IGNORED

Head Flew Off New Iron

Note: This thread is 3898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I bought TaylorMade RocketBladez Tour irons from 3balls.com. They were in "Like New" condition. Which is the rank right below "New" on their site. When they showed up they were brand new as far as I could tell (Besides the Golf Pride grips being put on crooked and inconsistently from club to club). I played 2 rounds and hit the range one time and I love them. I played my third round with some friends yesterday and I hit a 5 iron from the fairway and the club head flew off and went like 50 yards down the fairway. I've hit a few chunky shots with it but I didn't even chunk this shot! I shoulda been putting eagle off this shot :(

It know fixing the grips isn't much of an issue. It should be cheap to get the head re glued I'm assuming. Should I take my other 6 irons from the set to get checked to avoid this embarrassment again? One friend fell over laughing.

4 Brews / 18 Holes = Winning

5+ Brews / 18 Holes = Losing

BEAR DOWN!

Yes, you should check.  Flying club head can hurt if it lands on someone.   It can also fly into water hazard and that may be the last time you see that particular club head.

Normally, you see this happen only on $100 iron set bought from Walmart or rather.   I am surprised to see this happen with a reputable brand club.

( BTW, there are fake clubs that looks exactly like brand name club.  When you buy a used set, it is always good to buy it from a respectable seller or ask for serial number. )

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They were unused to the point they look new. And I've played all sorts of irons, these perform as advertised. My 5 iron pure can go over 200. And I've done some research, read nothing bad about the website. Everyone says they're legit. Would a shop be able to tell if they're fake? How would I go about finding a serial number, the packaging?

BEAR DOWN!

Originally Posted by ryband0

They were unused to the point they look new. And I've played all sorts of irons, these perform as advertised. My 5 iron pure can go over 200. And I've done some research, read nothing bad about the website. Everyone says they're legit. Would a shop be able to tell if they're fake? How would I go about finding a serial number, the packaging?

Sounds like you bough a genuine club set.

I dabbled in putting my own shaft on clubs.   You can do a quick check of trying to twist a club head.   If it does not move with fair amount of force, it is good.   If it moves a bit to side, it will need to be re-glued.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

First thing I'd do is contact 3balls.com and explain what happened. See what they say. I wouldn't feel confident in the other clubs.

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

I have same clubs, as mine were fitted the serial number is on each clubs hosel, if you buy standard set I believe a serial number for the whole set would be found on only one of the clubs hosel!

Gaz Lee

3balls is an authorized TaylorMade retailer. I just registered my clubs with taylormade using the serial number on the 7 iron. The rest of my club heads are solid but I'm gonna take them in to get checked and the grips fixed.

BEAR DOWN!

yea that is crazy!!   I had this happen to me back in 2000, with a cheapo set of MacGregor's ,  I think it started with the 5 iron and after a couple of rounds i had 3 irons that snapped and my driver had snapped.... the crazy thing was the 5 iron, i was on a par 3, and when i hit the ball, i instantly heard the club head fly thru the air and my two buddies, did the WTF!!!  and i ducked cuz i didnt want the club head to come down on me...  And we never did find the club head lol...

So my boss had his old no name set just laying around.. that i bought for 50$, which he really liked (but had just bought a new set of callaways )  and i used that set, for the rest of the summer and the next two years with no issue at all...

But I would seriously call up 3balls, and see whats the dilly...  I cant even remember the last time i've heard of a big name club maker having a club head snap off....unless it's a bottom end off the shelf big box club set...

It is what it is

The head didn't break off, it was just poorly glued.

BEAR DOWN!

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Yes, you should check.  Flying club head can hurt if it lands on someone.   It can also fly into water hazard and that may be the last time you see that particular club head.

Normally, you see this happen only on $100 iron set bought from Walmart or rather.   I am surprised to see this happen with a reputable brand club.

( BTW, there are fake clubs that looks exactly like brand name club.  When you buy a used set, it is always good to buy it from a respectable seller or ask for serial number. )

Originally Posted by Clubchucker

First thing I'd do is contact 3balls.com and explain what happened. See what they say. I wouldn't feel confident in the other clubs.

Really....epoxy isn't  bullet proof and it can fail from time to time even if it is rare.  What is 3balls goin to say? Should they give you a new set of irons?  Epoxy is cheap any way and I'm sure that Walmart can afford to put acceptable epoxy in their clubs also.  I think you guys are over reacting to a very small issue.  Epoxy the clubhead back on and keep it moving.  That's just like when one of my friends wanted to send his club back to Tour Edge because the ferule separated about a 1/6th of and inch from the hosel .  Seriously!

Now that is funny - made me laugh!!!!!! To the OP, Seriously though, there's a number of reasons the epoxy can lose its grip. I've heard one of the more common reasons is when people leave their clubs in the trunk of the car, and after a while the heat can break down it down. Just get it re-glued and store your clubs properly and it should be all good. What happened doesn't mean there is a quality problem with the club or with 3 Balls as a retailer. I've bought stuff from them, no issues. It's just the epoxy job that needs to be redone.
  • Upvote 1

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Note: This thread is 3898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!