IGNORED

My Swing (Smilesy)

Smilesy
Note: This thread is 3181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys, I'm currently a 4 handicapper with my strengths being driving and wedge play, iron play is what holds me back. I'm not a huge hitter but tend to keep it in play off the tee, just let myself down missing greens.  This is a swing from today, comments and constrictive criticism much appreciated.

I've been Playing Golf for: 6 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 4

My typical ball flight is: Straight

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Short right fade, due to not committing to the shot

Where are you looking to improve? Your a 1.8 handicap, so your swing is pretty much solid, and it looks pretty solid from the video you provided.

I could come here and say you should be playing a fade or a draw, or giving you suggestions, but your a 1.8, its kinda mute at this point. So, were do you want to improve. Do you want to eliminate a miss your having? Are you suddenly having poor contact? Do you want to play a different ball flight? Do you want to add distance?

Are you missing more putts than you should, missing more greens. Its tough to take a 1.8 handicap swing and say whats wrong with it. In that part of the game, golf is such a game of diminishing returns that you really got to be specific on what your working on, and what your looking for.

I'm a 6-7 handicap, and I can tell the difference between when a ball is struck high on the clubface or flush, The trajectory and feel is totally different. Right now I am struggling with being slighlty fat with the ball. I mean this might be the difference 1/2 and inch more forward the clubhead needs to be. That's how scary golf can be. I think Erik said once he was working on pro's who were hitting it a couple grooves to high on the clubface. What's the distance between a groove. Less than a 1/4 and inch. But to them that could mean a trajectory that is way to high, or coming up short of were they need to be.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the reply. I think my biggest issue at the moment is ball striking consistency, mainly hitting it thin. I think that is due to not hitting down on the ball enough, but I'm not really show how to improve on that.

From looking at the video myself, I think the biggest issue I have is early extension, which is something I will investigate how to improve. What else do you see as major issues.

Cheers

Go to your local home improvement store and get one of those bright orange driveway marker stakes. They cost like 2 bucks.  They're about 1/4" in diameter and will fit nicely inside the shaft of your club.  Jam it down into the hole in the grip, leaving a couple feet out.  If you are extending early, that stake will hit you on your left side before you get to the contact zone.  I wouldn't recommend taking full swings with that in there.  It hurts.  Ask me how I know.  You can take little half swings to get the feel. It's basically doing the same thing as the "woosh" drill, but with some real, tangible feedback.  It's helping me.  Of course, you're a much more advanced player than me.  So, my tip may be useless. :-)

Thanks for the reply. I think my biggest issue at the moment is ball striking consistency, mainly hitting it thin. I think that is due to not hitting down on the ball enough, but I'm not really show how to improve on that.

From looking at the video myself, I think the biggest issue I have is early extension, which is something I will investigate how to improve. What else do you see as major issues.

Cheers

Most amateurs have a steep angle of attack, i wouldn't worry about hitting down on the ball. The problem probably lies elsewhere. If your hitting it thin, check ball position, make sure you irons are not to far back or forward. Yes i said back, you can hit thin shots when the ball is to far back because your hands will flip at the ball, adjusting for poor ball placement.

If your catching it thin, Its tough to say because you didn't post a face on view, but its most likely you either don't have your weight forward enough, or your head is moving a bit to much.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I agree with guiseppe, that's the biggest thing I saw. Its a definite outside to in path which will kill consistency. Make ya hit anything from a hook to a slice and everything in between depended on clubface orientation at impact. Graeme McDowell says that he tries to feel like his trail elbow is going into his trail pocket which creates the desired inside to out path. That may help with the consistency of hitting greens. Grain of salt.

I agree with guiseppe, that's the biggest thing I saw. Its a definite outside to in path which will kill consistency. Make ya hit anything from a hook to a slice and everything in between depended on clubface orientation at impact. Graeme McDowell says that he tries to feel like his trail elbow is going into his trail pocket which creates the desired inside to out path. That may help with the consistency of hitting greens. Grain of salt.

Thanks, I'm going to do some work on that for the next few weeks and then I'll post again

Need more right hand resistance at p6 big time.. Retrain the hands..let the hands train the body

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

Late in downswing.at hip height,.,pull that club back with right hand. You EE ( early extend)..pull back with right hand..getcha some of this...and get some snap in there Might give u a shorter more powerful finish...get some pop in there. Turn right hand clockwise on the way down real hard..and don't let go of the pressure until as long as you can..preferably post impact a foot after.. Your hands will train your body to pivot to square the face Hope it helps.. Nice swing,,just pull back with right hand in transition

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

Pull back,,stress the shaft..pull back..stress the shaft by pressuring it with hands

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Over the last few weeks I've been doing some work on my game. For a couple of weeks I was pureing the ball, but pulling everything way way way left with my irons. I got a tip from a mate who noticed that I had ball way forward in my stance with my irons (PW was level with the inside of my left foot,and long irons on the outside of the left foot). I've played a couple of rounds since and have been playing much better (2 over and 3 over rounds). Anyway here is a FO and DL video of my swing from today with a 6 iron. Let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/BiOeHq4JvxY

http://youtu.be/0gJ85AOOoOc

Major casting job... That is one hard habit to break. You are leaking power all over . Took me a year and half to tame that

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks guys. Casting is something I used to work on, but at the moment I've given up trying to make any changes in that area, I think I have other issues causing me more problems.

IACAS, what you're saying there is exactly what I'm attempting to work on at the moment. I used to have a massive issue with excessive lateral hip movement in my swing, and I think in trying to fix that I've totally locked my hip rotation on the back swing. It's know become a habit that is proving to be harder to break than I thought it would be.

Thanks for the comments and I'll keep working away and post a follow up in a few weeks.

Cheers

Really not that bad at all..just hip height u lose it a bit. I think they call it "dumping" ...I think this is something we will always fight in the swing. Your. Low handicapper so your doing a lot of very very good things in your game,. I've also played with some top rate players that threw it from the top,,or "cast" as they call it. Didn't bother them in the least, they scored and hit the ball a ton Million ways to,play this game of golf. Stick to the programs and advice they gave U here..some good stuff

• 1 year later...

First video post in a while. For the last couple of years I've really just been trying to play with what I've got, which has worked ok, but recently my normal fade had turned into a slice too often for my liking. I worked out most of the reason for that was that my shoulders had become really open at address, my feet and hip were ok, but shoulder were terrible. Once I sorted that a out I was actually hitting it pretty much dead straight.

It's now winter over here in Australia and I've decided to do some work on my swing. The goals I have are to increase my club head speed from around 104ish to around 108ish (though I'd like 110), and to also keep my ball flight straight, to a small draw (I've had enough of the fades). With those goals in mind what do you all think I should be working on first?

Note: This thread is 3181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!