Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iacas

Help us Make our Kickstarter Video - Film Clips for Inclusion!!!

27 posts in this topic

Dave Wedzik and I are going to be writing a book here soon. The working title is one I won't share, but it'll be a light mix of some instruction along with a heavy mix of strategy, scoring, etc.

You've seen a lot of my posts on the site about strategies for scoring, how to get as good as you can at golf given the time limits of "life," and so on. We'll expose myths, break down some general ideas and beliefs, and produce what we feel will be a unique book to help all players play their best golf and shoot their best scores.

What do we need from you guys?

Well, we're going to do this as a Kickstarter project, for two reasons:

• It'll fund the project without us going out of pocket.
  • We both want to check off "Did a Kickstarter project" on our bucket lists. :)

As you know, KS projects need a cool video. So we need from you guys some video clips showing:

• People making obvious mistakes on the golf course - leaving a ball in the bunker, blading a chip shot over the green, running a 20-foot putt five feet past the hole, hitting a ball into the water short of a green, etc.
  • People making some obvious and not so obvious strategic mistakes like "I'm gonna lay up to 105 yards, that's my yardage" or "There's trouble everywhere so let's just hit the driver and see what happens" and so on. The latter, for example, could be one guy saying it to another while pulling the driver from his bag.
  • People practicing poorly, or giving bad practice advice to their buddies - "Hey, I'm gonna work on my putting until I can make everything inside of 20 feet" etc.

These videos should be filmed in HD with some care taken to maximize the sound quality as well as the general "look" of the video.

People whose clips we select will get something. Honestly we don't know what it is yet, and because we might use 10+ people's clips, we don't want to over-promise something. If nothing else, people whose clips we select will see their clips featured in a KickStarter project video! :) So I can offer that as a prize. :D

The clips (shoot as many as you want - make a day of it with some buddies) should be available as their raw original files, and I'll arrange a way to get them from you guys as you film them. If you'd like to show off your clips, put them all in an unlisted YouTube video.

Feel free to ask any questions about the videos. If you have specific questions about the book, send a PM - odds are I will ignore them, but try asking if you really want to anyway.

Thanks!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hell, just come down and watch me play a round.  You should get enough footage to cover every mistake a golfer can make!

On a serious note, is there any type of timeline you are looking at to receive these videos?

Originally Posted by SloverUT

On a serious note, is there any type of timeline you are looking at to receive these videos?

Oh yeah, that'd be good information to have given you, huh?

August 10th. Two weeks.

Well, I finally have a camera that I can use for the My Swing videos, but I don't have an SD card that can store a video (my biggest is 256 MB - I'll be buying appropriately sized ones soon). I'll see if I can get any appropriate video in (it'll probably be practice stuff) during the next two weeks. Regardless, you can count on me to send some money via KS when that's up.

Stephen and I will be filming tomorrow.  I'll make sure to give an "introduction" to every clip so the scenario is clear.

Originally Posted by mvmac

Stephen and I will be filming tomorrow.  I'll make sure to give an "introduction" to every clip so the scenario is clear.

If they require an introduction they probably aren't clear enough to work in a few second portion of a video.

And remember (to everyone), the video segments should be short and quite obviously showing mistakes or "bad" things. So Shindig, if you're filming your practice, you'll probably want to film something like rapid-fire driver blasting, or something like that.

I hope a lot of people are able to do this because it would be an odd video if 3 of the 10 clips we use are all the same people. Know what I mean? :)

Originally Posted by iacas

If they require an introduction they probably aren't clear enough to work in a few second portion of a video.

Gotcha

I don't have a good enough camera otherwise I would try to help. You can film my yips in September though! ;)

This will be fun to do. I will try and help. I have a video from recently and some older footage (although not HD but good quality) as well when I wasn't as good. Any chance ya'll would want videos of people doing things really well and then you'll explain how it's down? It may be nice to see how an average golfer hits a shot as well rather than showing just a pro. Just a thought.

The best camera I have is my iPhone 5. That's probably not what you're looking for (shaky video with sub-optimal sound and wind). Any recommendations from any film savvy people?

Originally Posted by Spyder

The best camera I have is my iPhone 5. That's probably not what you're looking for (shaky video with sub-optimal sound and wind). Any recommendations from any film savvy people?

That's probably fine. Just do it on a calm enough day.

You have in mind what kind of things you offer to those who donate to the project?

I mean would it be something for 30 you get the book for 50 you get it signed and that sort of things?

Or is this something you still are thinking about.

Originally Posted by JaapB

You have in mind what kind of things you offer to those who donate to the project?

I mean would it be something for 30 you get the book for 50 you get it signed and that sort of things?

Or is this something you still are thinking about.

We're still considering the different levels. Personalized (signed) is one of the options, yes.

If you've filmed some things, please find a way to get them to me soon.

If you've not filmed some things, please do so this weekend and get them to me ASAP. If we use your video, the time you spend should be worthwhile - especially since you can film a three-second clip while waiting for the group ahead of you or something.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by iacas

If you've filmed some things, please find a way to get them to me soon.

If you've not filmed some things, please do so this weekend and get them to me ASAP. If we use your video, the time you spend should be worthwhile - especially since you can film a three-second clip while waiting for the group ahead of you or something.

Thank you.

Yeah otherwise the whole video is going to be me looking like an idiot

I will try and get some film this weekend if I can.

I'll make a video of what not to wear on the golf course for you.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I'll make a video of what not to wear on the golf course for you.

Just film some video of golfers making both tactical mistakes and just hitting some bad shots (from bad locations).

Not to you, but to everyone: here's a good one. Find a bunker where it's a long carry over rough or more sand to the flag, but a short carry to some nearby green. Show the golfer hitting the shot towards the flag when the play may be to hit towards the closer portion of the green.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0