IGNORED

Most dangerous things you've seen on a golf course?

Vector Zero
Note: This thread is 3629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

If it's poisonous, you may be saving someone else who didn't see it until it was too late. With that said, I wouldn't kill it, I'd just be taking a bunch of cell phone pics lol

I suppose so. I've just never felt right about killing a snake (poisonous or not). After all, he was probably living on that land before we came along and put a golf course in his back yard.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by phan52

And I don't know how many here are old enough to remember the three wheeled carts, but they were ridiculously dangerous. I saw at least three of them roll back in the day. including  one that I was in. A friend was driving it very dangerously down a hill and I could feel it going, so I bailed. We were lucky we didn't get killed.

Reading this reminded me of when I lived in AZ.  I was playing golf in a foursome with a few of our neighbors.  It was getting late in the round, and we were driving up to the 16th green.  I was driving and pulled up to the green and got out of the cart.  Almost instantaneously one of my neighbors who was driving the cart behind me smashed into our cart going full speed.  He wasn't paying attention, and was looking to see where his ball was on the green as he was driving up.  It threw him into the steering wheel... And his buddy who was riding with him hit the cart canopy bar that runs up from the dash area with his shoulder.

It happened so fast, I was like W.T.F?  I didn't know what they were doing... The guy who was riding with me was getting out of the cart too - but was only one foot out and the force of the impact kind of just pushed him out of the cart and he stumbled but was able to catch his balance.  It startled him more than anything... We started to laugh, until we realized that they were hurt.  Needless to say they didn't finish the round.  They drove into the 19th hole and had a beer to try and gather themselves before we headed back home.  No broken bones, but those guys looked like they had just gotten hit full speed by you nephew Mr. Urlacher.

Never understood the need to kill a snake on a golf course (or anywhere else for that matter) unless it's in a position to harm someone.

As far as I'm concerned, being a venomous snake and living on a golf course is grounds for being "in a position to harm someone."

As far as I'm concerned, being a venomous snake and living on a golf course is grounds for being "in a position to harm someone."

I'm with you. I'm firmly in the "the only good snake is a dead snake" camp.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Played Wente Vineyards a few years back in the early summer and the only thing I saw on every hole besides a bad shot were snakes, snakes, and more snakes. On the way one of the holes, we had to stop and wait a few minutes to let a rattlesnake cross the cart path. Nothing made you more aware of the consequences of a bad slice or hook off the tee when you have to go look for your ball in a snake-filled golf course. It was a nice course, by the way.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Originally Posted by Motown88

After two hours of playing and only four holes complete we decided to hit into the guys after trying to ask to play threw on two seperate occasions.

I don't think you should have done that.   Your ball could have severely injured a person if it landed on head, eye ball - refer to Murhphy's law please.   Letting a faster group pass through is an etiquette and not a rule.   If they don't want to let you pass, you either play behind or skip a hole or two to jump ahead.   Better yet, call marshal to ask them to let you pass on your behalf.   It usually works.

I usually forgive one ball going pass me.  2nd ball will get me riled up.  3rd one will lead to a confrontation as it almost happened last Sunday.  On the 3rd ball which passed us, one of my playing partners hit the same ball into an OB area in full view of the group behind.  We hoped it was a Pro v1 or equally expensive ball . They got the message after that.   There was not a single passed ball for the remaining round.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

We did contact the pro-shop and since we're both regulars at this course we were told to let the group ahead of us know that they had to let us play thru on behalf of the clubhouse, that did not work though. That's why we hit into them, we waited until they were at the edge of our range before we hit towards them and were both short of there distance. It would have required a couple 300 yard drives dead straight to hit them which is something that only occurs on really REALLY good days! I'm not saying our decision was the correct one, just saying we weren't attempting to hit anyone, just give them the message we weren't waiting all day.

Originally Posted by David in FL

I'm with you. I'm firmly in the "the only good snake is a dead snake" camp.....

If I see a poisonous snake on the course, in my yard, or anywhere else where somebody is likely to get bitten I'm going to kill it...And I hope others do the same on the course where I work. I've got better things to do than to make a trip to the hospital.

I killed a 5 foot rattlesnake last year near my house when I was taking a walk and I stepped off of the road because a car was coming and I almost stepped on it. The next day there were a couple of old ladies picking mulberries right where I killed it in knee high grass. I told them about the snake and they left but I noticed the next day they had somebody mow the grass around the mulberry bushes.

I understand killing snakes in a neighborhood. I don't understand the people that kill every snake they come across, including the non venomous ones.

Tyler Martin

Skunk ...running at me while on the 18th tee...I froze...all I could think of was that skunks love Cheetos/cheese crackers & salty snacks. It ran by the tee box and headed to the stream. In retrospect why would I want to feed a skunk?...like they say in the forestry departments...a fed skunk, is a dead skunk.

I got hit with a golf ball twice during the same round last year. The first time I was still in my cart at a tee box and somebody hooked a shot from another fairway and hit me in the front of the shoulder. The guy really felt bad and I told him not to worry about it, and that as many hooks as I've hit in my life I'm surprised I haven't hit anybody.

The next was an entirely different story. From the 18th tee box it's slightly possible (once in a blue moon) to cut across the lake directly to the green but to do it you have to hit directly over the 17th green. For that reason it's against the course rules to go for that green, and there are signs to that effect on the tee box. My wife and I were on the 17th green and an idiot decided to break the rules and go for the 18th green. He must have hit it thin because it was a screaming low line drive and it hit me right in the stomach (had a big bruise for weeks).

I picked the ball up and showed it to the guy that hit it and then threw it in the lake. They jumped in the cart and left the course without even playing the hole, and before I could get up there.

Originally Posted by MS256

I got hit with a golf ball twice during the same round last year. The first time I was still in my cart at a tee box and somebody hooked a shot from another fairway and hit me in the front of the shoulder. The guy really felt bad and I told him not to worry about it, and that as many hooks as I've hit in my life I'm surprised I haven't hit anybody.

The next was an entirely different story. From the 18th tee box it's slightly possible (once in a blue moon) to cut across the lake directly to the green but to do it you have to hit directly over the 17th green. For that reason it's against the course rules to go for that green, and there are signs to that effect on the tee box. My wife and I were on the 17th green and an idiot decided to break the rules and go for the 18th green. He must have hit it thin because it was a screaming low line drive and it hit me right in the stomach (had a big bruise for weeks).

I picked the ball up and showed it to the guy that hit it and then threw it in the lake. They jumped in the cart and left the course without even playing the hole, and before I could get up there.

Wow.  Talk about a bad day at the course!?

Originally Posted by Motown88

We did contact the pro-shop and since we're both regulars at this course we were told to let the group ahead of us know that they had to let us play thru on behalf of the clubhouse, that did not work though. That's why we hit into them, we waited until they were at the edge of our range before we hit towards them and were both short of there distance. It would have required a couple 300 yard drives dead straight to hit them which is something that only occurs on really REALLY good days! I'm not saying our decision was the correct one, just saying we weren't attempting to hit anyone, just give them the message we weren't waiting all day

Well ... in that case, you have my permission to pepper them with golf balls .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

My wife when I am walking ahead of her when she is hitting.   She rides cart and I like to walk.  To save time, after I hit, I start walking to get a head start before she hits and drives past me on her cart.  She can normally hit straight but when I am walking ahead of her, she seems to hit to my general direction whether I am on her right or left.   She finally hit me once (my back near kidney area) and I dropped to my knee with pain.   And she rarely calls fore.   Perhaps, we should see a marriage counselor.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Am I the only one that has never hit back a shot that got to close to me? I try to avoid a situation where I may get hit into though. If I know I'm playing slow and can let people play thru I do that, if we're being held up by the group in front of us then there's nothing I can do and usually just brush off a shot getting to close to me. I've never been in a situation where the people behind me have continually hit into me though so not sure what I'd do in that situation.

Nope. I've never done that either. People have hit into me and I have hit into them, but it has always been on accident. More often than not, I wait for people to clear because I know what I'm capable of when I strike the ball well. [quote name="Vector Zero" url="/t/68698/most-dangerous-things-youve-seen-on-a-golf-course#post_872500"]Another random thought; does anyone else get nervous when watching the crowds lining the tee box as a tour pro is getting ready to drive? I know these guys are pros but a shank off the toe isn't completely unheard of for them, right? I mean, one really ugly swing and someone is digging a golf ball out of their head. [/quote] Back in 2007 during the Pro-Am of the Wachovia Tournament (now Wells Fargo Championship) I was almost hit by Michael Jordan's ball when he teed off with his driver. It was probably a pulled shot thinking about it now. I was only a little bit past the tee box and was leaning over the rope to see him hit, and his ball came whizzing by around a foot in front of my face.

Note: This thread is 3629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!