IGNORED

What "grinds your gears" on the golf course?

villafranca
Note: This thread is 3878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not much angers me but I'll add this...And maybe this is a little more advanced etiquitte but its where the pin is laid while you are putting. I try to gauge which direction my partners are putting to/from and make sure it wont interfere. I will also lay the pin uphill from the hole and pointed at it. I have played with some that will lay the pin perpendicular and downhill from the hole, while I have a downhill breaking putt in that direction....ugh! Mike

I showed up as a single on a very crowded day. I was teamed with a husband and wife. Both decent golfers. The course was backed up, so I figured "it's a 5 hour round".

The three of us are putting on the 11th hole when two guys drive ahead of us, skipping 11 and walk to the tee box on 12. I ask them what they're doing and they tell me " we won't hold you up!"

So we finish the green, walk up to the 12th tee only to see the original group in front of us putting out on a par 4. Point is we could have teed off except the two bozo's are 180 yards out in the fairway waiting for the green to clear!

I jumped in the cart with a six iron in my hand to impress on them the error of their ways. As I drove toward them, they picked up and headed for the clubhouse.

Total jerks, where did they think they would go?

Originally Posted by mikeprooo

Not much angers me but I'll add this...And maybe this is a little more advanced etiquitte but its where the pin is laid while you are putting. I try to gauge which direction my partners are putting to/from and make sure it wont interfere. I will also lay the pin uphill from the hole and pointed at it. I have played with some that will lay the pin perpendicular and downhill from the hole, while I have a downhill breaking putt in that direction....ugh!

Mike

I like to lay the pin from the back edge of the hole and angled toward me at a 30 degree angle. That way any putt I miss on that side will hit the pin and roll down it right into the hole.

People who sit there and tally up their circle 10 or double par while we're waiting to hit on the green. Like seriously, I thought it was commonly known that you add up scores on the next tee box.

People who spend 15 to 20 minutes looking for a ball. Just the other day we had our match get held up because the 2's spent 20 minutes looking for some guy's ball. Its not a serious match, so most people would have been content with a drop at that point.

Originally Posted by Lihu

23 minute hole times, with 10 minutes of putting. I just exprienced it yesterday.

THIS.   This is where even skilled golfers can destroy pace of play. Listen...I understand the need for a pre shot routine.  But it drives me crazy watching golfers go through the following routine: mark, lift, clean, check the green from 4 angles, replace, re-align your ball mark, plumb-bob, recheck the line, putt and repeat for the 3 footer to complete your 2-putt.  Maybe this process can be a lot more abbreviated for the same result.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Originally Posted by Topper

THIS.   This is where even skilled golfers can destroy pace of play. Listen...I understand the need for a pre shot routine.  But it drives me crazy watching golfers go through the following routine: mark, lift, clean, check the green from 4 angles, replace, re-align your ball mark, plumb-bob, recheck the line, putt and repeat for the 3 footer to complete your 2-putt.  Maybe this process can be a lot more abbreviated for the same result.

Amen

• 2 weeks later...

- American’s who shout ‘get in the hole’ after every shot on TV (even a par 5 tee off). Seriously – why?

- Guys who park in the disabled bay at the driving range so everyone gets to see their new BMW

- A four ball that spends an inordinate amount of time looking for someone’s ball which is clearly lost and will have to be dropped even if found

- The guy who does everything your golf pro says not to – and still beats you

- When I chip the ball one inch

- When I drive what appears to be a perfect shot up the fairway and the ball is nowhere to be found

- Golf clubs that don’t let you change your shoes in the car park

-       American’s who shout ‘get in the hole’ after every shot on TV (even a par 5 tee off). Seriously – why?

Yeah, it's so much nicer when some from another continent shouts it out.

I think the accent makes it much more charming.

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When people scalp the fairway so hard Geronimo turns over in his grave and then they hop in the cart and peel off without dumping seed on it.

Cigarette butts anywhere on the course.

-       When I drive what appears to be a perfect shot up the fairway and the ball is nowhere to be found

-       Golf clubs that don’t let you change your shoes in the car park

It drives me nuts when everyone sees a ball go somewhere and nobody can find it, it's as though some maniacal squirrel is up in it's tree giggling like mad at us all milling about befuddled.

What golf course doesn't let you change your shoes in the parking lot??

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

What grinds my gears is that threesome or foursome that won't let you, a single, through so you have to wait 10 minutes every shot. Happens too much.. that's why I stopped going out in the afternoon and on the weekends.. nobodies there at night.

"Eh get in de hole oi."

EDIT: For some reason I get attach quotes.. but that was a response to my man rehmwa

:beer:

Bill - 

Women. I don't care how sexist this sounds. They never, ever let you play through, no matter how shit they are, and even if you're playing as a single. I can see why some courses are men only.
  • Upvote 1

And th[quote name="tmac20" url="/t/69239/what-grinds-your-gears-on-the-golf-course/60#post_893774"]Women. I don't care how sexist this sounds. They never, ever let you play through, no matter how shit they are, and even if you're playing as a single. I can see why some courses are men only.[/quote]and then they complain about men's only club. That's like saying if your in elementary school, for every male friend you have you have to have 1 female. It just dosnt happen

Women. I don't care how sexist this sounds. They never, ever let you play through, no matter how shit they are, and even if you're playing as a single. I can see why some courses are men only.

I'm a woman and let me start out by saying that it doesn't bother me that there are men only courses. However, I was playing with three gentlemen from my club and there was a single behind us. I suggested we allow him thru on the next hole, a par three, since the course was pretty open in front of us. They refused saying singles have no rights. I always allow faster and smaller groups to play thru if there's an opening ahead of me. Sorry you feel this way about women.

Note: This thread is 3878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!