IGNORED

Putting Yips cure--worked for me!

Bayou Boogie
Note: This thread is 1910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am 63 and have dealt with the yips for 20 years. Tried many different putters, stances, dots on the club handle, closing the

eyes, looking at the hole, belly putter etc. A friend's instructor showed him this and he passed it along to me. For a while

I forgot about it, and then in the middle of one really nasty yipping round, I said what the heck and that was 4 months ago and it

has worked like a charm ever since. Give it a real try if you yip and let me know what you think!

Hank Haney, Tiger Woods’s former swing coach, has seen thousands of cases of the yips at his golf academies across the country — from putting to chipping to driver yips — and says he there are many causes and no single cure. “Nobody can really pinpoint any single cause. The best information is that it’s a neuromuscular problem. There’s not anybody who can cure it. All you can do is find ways to work around it.”

I, too, am 63 years old, and have had periodic bouts of the yips. Also, like you, I have tried a number of putting methods including long, belly, and short putters. Regular grip and cross-handed. Narrow stance and wide stance. Open stance (Jack Nicklaus) and closed stance (Bobby Locke). I finally settled on a 33" putter (I am 63"), regular grip (after 15 years cross-handed), and square stance, normal width. But this year I have changed to a Lamkin jumbo grip (something new) which seems to be more comfortable for me.

The book, Zen Putting , helped me to be more consistent on the greens, with less likelihood of yipping. In fact, this year has been my best on the greens in several decades.  I did view the video in your posting. I agree with Hank Haney that everyone needs to find a way to work around it for themselves. If this method works for you, Hallelujah!

Hit 'em straight and continued good putting.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I guess because I have tried so many methods to cure this bane that had demoralized me

to point I was thinking of giving up the game, I wonder if there is something here that

can help others . The thing I was trying right before this was something called

EFT or emotional freedom technique and it involved "tapping" on pressure points on the body

and repeating re-assuring phrases--try working that into your Saturday foursome.

The day I first tried this Eagle method, I was very skeptical, but it worked immediately and

has held up in spots where I would have surely melted down (club championship matches). I

am hoping it can renew the game of others. I have searched the web and lots of books but

have never seen any stance quite like it. Michelle Wie's back is straighter and parallel with the

ground, but she doesn't have her elbows out, and I think that is one of the keys to this. Thanks

for looking and I am glad you have a grip on your yips!

• 11 months later...

Totally worked for me,  I played in a tournament today and didn't have one three putt or short missed putt.  If I couldn't have fixed this I was going to quit the game and I've been playing for 40 years and have been struggling with the yips for the last two years.  Thank you so much for the post.

I had, what I assumed was the yips many years ago. After trying all kinds of remedies that did not work, I was pretty dulled out on the game.  Just out of the blue, I changed over, and started putting with a left handed putter. I putted that way for almost 8 months with pretty good success.

After a round, I was cleaning my clubs and put them a way. For some reason I left that left handed putter out of my bag. When I went out for my next round is when I found out I did not have a putter in my bag. So, I ran back up to the club house, and purchased a used, right handed putter out of barrel for $15. I putted lights out that day, needing only 27 putts. It's been my best putter ever since. Don't know what happened to my yips, and really never cared. I do still have the lefty putter just in case.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am 63 and have dealt with the yips for 20 years. Tried many different putters, stances, dots on the club handle, closing the

eyes, looking at the hole, belly putter etc. A friend's instructor showed him this and he passed it along to me. For a while

I forgot about it, and then in the middle of one really nasty yipping round, I said what the heck and that was 4 months ago and it

has worked like a charm ever since. Give it a real try if you yip and let me know what you think!

Thanks for posting @Bayou Boogie .  What I noticed most was in the final body setup, the rest of your body remained still during the putting stroke.  This position seems to help you quiet your body, which helps improve the stroke. Your stroke also was smoother and more pendulum-like with a follow through close to the backswing length.  If it works for you, keep it up.

Again, thanks for posting.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I've almost always putted with my elbows jutted out away from my body.  Having my elbows tucked in has never worked for me.  I was never able to control the head of the putter that way - it took just about every path possible during the stroke, making every putt different.  When I "chicken wing", I can make a smooth stroke by rotating my shoulders, and I can keep my hands quiet.  I don't do it to the extreme that Michelle Wie does, and my stance is more open a la Jack Nicklaus.  I sort of mix both styles into a form of my own that seems to work for me.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Interesting stuff! I was told to put my elbows out and have for years, never been a great putter, recently I noticed some pros appear to have there elbows tucked into their ribs almost, I tried this for a while with even worse results, so I've been working on my putting stroke a lot recently to improve my scores, and I've found that, whilst studying Seve's putting, with elbows out, tilting the grip towards the hole slightly, raising the toe slightly, then keeping my hands quite and using my shoulders to stroke the ball forward , it has given me much better results, not quite as exaggerated as in this vid, but kinda similar!

Gaz Lee

• 3 years later...

Just found your post and going to give this a try next time on the course.  Been using a 38 inch counter balanced putter with pretty good results in holding the putter grip high with the hands.  This gets the elbows a little closer to the way you describe it.  This might just work.  Thanks for sharing! 

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

• 1 year later...
Note: This thread is 1910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!