IGNORED

NEW IRONS.....Advice, suggestions, experiences

RaCs
Note: This thread is 3845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all, Hope you all had a good weekend! I have now managed to achieve and surpass my target of 18 by year end! Lets see if i can now stay there and get even lower if possible! I promised myself a new set of irons once I achieved my target in order to to try and futher improve my game and I reckon now is the time! Plus as my 30th birthday is comming up shortly my better half has agreed to purchase the set of my choice!! So need to take advantage! haha I just wanted to obtain your views and advice on which would be best suited for a mid handicapper like myself! I am currently split between 2 sets.....The Nike VR Pro Combo Irons and the Titleist AP1's. I am a sucker for Nike so I am probably more swayted towards the combo irons! The current nike irons (2010 Slingshots, super game improver irons) I game have served me well as I have gone from 28 handicap from May 2012 to 17.8 in September 2013. And this has been achieved WITHOUT any lessons or club fittings whatsoever and by playing once a week and twice a week when i have had the chance! My local is also the San Roque Golf Club which boasts 2 championship courses so I have been tested! I have had my fair share of ups and downs but I feel proud on what I have achieved by working on my game pretty much on my own. I now want to get myself a set of game enhancement irons. I am taking my golf extremely serioulsy now and in order to get better there are a couple of small targets I want achieve perhaps by year end: 1. Have a few lessons with the local pro to try and refine my swing and technique even further to become even more consistent (understanding that in the short term I may take one step back to go two forward) and 2. Actually get fiitted for then new irons. I have done so research on the Combos and AP1's however I would be grateful if any of you who currently game either of theses sets to let me know their strengths and weaknesses and how they have helped you and what i should be looking at in each set! I am also open to suggestions of other sets. Thanks guyssssss

Local Club - San Roque Golf & Country Club http://www.sanroqueclub.com/en/club-house/history Whats in my Nike M9 Cart Bag Nike VRS Covert Performance Driver Nike VR Pro 3 Wood Nike Slingshot 3 & 4 Hybrid Nike Slingshot Irons 5-PW Vokey SM5 52/8F, 56/14F Scotty Cameron Golo 3

Congratulations on your game improvement!  The very first thing I would recommend is that you get a few of those lessons under your belt and see where your local pro thinks your swing is before moving on to getting fitted for clubs.  The reason being that a significant change in your swing technique can have a real impact on the lie angle you need on those new irons, but even more importantly it can impact which shafts may be best for you!  Lie angles can be adjusted, shafts are a different story.  As you take the lessons I'd suggest discussing new irons with the pro.  He/she should be able to guide you as far as how much change to expect in the near future with anything he may want to get you to change.  He may well try to sell you something, which is normal, that's his job after all.

Now, on to the good stuff.  I got my Ping G20s about a year ago and they have helped me cut my handicap index in half.  I'd strongly suggest you give the G25s they're selling today a hard look.  They are much more traditional looking than the G20s, I'm sorta jealous.  And in November Titleist will be releasing the 714 version of the AP1.  I am going to go take a very very hard look at those myself.

I would suggest you not look beyond game improvement class clubs.  Golf is hard enough without making it harder using clubs that don't match your game.  All the name brand manufacturers have clubs in this class.  If you have one of the big retailers close by, go spend some time hitting various clubs.  See if one really grabs you.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

If you like Nike products then check out the pro cavity back irons.  You could probably get a set for super cheap right now

Driver:Adams 9064LS 9.5 *stiff

3 Wood: Nike VRs

Hybrid: Adams A7 19*

Irons: Nike VRs Pro Cavity 4-AW

Wedges: Nike VR Pro 56'

Putter: Nike Method mc3i1

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

Bag: Ogio Assassin

I've had the Nikes for a few years now, and still really like them. The AP1s are more of a game-improvement club though - thicker soles, bigger clubheads. Bear in mind that Nike is releasing an updated version of the Combos in November: https://twitter.com/nikegolf/status/378181319685316609

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nike Pro Combos and AP1s are two completely different categories. Titleist MB/CB combos or AP2s would compare more directly to the Pro Combos. I personally think the AP2s are the best irons on the market but every swing and every swinger is different. Don't overlook shaft options either. TTDG, KBS Tour, C-Taper, PX are all going to give you different combinations of feel, spin, and launch angle.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Nike Pro Combos and AP1s are two completely different categories. Titleist MB/CB combos or AP2s would compare more directly to the Pro Combos. I personally think the AP2s are the best irons on the market [/b]but every swing and every swinger is different. Don't overlook shaft options either. TTDG, KBS Tour, C-Taper, PX are all going to give you different combinations of feel, spin, and launch angle.

The Mizuno guys (like myself) are going to kill you for saying that. :-P Anyways, at an 18 handicap, I wouldn't recommend going with the pro combo irons. The short irons are not nearly forgiving enough for you. I'd wait until November and go with the cavity backs like Jamo said.

I have to agree, Titleist never really impressed me as much as Mizuno's. I know a lot of people say they can't tell the feel between a cavity back and a forged club, but you can hear it. Mizuno's sound is just far superior to Titleist on a well struck ball. For name brand clubs, i would rather go Mizuno.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!