IGNORED

To Golf Solo or Not to Golf Solo - That is the Question

ccRichard
Note: This thread is 3866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you golf solo?

• Yes
    • No

Hey Guys -

Question!

Lately, now that summer is over and everyone is back to normal work hours (read: holidays are over sadly!) I've been having a harder time finding people to play golf with. I've been starting to think about braving the course and playing a solo round. I am totally one of those people who goes to the movies alone all the time and I am used to eating alone in restaurants while travelling for work - that said, I've never golfed alone.

It's kind of a scary thought.

What do you think? Is it time I suck it up and give it a try? I feel like it would be a great way to really focus on my game and not feel pressured by the others I usually golf with.

Thoughts?

C.

Why wouldn't you?  It seems like a strange question.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd rather get paired with people much better than me all day long.  1.)  You don't learn anything watching scrubs hit balls and 2.) if you put up a little bit of a fight you can feel even better about the round!

I like playing alone sometimes. I get to talk myself through the game management, work out what I need to do to correct a bad shot, how to handle a bad lie, etc. All without anyone looking at me like I'm a babbling nut case! LOL

No really, you can get into the game that way, at least I do. Then when I'm playing with someone, I can call on the experiences I worked through when playing by myself. Ok, I'm still a nut case! LOL

Go for it. You'll enjoy it!

I play alone all the time. I didn't at first, but I live in kind of a remote area where golfing buddies are not thick. I do need to check myself from playing too fast when I play alone. After putting, I practice the putt again if there is nobody behind me, which, when playing alone, is usually the case. I hit two tee shots, I haven't tried playing two balls yet, but I think it will next time. It beats the range.

This is how I decide, range or play alone, as I am driving up to the clubhouse to get a bucket of balls, if I feel like the course is pulling at me like a magnet, I play a round.

I really enjoy playing alone. As much as I like playing with others, I find that I'm much more focused on my game when it's just me and the course. I do miss the good natured ribbing and "trash talking" that comes with playing with good friends, though.

I've been to several movies alone and it didn't bother me at all.  Then again, they were blow'em up shoot'em in the face action movies, if it was some painfully sappy chickflick it might be awkward.  I almost prefer eating dinner alone actually, I like the peace and quiet and unlimited time to browse the menu, read the web/newspaper, etc.

Totally agree on the eating alone.

I write on the side and I've written some of my best chapters / stories in restaurants over a dish and a glass of wine. It's something I try to do often.

I like playing alone sometimes. I get to talk myself through the game management, work out what I need to do to correct a bad shot, how to handle a bad lie, etc. All without anyone looking at me like I'm a babbling nut case! LOL

No really, you can get into the game that way, at least I do. Then when I'm playing with someone, I can call on the experiences I worked through when playing by myself. Ok, I'm still a nut case! LOL

Go for it. You'll enjoy it!

Why wouldn't you?  It seems like a strange question.

I'm still fairly new to the game - just not sure if it's something a lot of people do or not. I hardly ever see anyone golfing alone around here although our season is short - so that could explain a few things.

I'm still fairly new to the game - just not sure if it's something a lot of people do or not. I hardly ever see anyone golfing alone around here although our season is short - so that could explain a few things.

Just because you go to the course by yourself doesn't mean you will play by yourself.  But if you do, there is nothing wrong with it.  Look at how much money you will save on drinks if you get an ace!

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

What difference does it make whether you play with someone or by yourself?

I play 95% of my rounds alone.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I play alone once in a very great while. Golf is something I learned playing with my friends and family. Thier presence just adds to the experience for me. With this said, I love golf and if no one is available to play, I've been caught out walking the course a few times. (When playing alone, walk, makes it a more intimate experience, getting to think about each shot as you walk up to it. Also keeps you from catching up to other groups as fast)

When I do tee off as a single providing I'm not the first on the course early in the day........ I always check to see what is ahead if there is a gap in play.  If there are empty holes...I need to know what I will catch.  If I know there are 2-3 somes...that's cool because I can pair up when I catch them.  If I know there is a group of four with groups of 2's or 3s ahead, that's cool too....I can zip through and catch the 2's/3s.    If I know there are a few groups of 4 ahead.....I wait to pair up...........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

(When playing alone, walk, makes it a more intimate experience, getting to think about each shot as you walk up to it. Also keeps you from catching up to other groups as fast)

thanks......I'll do this more often.  I do enjoy walking a round on occasion.  It's also easier to find my shots

Bill - 

The club would rather have full groups for financial reasons. A round is only as fast as the slowest group. So, four players, each paying green fees, take up the same space as a single if the course is full. Kind of like a car-lift that doesn't like single riders if there is a line. In the same manner, the starter at the golf course will look to pair you up with a group if the course is full but be fine with you "riding alone" if there is no one else around.

But, when a course has gaps, a single does not cost the course any opportunity revenue and, it can be argued, is incremental revenue. And, if you are new to the game, playing alone can speed your play so that you easily keep up with the 4-somes ahead of you.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Note: This thread is 3866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!