IGNORED

2013 NFL Football

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 3791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Yep. Gotta love Black Monday.

Browns are going after Josh McDaniels.

http://nesn.com/2013/12/report-josh-mcdaniels-might-not-take-browns-head-coaching-job-if-position-is-offered-to-him/

I wouldn't want to coach the Browns either.

I actually think the Browns have a bunch of good pieces to work with. They have a the Colts' first round pick for T-Rich. Josh Gordon is disgusting and Jordan Cameron is a good receiving TE. Their defense collapsed down the stretch, but they have a ton of talent to work with there. And Brian Hoyer actually looked good before tearing his ACL.

I dunno, I think they're a good candidate to do well next year with the right series of off-season moves.

I'm not sure if McDaniels is the answer though.

Keep in mind that McDaniels is the one who drafted Tebow #1 when he was in Denver. :doh:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

Quote:

Yep. Gotta love Black Monday.

Browns are going after Josh McDaniels.

http://nesn.com/2013/12/report-josh-mcdaniels-might-not-take-browns-head-coaching-job-if-position-is-offered-to-him/

I wouldn't want to coach the Browns either.

I actually think the Browns have a bunch of good pieces to work with. They have a the Colts' first round pick for T-Rich. Josh Gordon is disgusting and Jordan Cameron is a good receiving TE. Their defense collapsed down the stretch, but they have a ton of talent to work with there. And Brian Hoyer actually looked good before tearing his ACL.

I dunno, I think they're a good candidate to do well next year with the right series of off-season moves.

I'm not sure if McDaniels is the answer though.

Keep in mind that McDaniels is the one who drafted Tebow #1 when he was in Denver.

Haha, exactly.

That said, to his credit, he also drafted Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, and Zane Beadles that year, so not all bad. Still... Tebow.... Yikes. That must still sting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Keep in mind that McDaniels is the one who drafted Tebow #1 when he was in Denver.

And didn't he trade UP to do it too??

Haha yea.

The Ravens gave their 1st rounder and the Broncos gave their 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders. Oops.

Constantine

Go Pack Go!!!

Time to redeem that ugly, early season loss to SF.....  up in the frozen tundra, where the high is currently forecast to be 8* on Sunday. :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Haha, exactly.

That said, to his credit, he also drafted Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, and Zane Beadles that year, so not all bad. Still... Tebow.... Yikes. That must still sting.

Haha yea.

The Ravens gave their 1st rounder and the Broncos gave their 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders. Oops.

And Sanchez was taken at the fifth pick.  Sorry @JetFan1983 , you tossed a softball on that one.

It just goes to show that college performance at QB and NFL are entirely different. There are so many great running QBs in the NCAA this year..  It just never seems to translate to the NFL.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Time to redeem that ugly, early season loss to SF.....  up in the frozen tundra, where the high is currently forecast to be 8* on Sunday.

Now that is football weather!  I got to go on a tour of Lambeau Field a few years back.  We stood in the end zone and the tour guild made us all yell, "Go Pack Go!"  The sound echoed off the luxury boxes at the opposite end and it was loud to us and the stadium was empty!  Great tour and lots of history at that field.

My worry for GB is their ability to cover Vernon Davis and setting the edge to keep Kaepernick in the pocket.  With Matthews out the Pack loses a lot of speed at LB.

I don't always cheer for an NFC team, but when I do it's "Go Pack Go!"

Scott

My Swing Thread

Another reason Goodell has to go.  Petty and vindictive are the two words to describe Goodell's tenure.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1906402-peyton-mannings-single-season-passing-yard-record-under-nfl-review?hpt=hp_t2

Scott

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Haha, exactly.

Haha yea.

And Sanchez was taken at the fifth pick.  Sorry @JetFan1983, you tossed a softball on that one.

It just goes to show that college performance at QB and NFL are entirely different. There are so many great running QBs in the NCAA this year..  It just never seems to translate to the NFL.

The difference being than nobody had Tebow rated higher than 3rd or 4th round because it was known that he couldn't throw the sort of pass that a pro QB needs to throw.  McDaniels's selection in the first round was a head scratcher from day one, and proved to be a prime example of his unfitness for the head coaching position at that time.  I really can't say if he's ready now or not, but let's face it, Belichick is the boss in NE, and you have to ask just how much of the offense seen on the field comes from McDaniel.  I'm thinking maybe 50% (that's a guess based on his ineptitude in Denver), and he certainly has no other input in a Belichick run team.  He tried to be Belichick junior in Denver, but all that came across was the fact that he was clearly out of his league, but had too much ego to admit it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

Another reason Goodell has to go.  Petty and vindictive are the two words to describe Goodell's tenure.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1906402-peyton-mannings-single-season-passing-yard-record-under-nfl-review?hpt=hp_t2

Wow. I'd stopped really caring about the NFL this year (and gradually my interest continues to decline), but wowee:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/smizik-on-sports/2013/12/30/Bob-Smizik-Blown-calls-cost-Steelers-playoffs-NFL-needs-full-time-refs/stories/201312300134

Quote:

* With eight seconds remaining in the fourth quarter of a tie game, the Chiefs lined up to kick a 41-yard field goal. If good, it almost certainly would have been the game-winner. It was wide right. But San Diego was in an illegal formation and a penalty was not called.

This story from ProFootballTalk.com has a photo that shows seven Chargers lined up to the left of the long snapper on the line of scrimmage. The NFL rule book states that only six players may line up on the line of scrimmage on either side of the long snapper.

It was an easy violation to spot because it came with action at a standstill. As the photo shows, the illegal formation was in clear and full view of at least two game officials.

Had the penalty been called, Chiefs place-kicker Succop would have had another try and from five yards closer. There’s no such thing as a sure thing in kicking, but the likelihood of Succop missing consecutive kicks from 41 and 36 yards is extremely unlikely.

The NFL today acknowledged the mistake saying the play should have been ''penalized as an illegal formation.''

* In the first possession of overtime, the Chargers were in punt formation but the ball was snapped to Eric Weddle, an upback, who ran up the the middle for the first down. As he did his helmet came off and he lost the ball. The Chiefs recovered the loose ball and returned it for a touchdown.

Referee Bill Leavy announced that the first down had been made and the ball still belonged to the Chargers. He gave no explanation as to why the fumble and its recovery were negated.

Mike Pereira, the former head of NFL officiating who now works for Fox, offered this explanation on Twitter:

''In KC/SD game, linesman ruled that progress was stopped at the 30 before the helmet came off or the ball came loose. I don't agree. . . Replay did not stop the game because the ruling of forward progress is not reviewable. Should have been a strip and TD in my opinion.”

If the officials had done their jobs better, the Steelers would be playing at Cincinnati in the first round of the playoffs, not the Chargers.

In other news, that pass was definitely a backwards pass, but it's too late now to review it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Been off the boards for a few days and boy did I miss alot. I have to say GOOOOO NINERS! And when I heard what happened to the Steelers I immediately thought that was karma coming back to bite Tomlin for his "sideline antics" a few weeks ago.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Go Pack Go!!!

Time to redeem that ugly, early season loss to SF.....  up in the frozen tundra, where the high is currently forecast to be 8* on Sunday.

Now that is football weather!  I got to go on a tour of Lambeau Field a few years back.  We stood in the end zone and the tour guild made us all yell, "Go Pack Go!"  The sound echoed off the luxury boxes at the opposite end and it was loud to us and the stadium was empty!  Great tour and lots of history at that field.

My worry for GB is their ability to cover Vernon Davis and setting the edge to keep Kaepernick in the pocket.  With Matthews out the Pack loses a lot of speed at LB.

I don't always cheer for an NFC team, but when I do it's "Go Pack Go!"

Looks like both secondaries are suffering injury losses - Clay Matthews is out as well as Carlos Rogers for the Niners. This will probably be a high scoring game similar to week 1.

Go Niners!

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Wow. I'd stopped really caring about the NFL this year (and gradually my interest continues to decline), but wowee:

Nah, not really.  Before I explain ... I recognize that my opinion is probably worth a little less on this because of my Chargers bias, but I promise you that I feel this way no matter which way it goes. ;-)

Missed calls like that at the end of the game bother me very little because I recognize that there are missed calls all throughout the game (any game) that could have mattered just as much (there's no way of knowing).  Further, there are calls all season that could potentially end up meaning just as much.  One example:  The Chargers lost to the Titans early in the season on a touchdown on, basically, the last play of the game.  The Titans receiver pushed off and should have been called for interference but wasn't.  Had they made that call, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Now, on the other hand, had KC missed that field goal because it was blocked, because the Chargers set up with too many men on that side of the field, then it's a whole different story.  But a missed illegal procedure penalty, where the "procedure" that was illegal had no bearing on the play?  Meh.  No big whoop to me.  Another example (this one theoretical):  Team has the ball at the one yard line and is down by 4 with 2 seconds left.  They split one receiver out to the left and end up running a QB sneak that gets stopped and they lose.  Replays show that the CB that was covering the one receiver was lined up 6" into the neutral zone.  They could certainly call that, and technically should, but I'd have no problem whatsoever with them ignoring it (I think the way they handle this stuff in soccer is perfect**) because it has no bearing on the play.

**In soccer, they would wait and only call something if it turned out that the offending player was involved in the play.  So run up the middle, or pass to the other side of the field and they'd let it go.  Pass this way and they'd call it.  I wish they'd apply that logic to things like punt returns too.  An illegal block 20 yards behind the play need not be called (because so many of them are questionable anyway).  I've also recently seen them call holding on the return team during a fair catch.  That is pretty silly too.

Anyways, that's my "unbiased" view.

(I'm with you on the fake punt though.  I don't necessarily agree with Periera that they definitely didn't make the first down - because I've still not seen a good replay - but that was a ridiculous oversight not to at least take a look at it)

In other news, that pass was definitely a backwards pass, but it's too late now to review it.

One thing I've learned from playing fantasy football is that they review stats after the fact all of the time.  It's usually in regards to whether or not it was a sack or tackle for no gain.  Or, which player(s) should get credit for the sack or tackle.  Also, things like this.  Look at it this way:  What if the receiver was an RB and he was 7 yards short of a rushing record.  Wouldn't we want them to fix this for him?

Now, that said, I only agree with this if it was part of their normal review process.  (I confess to not reading the story :surrender: )  If it was some sort of Wade Phillipsian witch hunt, then its crap.  But, in general, I think reviewing games and adjusting stats is not at all abnormal.

Pass interference calls are often split second decisions and the refs don't always have the best angle. They shouldn't miss them often but I can see how it happens. However two nfl refs should not miss an illegal procedure call when the players are set and standing still. There is not a lot going on during a standard field goal so that makes it even worse imo.

Jeff

One thing I've learned from playing fantasy football is that they review stats after the fact all of the time.  It's usually in regards to whether or not it was a sack or tackle for no gain.  Or, which player(s) should get credit for the sack or tackle.  Also, things like this.  Look at it this way:  What if the receiver was an RB and he was 7 yards short of a rushing record.  Wouldn't we want them to fix this for him?

Now, that said, I only agree with this if it was part of their normal review process.  (I confess to not reading the story )  If it was some sort of Wade Phillipsian witch hunt, then its crap.  But, in general, I think reviewing games and adjusting stats is not at all abnormal.

OK, I'm caught up on this now.  It's only been brought up because of people on the internet, so it was not part of their normal review process.  Further, Manning didn't play in the second half "knowing" that he already had that record.  If they had correctly ruled that a lateral at the time, certainly he could have (would have??) played a series or two in the second half to get a half-dozen more passing yards.

They should definitely let this one stand as is.

[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/88542/] [/URL] Who knew!!!:whistle:  Kaper's is STILL in the closet!

And it's pretty well known that Aaron Rodgers grew up a Niner fan and it STILL pretty pissed about not being a Niner. Quick Google search and I clicked on a yahoo article: He talked about the team he really wanted to play for when he was growing up in northern California and going to school in Oregon, and going to college at Cal (Berkley): The San Francisco 49ers. "I dreamt about being the quarterback of the San Francisco 49ers. I used to draw little plays on note cards and dream I was Joe Montana throwing passes in the backyard with dad," Rodgers says in the documentary. But in reality, there was little chance that Rodgers would be drafted so high. He spent his 2002 season at Butte College in Chico, Cal. before transferring to Cal, and he didn't really hit the radar until the 2004 season. Half a decade later, he's one of the best few quarterbacks in the game, but it took the long first-round wait — and years of sitting behind Brett Favre — before he could make it happen. "On the inside, there was a lot of disappointment, embarrassment, just thinking about how hard you worked," he said of slipping in the draft. "But it was honestly the best thing that happened to me. I was 21 years old [and] I thought I was the best thing since sliced bread and I needed a little humble pie."

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

And it's pretty well known that Aaron Rodgers grew up a Niner fan and it STILL pretty pissed about not being a Niner.

Quick Google search and I clicked on a yahoo article:

He talked about the team he really wanted to play for when he was growing up in northern California and going to school in Oregon, and going to college at Cal (Berkley): The San Francisco 49ers.

"I dreamt about being the quarterback of the San Francisco 49ers. I used to draw little plays on note cards and dream I was Joe Montana throwing passes in the backyard with dad," Rodgers says in the documentary. But in reality, there was little chance that Rodgers would be drafted so high. He spent his 2002 season at Butte College in Chico, Cal. before transferring to Cal, and he didn't really hit the radar until the 2004 season. Half a decade later, he's one of the best few quarterbacks in the game, but it took the long first-round wait — and years of sitting behind Brett Favre — before he could make it happen.

"On the inside, there was a lot of disappointment, embarrassment, just thinking about how hard you worked," he said of slipping in the draft. "But it was honestly the best thing that happened to me. I was 21 years old [and] I thought I was the best thing since sliced bread and I needed a little humble pie."

We were all immature and dumb when we were young...... ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!