Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
res0n0xg

Going from Rocketbladez non tour to 712 ap2s?

10 posts in this topic

I've gotten to where I'm a pretty good ball striker and would like to move to the 712 ap2s as supposedly they're amazing. That being said, I'm afraid to lose the distance of my rocketbladez given their strong lofts, I love my 4i so much. Currently play 4-PW rocketbladez, 50, 56, 60. 5w 3w driver, putter. I feel I would need to carry 3-PW with the 712 ap2s to manage my distance gaps. , so I'd lose club somewhere..... Thoughts?

how would you loose a club? your lofts on the clubs just change.  Example your new 3 iron is like your old 4 iron loft, and your new 4 iron is like your old 5 iron loft.  So basically you have the exact same club lofts, you just have different numbers on those clubs representing the lofts.  Look up the AP2s and see what they say is the lofts and then compare it to your current set.

I'd lose a club physically because I'd have to carry 3-PW instead of 4-PW, one extra... means I'd have to ditch a wedge or wood. My distance gap is perfect now. The 4i is so strong it's 220, 5w 235. So if i went to 3-pw, 3W, 3i = 220, but no 5W, which would really hurt it seems.

Buy 4-pw ap's and keep the 4rbz as a 3 iron? If you hit your 4i well ya probably don't use your 5w much anyway? I play a very similar set up to you, & I too love my rbz 4i! I Don't use my 5w much anymore, I keep an eye out for a cheap rbz 3i just to see what that can do!

I don't use my 5W a ton, it's usually my go for it in 2 on Part 5 club, rarely will I ever use 3W on those situations as if I'm 260ish out I usually don't risk it. I like the 5W off the tee is tricky landing zones as it flies super high and lands soft, it's more forgiving than an iron distance wise too on mishits

Rocket balls PW is 46 degrees, i think your ap2s is 48 replace your wedges with. 52 and 58 The AP2 are not going to be as forgiving a the RBZ and will include a heavier shaft. Personally I wold order the AP2 4-pw and throw a 4 hybrid into the bag, forgetting the 3Iron

One of my pet peeves.

All the club manufactures today have delofted all their iron so that a 7 iron today is essentially a 6 iron from 10 years ago.

This is especially true for Taylormade.

So now when I am looking at a set of irons I forget about the number on the club but I look at the loft instead.

In this case, Spitfisher nailed it ... the OP should look for the lofts he needs rather than just at the number on the club.

Have you test-hit the AP2.712, or are you just thinking about getting them?

Also, other questions:

• What shaft and flex do you have on the RBlz: stock Rocketfuel 85 (gr.) steel; or, Rocketfeul 65 (gr.) graphite? Or a third type?
  • What shaft and flex would you select for the AP2? Be aware that the AP2.714 versions are inbound, so you may not be able to factory-select a shaft for the 712s - just what's left on the shelf.
  • If you have these ideal distance gaps within your current set, why do you want to switch out the RBlz?
  • If you're a 15 HDCP, why do you want to switch out the RBlz? ( Spitfisher on target with his question).

The table below compares the RBlz and the AP2.712 irons:

3 4 5 6 7 8 9 P W/GW
RBlz Loft 18⁰ 20⁰ 23⁰ 26.5⁰ 30.5⁰ 35.5⁰ 40⁰ 45⁰ 50⁰
RBlz Length 39.5" 38.875" 38.25" 37.625" 37" 36.5" 36" 35.5" 35.5"
AP2 Loft 21° 24° 27° 31° 35° 39° 43° 47° 51°
AP2 Length 39" 38.5" 38" 37.5" 37" 36.5" 36" 35.75" 35.5"

712 and wedge mix: If you decide to go with the 712, take a look at the higher lofts in that set. With the softer 9i, you might combine PW and GW, and go with 48 + 54 + 60 in wedges (drop the 712 PW).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weird World Recalled: At Christmas last year, I took the Rocketbladz 7i challenge - my X20 Tour vs. the RBlz for distance. My Calla X20.Tour 7i  averaged three yards longer, despite having weaker loft.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Weird World Recalled: At Christmas last year, I took the Rocketbladz 7i challenge - my X20 Tour vs. the RBlz for distance. My Calla X20.Tour 7i  averaged three yards longer, despite having weaker loft.

As I keep saying… There are a lot of other factors than just static loft that determines the launch angle of the ball hit by a set of irons.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0