IGNORED

Golf in NYC and/or Chicago?

Slice of Life
Note: This thread is 3874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll be traveling almost all of October. Two weeks in the Chicago area, and a week in NYC. Assuming I get at least one nice weather day, I'd like to check out a course or two in both cities.

What do you guys recommend, and are any locals interested in meeting up for a round while I'm there?

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well in the Chicago area I recommend these two course, only cause I have played them. They are a bit north of the city.

http://www.oakgrovegolfcourse.com/

http://www.shepherdscrook.org/

I don't know how far away from those you are staying but both are great to play! If you feel like driving to the lower half of Wisconsin the Lake Geneva area has some great courses. I may be interested in meeting up with you for a round depending on the day, just let me know.

Well in the Chicago area I recommend these two course, only cause I have played them. They are a bit north of the city.

http://www.oakgrovegolfcourse.com/

http://www.shepherdscrook.org/

I don't know how far away from those you are staying but both are great to play! If you feel like driving to the lower half of Wisconsin the Lake Geneva area has some great courses. I may be interested in meeting up with you for a round depending on the day, just let me know.

I'll be in Schaumburg during the weekdays, and Chicago on the weekend.

We'll see if we can plan something!

Ryan M

first of all, for reference, here is the top 10 public courses for Chicago last year http://www.golf.com/courses-and-travel/best-public-golf-courses-illinois-2012

going to this course for my bachelor party/day

number 9 and 10, on the list and are on the same property.

http://www.harborsideinternational.com/coursephotos.html

edit: if you're near Schaumburg, I've heard good things about Fox Run

first of all, for reference, here is the top 10 public courses for Chicago last year http://www.golf.com/courses-and-travel/best-public-golf-courses-illinois-2012

going to this course for my bachelor party/day

number 9 and 10, on the list and are on the same property.

http://www.harborsideinternational.com/coursephotos.html

edit: if you're near Schaumburg, I've heard good things about Fox Run

I live not far from Schaumburg so I know a fair amount about the golf in the area.  I played Fox run earlier this year, and its nice, but nothing special.  Schaumburg Golf course is probably nicer.  Bensinville has White Pines which is one of the more popular public tracks.

It totally depends on your price.  Seven Bridges in Wood ridge (about 20-30 minutes from you) is very nice.  Bridges of Poplar Creek (very close) is a fun course with lots of water, very short par 71 or 72.

Are you planning a week day round / weekend round?  How much do you want to spend?  Harborside is on the south side of chicago, probably 60-75 minutes from Schaumburg.

Cantigny has amazing grounds, a friend got married there last year, we have never played but it was very pretty to look at.

Cog Hill on that list is simply amazing, and they have 3 other courses that are also very nice.

You will still have good weather in October but you might need to plan for cool mornings / early evenings.  If I am available, I would likely be willing to join you for a round (depending on which course and how expensive it is)

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I live not far from Schaumburg so I know a fair amount about the golf in the area.  I played Fox run earlier this year, and its nice, but nothing special.  Schaumburg Golf course is probably nicer.  Bensinville has White Pines which is one of the more popular public tracks.

It totally depends on your price.  Seven Bridges in Wood ridge (about 20-30 minutes from you) is very nice.  Bridges of Poplar Creek (very close) is a fun course with lots of water, very short par 71 or 72.

Are you planning a week day round / weekend round?  How much do you want to spend?  Harborside is on the south side of chicago, probably 60-75 minutes from Schaumburg.

Cantigny has amazing grounds, a friend got married there last year, we have never played but it was very pretty to look at.

Cog Hill on that list is simply amazing, and they have 3 other courses that are also very nice.

You will still have good weather in October but you might need to plan for cool mornings / early evenings.  If I am available, I would likely be willing to join you for a round (depending on which course and how expensive it is)

I'm open on price and week/weekend. I'll probably be in Schaumburg during the week, and Chicago during the weekend, and can do either. If I drive, I'll have my clubs, otherwise I'll just rent or something.

Ryan M

I'm open on price and week/weekend. I'll probably be in Schaumburg during the week, and Chicago during the weekend, and can do either. If I drive, I'll have my clubs, otherwise I'll just rent or something.

When exactly will you be in town?

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

When exactly will you be in town?

From Oct. 6th to Oct. 16th I believe.

Ryan M

• Administrator
From Oct. 6th to Oct. 16th I believe.

Does that put a kink into the October 5 plans?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Does that put a kink into the October 5 plans?

No, I won't fly out until at least the 6th.

Ryan M

If you can run a bit south of Chicago, I highly suggest George Dunne, its a great course and reasonable price.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Only because no New Yorkers have answered you yet (because all NY'ers are jerks!! ;)) I guess I'll try.  I know nothing about any courses super close to the city, but I do know that it's not an unreasonable train ride out to Hempstead or Farmingdale on Long Island where you could play either Eisenhower Park (they have at least 2 decent courses - one that the Senior Tour used to stop at) or Bethpage.

If you can run a bit south of Chicago, I highly suggest George Dunne, its a great course and reasonable price.

George Dunne is managed by Billy Casper Golf but owned by Cook county (the same county that the city of Chicago resides in)

Highland woods which is close to Schaumburg is also a nice course, and they often run deals for under $30 Monday-Friday 12pm to 2pm.  It is a nice course, not very difficult, some fun holes.  They also allow walking.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

My swing is in tatters, FUBAR, I am this close to quitting for good and am afraid to even step on a course. Maybe if the situation is better in October, we can meet up if you'd like. Meanwhile, I would not recommend playing any of the NYC munis unless you like slow play or the potential for a 7 hour round. Yes, seven.

Definitely play Bethpage. If you take the commuter train - take the Ronkonkoma line to Farmingdale, cab ($5-$7) to clubhouse. Some other of my favorite public courses in the area are The Links at Union Vale north of Westchester and Neshanic Valley in NJ if you have a car and are willing to drive 1-1.5 hours.

If you need any transportation details, ask away. NYC is a chaotic place, a little information will make things easier.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

for nyc, your choices are going to largely depend on having a car

if not, the easiest place by subway is van cortlandt

next would be dyker in Brooklyn

and lastly Bethpage by LIR and cab

if you do have access to a car, then there are so many more options!

If you're going to rent a car in NYC, you might consider joining Zipcar. There's startup fees, but worth it for the convenience and you can use it in US and Europe.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

For the record I golfed in INSANE golf course on Saturday. Its called Big Run in Lockport, Il.

dear lord. my local shop owner told me before I went there you have to be a frickin' mountain goat to play there. Man was he right.

It was grueling. Beautiful course with a lot of hills. A LOT.

Tees     /     Hole 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Out
Championship 375 415 435 160 540 465 153 380 610 3533
Regular 360 400 410 145 515 420 130 365 605 3350
Senior 345 385 390 125 500 360 110 345 600 3160
Par 4 4 4 3 5 4 3 4 5 36
Handicap 11 5 7 17 9 3 15 13 1
Ladies 345 300 320 125 435 360 110 345 450 2790
Ladies Par 4 4 4 3 5 4 3 4 5 36
Ladies Handicap 7 9 13 17 5 3 15 11 1
Tees     /     Hole 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Out
Championship 300 425 415 225 400 600 200 370 540 3495
Regular 305 410 400 185 375 585 175 355 530 3320
Senior 280 345 385 145 360 560 150 340 525 3090
Par 4 4 4 3 4 5 3 4 5 36
Handicap 18 4 8 10 12 2 14 16 6
Ladies 280 345 305 95 275 450 110 340 430 2630
Ladies Par 4 4 4 3 4 5 3 4 5 36
Ladies Handicap 14 6 8 16 12 2 18 10 4

USGA Course Rating and Slope
Tees Yards Rating Slope Front 9 Back 9
Championship 7028 74.4 138 37.3/135 37.1/141
Regular 6670 72.7 134 36.4/130 36.3/138
Senior 6250 706 128 35.3/123 35.3/133
Ladies 5420 71.9 128 36.2/128 35.5/129

Note: This thread is 3874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!