IGNORED

Best Non-Major PGA Tour Events...

Thrash13
Note: This thread is 6735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, in Trap Five this week, I will be talking about the best events on the PGA Tour that aren't major championships. Everyone knows those are the most special. I also didn't include the World Golf Championship tournaments because they are actually world golf tournaments instead of PGA Tour sanctioned tournaments.

My list went like this:

1- The Players
2- Tour Championship
3- Memorial
4- Byron Nelson
5- Bay Hill

The article will be published tomorrow morning, but I wanted to post this here to give everyone a chance to debate it a little if they wanted. It was tough to break it down to only 5, but I did the best I could. Picking #1 wasn't hard at all, but the other 4 are definitely debatable.

So have fun and tell me what you think..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Remove The Memorial from your list. Strong field, but it's first in line to be considered to be cut when the PGA Tour season contracts.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1- The Players

IMHO :

1 - The Players (beacuse of 17th and 18th only ) 2 - Bay Hill (love the course) 3 - AT&T; - (c'mon, it's Pebble Beach, nuff said) 4 - The invitational in Hawaii - too lazy to look up the name (winners from year before, Hawaii, wind, scenery...) 5 - Phoenix - that stadium par-3 setup is a great thing...

Remove The Memorial from your list. Strong field, but it's first in line to be considered to be cut when the PGA Tour season contracts.

That is brutal! Just about every one of them should be cut out before Jack's tourney. So is this the last year possibly for The Memorial? At least you get to go to it if it is Erik!

And Rafi, I struggled to not include Pebble Beach. It was right on the edge, but thoughts of Bill Murray motivated me not to put it. I know, I should be shot for saying that. Nah, I mainly went off a "strength" of field basis, because quite frankly, those are the ones I enjoy watching the most.

• Administrator

Here are

the details .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

...Rafi, I struggled to not include Pebble Beach. It was right on the edge, but thoughts of Bill Murray motivated me not to put it...

I wouldn't shoot you for that, however it's surprising motivation. I love to watch "normal humans" playing golf on TV and the AT&T; is a treat.

It kind of remindes you about the difference between a touring pro and let's say 8 hcp player... A small reality check with a lot of laughs. As far as Murray goes - he's ok, however when I think about the celebs playing there - Jack Lemmon's name will be forever associated with this event.

• 5 months later...
Greetings ...

My reply will be on the basis that it is 1998 or before. And my reply is ---

1. Grand Slam Majors -- Masters, US Open, British Open and PGA Championship

2. Other Major -- Players Championship

3. Important-A: World Series of Golf, Western Open, Canadian Open

4. Important-B: Mercedes Championships, Tour Championship
NOTE: Would be "Important-A" events if their fields were bigger (at least 40 and 60 players respectively)

5. Important-C: Memorial, Bay Hill, Byron Nelson, Colonial, Pebble Beach, MCI-Heritage, Fed Ex St. Jude, Wachovia, International, Los Angeles, San Diego, Bob Hope, Phoenix
NOTE: Would be "Important-B" events and rest of PGA Tour "Important-C" events, if current listed "Important-B" events (see above) were "Important-A" events.

SO THERE!

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Sport

I always like watching the Heritage at Harbour Town.

Quick note here off the subject kinda: I really enjoy watching this tourney now that I stood on the green at the 18th. Holy CRAP!!! that friggin green is small! And there is nothing but crap to hit it to on three of the four sides. If you go to Hilton Head even if you don't play the course (which you should) walk out onto that green.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

The tournament I'm biased towards, because it is so close, is the Wachovia Championship. Quail Hollow is a stunning golf course and they always have a top notch field. I would love to get onto that course some day...I've just got to make some rich friends in Charlotte.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

The tournament I'm biased towards, because it is so close, is the Wachovia Championship. Quail Hollow is a stunning golf course and they always have a top notch field. I would love to get onto that course some day...I've just got to make some rich friends in Charlotte.

Dave, that's quickly becoming one of my favorite tournaments as well. The great golfers are playing, and the course might be the most underrated on the PGA Tour schedule. Heck, the whole tournament might be the most underrated on the schedule. I enjoyed it this past season, and I hope it's as good next year.

Greetings ...

Quail Hollow CC, host venue of the Wachovia Championship (click-on for 03-04-05 results) , has been a tough track to score on.

As long as the Wachovia's winning scores stay in the mid to upper 270's (with an occasional 280-or-more score thrown in), Quail Hollow CC will merit serious consideration as a venue for a US Open or PGA Championship.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with doing this - about every 4-5 years, hold the Wachovia as if it were the Players Championship or a WGC event, allowing the top players in the world to compete.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with doing this - about every 4-5 years, hold the Wachovia as if it were the Players Championship or a WGC event, allowing the top players in the world to compete.

There has been a

lot of talk about holding a major at Quail Hollow. I think the more likely scenario for the Wachovia Championship if this happens is that the year an Open/PGA Championship is held at Quail Hollow would be to move the Wachovia to a neighboring course. There are a few courses in the Charlotte area that could accomodate it...not nearly as good as Quail Hollow...but it would only be for a year. Another option would be to move the Wachovia up in the schedule. That way they could play both tourneys at the course and not so close together (Wachovia in May, Open in June). A PGA Championship might be the more logical choice. Of course the Quail Hollow members may not like losing their course for almost 2 months out of the year. I don't think Wachovia would only get a tournament every 4-5 years. They are too big of a sponsor and their HQ is in Charlotte...so it would have to be held in that area.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Greetings ...

Not to worry, NCGolfer - I was not suggesting that the tournament itself be contested every 4-5 years, just the suggested special invitational format.

Of course, if the PGA Tour were to one day re-classify the Wachovia as an "invitational" rather than as an "open event" -THEN- the tournament could indeed go to a Players Championship-like invitational format every year, rather than just occasionally.

Note: This thread is 6735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!