous opinions seriously.

Oh, here's some stats for you to process and let your brain marinade in.

PS: Keep in mind that Lee Westwood's "awful performance" netted him nearly $430,000. I'm sure you could do much better though.

Of course he is a good golfer, he is on the PGA tour. Players on the web.com tour are good golfers.

Again it goes back to the non stop hype this guy gets and then receives no criticism when he wets the bed for the 500th time. The lack of criticism pro golfers receive is astonishing, other than Tiger and Rory. Lebron james misses a game winning shot in 1 regular season game in the middle of february and he is picked apart for weeks. Lee Westwood's (supposedly a top 10 player in the game) highlight of his career is winning the st. jude classic. He is a solid top 50 player in the world. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Just dont try to sell me over and over on him being an elite pro and then not pick him apart when he doesnt produce. Yeah he has made alot of money, coming in 5th/8th/3rd etc.He's good, just not as good as advertised.

Of course he is a good golfer, he is on the PGA tour. Players on the web.com tour are good golfers.

Again it goes back to the non stop hype this guy gets and then receives no criticism when he wets the bed for the 500th time. The lack of criticism pro golfers receive is astonishing, other than Tiger and Rory. Lebron james misses a game winning shot in 1 regular season game in the middle of february and he is picked apart for weeks. Lee Westwood's (supposedly a top 10 player in the game) highlight of his career is winning the st. jude classic. He is a solid top 50 player in the world. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Just dont try to sell me over and over on him being an elite pro and then not pick him apart when he doesnt produce. Yeah he has made alot of money, coming in 5th/8th/3rd etc.He's good, just not as good as advertised.

I still don't see what you're saying. I'm not even a fan of the guy, but common sense would tell you that he's obviously not "picked apart" like Tiger, Rory, or LeBron James because he is clearly not as hyped as those players and is not continuously in the spotlight. The only reason Lee Westwood was talked about as much as he was is because his following at Muirfield (even in the UK, Ireland, Scotland, etc.) was easily as big as, if not bigger, than Tiger's.

I can't recall any other major in recent memory, or any other tournament where they had pre-round coverage and hyped up Lee Westwood.

You also retracted what you said as well. Previously, you said Lee Westwood is no good. Now, you saw the numbers he produces and his earnings and you flipped...

Originally Posted by kw purp

When are the announcers/analysts going to stop acting like this guy is any good?

He has 2 pga tour wins. The St. Jude Classic (who cares) and some tournament I have never even heard of and has even less stature than the St. Jude.

But somehow he is one of the best in the game? smh

He is a winner in life, but a loser in golf.

Nope.

Golf isn't football, and life isn't Ricky Bobby's fantasy land. There isn't just a winner and a loser. Consistently making cuts and earning a 7 figure salary at golf makes you a winner...at golf. The fact that he has won a couple tournaments, something most pro golfers never will, makes him even more of a winner.

Ryan M

That is an absurd statement. Yeah, Lee Westwood has issues when he is at or near the lead in Majors and he probably missed his best shot yesterday. But he is probably playing the best golf of his career in the last 4-5 years and is definitely a Top Ten player. He plays the vast majority of his golf on the Euro Tour yet last season, with a limited schedule on the PGA Tour, he made it all the way to the Tour Championship. He has 16 top ten finishes in Majors, 10 of them in the last 4 years. How many current players can say that? More often than not, Lee Westwood is on the leaderboard in Majors.

Bill M

I still don't see what you're saying. I'm not even a fan of the guy, but common sense would tell you that he's obviously not "picked apart" like Tiger, Rory, or LeBron James because he is clearly not as hyped as those players and is not continuously in the spotlight. The only reason Lee Westwood was talked about as much as he was is because his following at Muirfield (even in the UK, Ireland, Scotland, etc.) was easily as big as, if not bigger, than Tiger's.

I can't recall any other major in recent memory, or any other tournament where they had pre-round coverage and hyped up Lee Westwood.

You also retracted what you said as well. Previously, you said Lee Westwood is no good. Now, you saw the numbers he produces and his earnings and you flipped...

I knew his numbers, I looked them up to see his win totals. I was not saying hes not as good as a golfer in general. I was saying hes not any good as the elite player they project him to be. The scratch golfer at my local course is good. Good doesn't mean jack

That is an absurd statement. Yeah, Lee Westwood has issues when he is at or near the lead in Majors and he probably missed his best shot yesterday. But he is probably playing the best golf of his career in the last 4-5 years and is definitely a Top Ten player. He plays the vast majority of his golf on the Euro Tour yet last season, with a limited schedule on the PGA Tour, he made it all the way to the Tour Championship. He has 16 top ten finishes in Majors, 10 of them in the last 4 years. How many current players can say that? More often than not, Lee Westwood is on the leaderboard in Majors.

This is exactly what I am talking about. How could he possibly be a top 10 player? A top 10 player wins golf tournaments. Lee Westwood does not win golf tournaments. He won the St. Jude classic THREE YEARS AGO. And the Freeport McDermott Classic (wtf is that) FIFTEEN YEARS AGO. Those are his only PGA tour wins. Thats it. And your telling me he is top 10? The guy who won the Sanderson Farms tournament the past weekend is more a winner than lee in the last 3 years.

If he's playing the best golfers in the world, and consistently ends up in top 10s, that would make him one of the top 10 golfers in the world.

Logic...how does it work? lol

Ryan M

I knew his numbers, I looked them up to see his win totals. I was not saying hes not as good as a golfer in general. I was saying hes not any good as the elite player they project him to be. The scratch golfer at my local course is good. Good doesn't mean jack

I already answered your "elite player that media projects Lee Westwood to be" claims. You should read what I responded with again... I promise it makes sense.

As for the part in bold... I don't get it. Lee Westwood is elite and is a top 50 golfer in the world. Those golfers are elite and the best that this game has. I don't understand what you are missing here.

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Nope.

Golf isn't football, and life isn't Ricky Bobby's fantasy land. There isn't just a winner and a loser. Consistently making cuts and earning a 7 figure salary at golf makes you a winner...at golf. The fact that he has won a couple tournaments, something most pro golfers never will, makes him even more of a winner.

Gagging every tournament (that big names play in) you have had a chance to win over a 20 year career is being a loser at golf. There are winners and losers in golf. When I play in a local tournament, come in 3rd place and get $500. I am not a winner, I lost despite placing and getting some money. This applies to Lee and many other tour players just at a much higher level

This is exactly what I am talking about. How could he possibly be a top 10 player? A top 10 player wins golf tournaments. Lee Westwood does not win golf tournaments. He won the St. Jude classic THREE YEARS AGO. And the Freeport McDermott Classic (wtf is that) FIFTEEN YEARS AGO. Those are his only PGA tour wins. Thats it. And your telling me he is top 10? The guy who won the Sanderson Farms tournament the past weekend is more a winner than lee in the last 3 years.

So, in your mind, Woody Austin with his four PGA Tour wins is a better player than Lee Westwood, right? Tell me, what's his record in the Majors? And why hasn't he played in one since 2009?

And BTW, Westwood hardly plays on the PGA Tour, yet how is it that he won over $3 million in only 15 events last season?

Bill M

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

If he's playing the best golfers in the world, and consistently ends up in top 10s, that would make him one of the top 10 golfers in the world.

Logic...how does it work? lol

Not buying a guy whos career highlight reel is the Francis McDermott Championship in 1998 and the St. Jude classic in 2010 is a top 10 player.

Gagging every tournament (that big names play in) you have had a chance to win over a 20 year career is being a loser at golf. There are winners and losers in golf. When I play in a local tournament, come in 3rd place and get $500. I am not a winner, I lost despite placing and getting some money. This applies to Lee and many other tour players just at a much higher level

Yup. Olympic athletes with bronze medals are losers too. If ur not first, ur last. WHOO RICKY BOBBAY!!!

Ryan M

Note: This thread is 3936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!