IGNORED

Standing water in bunker.

Jeremie Boop
Note: This thread is 3925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Asheville

Decision 1-4/10 says that it'll cost you one!

"If it is not possible for the player to drop the ball in a hazard, he may drop it, under penalty of one stroke, outside the hazard, keeping the point where the original ball lay between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped."

Well, it may cost him or it may not.  There is more to the paragraph in Decision 1-4/10 that the sentence above was taken from.  Let's look at that entire paragraph in Decision 1-4/10.  It reads as follows.....

"If the ball lay in a hazard, the player may drop a ball, without penalty, within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest spot not nearer the hole that is not dangerous.  If possible, the ball must be dropped in the same hazard and, if not possible, in a similar nearby hazard, but in either case not nearer the hole.  If it is not possible for the player to drop the ball in a hazard, he may drop it, under penalty of one stroke, outside the hazard, keeping the point where the original ball lay between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped. "

So, if there is another bunker nearby, he may take relief from the snake in that bunker and he may do so without penalty as long as that drop was not nearer the hole.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Originally Posted by RickK

Well, it may cost him or it may not.  There is more to the paragraph in Decision 1-4/10 that the sentence above was taken from.  Let's look at that entire paragraph in Decision 1-4/10.  It reads as follows.....

"If the ball lay in a hazard, the player may drop a ball, without penalty, within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest spot not nearer the hole that is not dangerous.  If possible, the ball must be dropped in the same hazard and,  if not possible, in a similar nearby hazard, but in either case not nearer the hole.  If it is not possible for the player to drop the ball in a hazard, he may drop it, under penalty of one stroke, outside the hazard, keeping the point where the original ball lay between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped. "

So, if there is another bunker nearby, he may take relief from the snake in that bunker and he may do so without penalty as long as that drop was not nearer the hole.

Rick, you do quote the Rule accurately. There are, however, no provisions in the Rules for free relief from a hazard. A drop from one hazard into a similar hazard is free ... but we're still in a like hazard. There are no provisions in the Rules to avoid the casual water or the rattlesnake by dropping outside a hazard for free. It will always cost the player a penalty stroke to drop his ball from a hazard into a non-hazard. Always.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Originally Posted by Asheville

Rick, you do quote the Rule accurately. There are, however, no provisions in the Rules for free relief from a hazard. A drop from one hazard into a similar hazard is free ... but we're still in a like hazard. There are no provisions in the Rules to avoid the casual water or the rattlesnake by dropping outside a hazard for free. It will always cost the player a penalty stroke to drop his ball from a hazard into a non-hazard. Always.

That is exactly why I said "it may cost him or it may not".  And, a "similar nearby hazard" does not mean there has to be casual water in or or another rattlesnake.  :)  Hopefully the player can find a place in another hazard to take relief without taking the penalty stroke.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

It is not even possible to drop a ball behind a bunker ( only with a waterhazard ) if you want relieve from a bunker the only way to go is back to the point your last ball was hit with a one stroke penalty.

Taking a drop in a bunker i think is never a good idea. because 99% off the time your ball will be plugged.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Originally Posted by tomvk77

It is not even possible to drop a ball behind a bunker ( only with a waterhazard ) if you want relieve from a bunker the only way to go is back to the point your last ball was hit with a one stroke penalty.

Taking a drop in a bunker i think is never a good idea. because 99% off the time your ball will be plugged.

Good morning, Tom. You may have skipped over a bit of 25-1b. There is such a provision.

(b) Under penalty of one stroke , outside the bunker keeping the point where the ball lay directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the bunker the ball may be dropped.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

In the situation I was in, the sand was so hard due to the water that it was like chipping off of concrete. No worries about plugging, though I did get a nasty little groove on the bottom of my sandwedge.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That only applies in a case where you are taking relief from an unplayable lie in a bunker.  Rule 28:

If the player deems his ball to be unplayable, he must, under penalty of one stroke:

a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or

b. Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind that point the ball may be dropped; or

c. Drop a ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole.

If the unplayable ball is in a bunker, the player may proceed under Clause a, b or c. If he elects to proceed under Clause b or c, a ball must be dropped in thebunker.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Free: inside same bunker within one club length, not nearer hole and safely away from dangerous situation.

Free: in a similar hazard, not nearer the hole.

1 stroke outside hazard, keeping point where ball lay between the hole and spot where it is dropped.

1 stroke by deeming ball un-playable under rule 28

Might want to eye-ball dec.1-4/10.

have a great day!

Note: This thread is 3925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!