IGNORED

New here/Wanting to post about someone turning pro someday

GHIN0011458
Note: This thread is 3894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone, new here.

So I like the forums here and reading but man, do people knock guys who ask about going Pro later in life. I am no pro; yet. I really want to see where it leads me but here is my basic story:

Never touched a club until I was 20 years old with my now father in law.. had some cheap wal-mart wilsons that were my dads and they needed an extra guy. I played a year of college hockey at this point and played baseball/hockey/soccer in high school.

I feel I have an addictive personality, and this game took a hold of me; Now I am 25 and here is what happened in 5 years.

Year 1: Practiced my ass off, knowing I could get better at the game. I ended up buying some Taylormade r7 Draws that were the thickest top lines I have ever seen looking at them today.. got a driver from my father in law and practiced, practiced, played, practiced. I was playing constantly while going to school. I would play maybe 3 rounds a week and hit balls until I had blisters and it hurt too much to keep going.

Progress there: I got pretty good at that point- Hit my driver 260 with a huge slice, scored on a good day an 84 at the END of my first year and on a bad day who knows. This was the funniest part of my whole golf career so far; I really thought I was the Sh*t. I thought I could beat anyone.. I was shooting at best an 84.. not good at all. The good news is, I wanted to play competitive golf.. so I e-mailed all of the University's around me to see if I could get on the college team. Out of 8 colleges, only one would give me a shot at their qualifier for Varsity/JV/ Cuts.. 12 kids were going to be there - 5 varsity/5 jv/ 2 cuts. Also, this is a D3 school.. I had no stats to back me up.. coach was taking a leap of faith that I would work out.

First competitive round ever- Shot 102. Still to this day the worst competitive round I have ever shot thank god. But the good news is all of the kids coming out of high school were nervous and I rang off a smooth 82-85 on my second and third round and made the 5 spot. I couldn't believe it. Yes we werent the best but we did get second in our conference and went to nationals the following two years.. nerves would get the newcomers every single year on that qualifying tournament for the team.

Long story short; First year- Traveled to 50 percent of the tournaments and averaged 84. Not good

Second year: Traveled to 75 percent of the tournaments and averaged 81

Girlfriend(wife now) got pregnant, I had to resign from the golf team. Graduated College with a scoring average of 81 in Division 3 golf after playing for 3 years. Meaning that I was shooting between 77-84 in TOURNAMENTS after only playing for 3 years. Granted I did practice everyday and my drives were now going 290 without the slice, irons 20 yards longer from compressing and hitting down on the ball and my forte is getting up and down.

Year 4: Year 4 was very tough financially; I had a new baby/ couldnt find a job out of school but did have some time to practice. I actually gave a few lessons on the side to make some cash for my golf game as we were in a financial spot that was tough for us for about a year and a half. I didn't play any competitive rounds except for 2 tournaments. I was still getting better; got 2nd in a one day local event with about 36 players shooting a 72 on a par 70 and then got 4th shooting 4 over through 27 holes. It made me want to get into competitive golf again so bad because I was shooting great scores in tournaments that I wished I was able to do while playing in college. I practiced as much as possible financially and putted/chipped almost daily.

Year 5(this year): Finally found a job and got back on our feet. I figured I was ready to go out and play competitive golf against the best players in Missouri/Illinois. So that is what I did. I played against guys on the web.com tour, I played against guys who are on the hooters tour and what not. I shot well but was inconsistent. Next year will be better because mentally I will be able to close out a round. I shot 81-82 first tourney, 84-72 second tourney, 78,81 third, 75,81 (7300 yard par 70 with 4 par 4s over 490). Not happy with my play but my scoring average on the front nine is 37 it was closing out rounds is what I had trouble doing.

This year though, actually about a month ago something just clicked. I am a par golfer.. average about 14 pars a round one bird a few bogeys.. but in my practice round for a tournament that gave out world ranking points for amateurs, I made 5 birdies in a row. Most I have ever made.. Last 10 rounds since then have been collectively 8 under par.

Long ass story short; I have played for 5 years, I went out two days ago to play nine holes and shot 32. I am a LONGGGGGGGGGGG way to go, but for anyone who puts the work and time and effort to this game can get at least to the top amateur rankings in their area. The key to golf is knowing how to practice. You have to work on one small thing at a time until it clicks. Mental game is my weakness and it is finally coming around. Course management will take a guy who has trouble breaking 100 to trying to break 90 after 2 years of playing just because they play the game smarter. I have no idea how anyone shoots in the 100's.. to me that is crazy. Play every hole with a lay up and you should still only shoot 90-95. Anyways, I want to try and turn pro around 30; that is 5 years away from now but what I have been able to do in 5 years I am proud of. My lowest round from the tips is 63 on a par 70 and I am breaking par just as much as I am shooting over finally over my last 15-20 rounds.

Yes, I was that guy who picked up a club and thought hell, I can go pro. But now I am more humble and know what needs to be done and what steps need to be taken to get there. I played with a guy who played in the US Open and am not far from his play. I have never had a lesson. Really it will come down to long iron accuracy and ball striking with those long irons next and then mental game to get to winning Amateur championships. But everyone who plays golf seriously plays because somewhere in the back of your mind, you know that it is possible to get good enough to compete against great players. Otherwise, if we only play for fun.. why do we practice?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for you, man. That's great progress in 5 years. If I can reach that after 5 serious years, I'll be very happy. Just keep your expectations realistic and bust your ass, who knows what can happen? The fact that you started playing competitively very quickly after you started probably helps.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like you've certainly got some level of determination.

Good luck with your kid, and congrats on the job.  Best of luck in the future.

You mentioned the mental game. This is what separates the guys who make it and the guys who don't once you get to that elusive +4 level of play. If you lose focus once or twice a round and you are in trouble. It sounds like you have had some success in a short time. Playing against the best players you can find in competitive play is a great way to assess your strengths and weaknesses. Keep us posted.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Good stuff, I hope you give it a good go, there is no reason why you shouldn't as long as you are making a living etc.

I have only had a membership at a course for one year, and my HC is down to about 7, which I feel is pretty good for one years solid golf.

Today I shot my best round of +2 and hope to be able to shoot this kind of score alot more in the next 2 months or so.

Originally Posted by GHIN0011458

I have no idea how anyone shoots in the 100's.. to me that is crazy. Play every hole with a lay up and you should still only shoot 90-95. Anyways, I want to try and turn pro around 30; that is 5 years away from now but what I have been able to do in 5 years I am proud of. My lowest round from the tips is 63 on a par 70 and I am breaking par just as much as I am shooting over finally over my last 15-20 rounds.

First, let me say that your progress is stunning.  I am very jealous!

Second, I would like to point out how easy it is for mortals to shoot over a hundred.  You didn't factor mishits into your equation above.  Imagine a tee shot on a par 4 that goes into the woods.  Then the next tee shot is a grounder that goes 50 yards.  Then the fourth shot is a chunk.  The fifth shot is topped.  There is nothing unusual about this for a beginner.  It can easily take one of us six or seven strokes for a normal beginner to get even close to the green.

Originally Posted by Chipless

First, let me say that your progress is stunning.  I am very jealous!

Second, I would like to point out how easy it is for mortals to shoot over a hundred.  You didn't factor mishits into your equation above.  Imagine a tee shot on a par 4 that goes into the woods.  Then the next tee shot is a grounder that goes 50 yards.  Then the fourth shot is a chunk.  The fifth shot is topped.  There is nothing unusual about this for a beginner.  It can easily take one of us six or seven strokes for a normal beginner to get even close to the green.

That is true, sorry to jump the gun. Taking driver out of play would help, but you got me on the chunks, I didn't factor those in. Pick your favorite club and hit it twice or three times if you need to. Par 3 courses are awesome too!

Originally Posted by pepsiplusconker

Good stuff, I hope you give it a good go, there is no reason why you shouldn't as long as you are making a living etc.

I have only had a membership at a course for one year, and my HC is down to about 7, which I feel is pretty good for one years solid golf.

Today I shot my best round of +2 and hope to be able to shoot this kind of score alot more in the next 2 months or so.

That is awesome- 7 handicap is pretty good after a year. Keep it up. Now that you know you can do it, you will get there in a couple of months I bet

Your handicap is 7 after 1 year of golf?!!!! I hope you are talking about shooting 7 over for 9 holes. Because if you are truely a 7 handicap after just 1 year, that would be incredible.

First people will always react that way because it is the Internet and people lie or stretch the truth. Second from my short time here most people who make a post like this don't contribute anything to any conversation here unless its about them and their glorious golf swing so people might not like them much. I am not one of those people just pointing out why people react that way but everybody needs to have dreams. Good luck with your dream just know that there are junior players right now that are scoring the same if not better than you and are 7 or 8 years younger and I am sure are working with well renowned coaches. But hey this is one of the only sports you can dream of going pro in for as long as you want. Work hard and it may just happen. I am 31 so I am working on the senior tour now lol.

James

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

Your handicap is 7 after 1 year of golf?!!!!

I hope you are talking about shooting 7 over for 9 holes. Because if you are truely a 7 handicap after just 1 year, that would be incredible.

I would say 7 - 8, I know that is a decent sized gap but I have been tracking my scores and posting them in, but it hasn't been updated yet. It's a course handicap too.

If I play any course around my way and shoot more than +10 I would say it wasn't a great round for me.

I didn't literally pick a club up a year ago, I hacked around a little when I was 12-13, then started again 2 years ago with some friends who just picked up the game, broke 100 after a couple of rounds. I got my membership a year ago which is when I started getting serious and playing twice a week.

to the OP. You sound like a person who is driven and knows what kind of effort it takes to succeed in your pursuits. This is a large piece of it, and I always wish those that are willing to put in the hard work the best of luck in their pursuits. That being said, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to have a backup plan. If you don't make the PGA tour, don't think that your hardwork wouldn't be wasted. Starting later in life would give you a unique perspective. In addition to that perspective, you also have done some light teaching. If the tour doesn't end up working out, you can still make a very respectable living and still get to live and breath the game that the rest of us hope to enjoy for a few fleeting hours once or twice a week. I can think of a lot worse things you could do with your life. In my profession, I am often tasked with sticking my head down and seeing the weeds, but sometimes clients want me to take a step back, stand up and look out over the trees. What I mean by that is sometimes, I tend to look at the entire picture. In your circumstances, you have a young family (to which, I am sure you are VERY proud) I have known only one person who tried to make the tour. The person I have taken lessons from gave it a go for 2 years. In 24 months, he played close to 1000 rounds of golf and gave it a go on one of the mini tours in Florida. That kind of time commitment would be very hard on a young family. Given how much of the game of golf is mental, having a supportive home life is going to be very important. If you have not already, be prepared to explain the process of your dreams to your spouse and children. Please keep us updated. Several people on this forum have a dream similar to yours, and it is always interesting to see when they post the following year with updates. These people take our hobby and make it a life style, and I admire them for it.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Originally Posted by GHIN0011458

Hey everyone, new here.

So I like the forums here and reading but man, do people knock guys who ask about going Pro later in life.

I am a newbie here, but I LOVE how the seasoned posters here call out BS. The recent thread with the guy from Canada was a perfect example. The key is humility. Guys shouldn't come on here guns ablaze, talking about how great they are, and then expect a welcome mat- especially when their claims are iffy. Your post was great, and you are probably a much better golfer than that guy. Good luck on your journey, man. I hope you beat out Dan McLaughlin (see threads on "Dan Plan").

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 3894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!