IGNORED

Played a 2nd ball but did NOT declare it a provisional...

Irish-Ace
Note: This thread is 3773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use the same mark and the same brand of ball, but I use both a black and a blue Sharpie to put my mark of a shark (TinCup stencil) on the ball.  I always make sure that the provisional ball is either a different number with the same color mark, or most preferably a different color mark.  If for some reason I have reached the bottom of my ball pocket without restocking and I only have identical balls left, I'll whip out my Sharpie and put a small "P" on the second ball.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play with marked 1's, 3's and 4's. The marked 2's are reserved for provisional balls. This stratagem is pure genius!

Pure genius, of course, until I end up with way too many 2's and then out comes the Sharpie and have to redecorate them . Genius fails also when the need arises to hit more than one provisional. :surrender:

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

I play with marked 1's, 3's and 4's. The marked 2's are reserved for provisional balls. This stratagem is pure genius!

Pure genius, of course, until I end up with way too many 2's and then out comes the Sharpie and have to redecorate them. Genius fails also when the need arises to hit more than one provisional.

The simple answer is that you need to hit your ball OB more often. ;-)

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• 4 weeks later...
The original question was [COLOR=181818]"If you find it, you have to play it" - I replied that that isn't the case because I did not call my 2nd ball a "provisional". He retorted that it didn't matter.  I was correct.... right? "[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]'If he fails to do so and plays another ball, that ball is not a [/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]provisional ball[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000] and becomes the [/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]ball in play[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000] un der penal ty of stroke and distance (Rule [/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]27-1[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]);[/COLOR] the original ball is lost [COLOR=000000].'[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]Would confirms clearly that the poster is right and the FC was wrong. It would seem the FC was confused about the provisional ball situation rather than the player's right to take S&D; at any time.[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]Although S&D; is pretty fundamental, most players automatically think about provisionals when another ball is played from the tee after a wayward shot.[/COLOR]

Quite correct - in fact you cannot play the original ball even were it in some perfect position.

So I was playing in a comp this morning - on a short par 3 proceeded to hit a horror short right into bushes. I played a 2nd ball and specifically did NOT call it a provisional - rending my first ball lost.

As I was walking up to the green - I had a quick look in the bush for my first lost ball so I could just stick it back in the bag if I found it. But my playing partner stated "If you find it, you have to play it" - I replied that that isn't the case because I did not call my 2nd ball a "provisional". He retorted that it didn't matter.  I was correct.... right?

It seems a bit like there's an assumption that doing this is pulling a bit of a fast one on your buddy.  It should be noted however, that the situation still doesn't really change even if you didn't put another ball into play.  As you walk up and your buddy is laughing at your predicament of "having to play" your ball in the bushes, you can simply say, "I'm declaring that ball unplayable" and go back to the tee and hit your 3rd (assuming the other options are not viable).

However, it's certainly true that if you know there's no way you're going to play your first ball, you're doing everyone a favor by putting another ball in play and saving the time of going forward and coming back to the tee.

It seems a bit like there's an assumption that doing this is pulling a bit of a fast one on your buddy.  It should be noted however, that the situation still doesn't really change even if you didn't put another ball into play.  As you walk up and your buddy is laughing at your predicament of "having to play" your ball in the bushes, you can simply say, "I'm declaring that ball unplayable" and go back to the tee and hit your 3rd (assuming the other options are not viable).

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say with your post as the original situation is quite different from what you describe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadesworld

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say with your post as the original situation is quite different from what you describe.

Yeah.  That whole post sort of confused me too.  The OP played a second ball without declaring it a provisional ball, therefore it was NOT a provisional ball.  It was the ball in play and the original ball was lost.  If it is later found, that's irrelevant.  It has the same status as any other abandoned ball.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!