IGNORED

Custom fit driver.

Note: This thread is 3261 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im planning on getting a custom fit for a new driver next week, problem is all my shots with 3 wood and driver are just hooking 1-5 yards off the ground not even reaching 100 yards. I am planning on getting a lesson to correct this problem should i improve my swing before getting fit for a new driver since i dont really think i could get an accurate fit with the way im hitting the long clubs right now? Im an 18 hc, this whole year i have struggled with my driver and resorted to hitting hybrids off the tee as i really dont have a choice. Any advice is much appreciated thanks.

callaway.gif X Hot Driver 11.5*

ping.gif G20 3 Wood

ping.gif G20 3 and 4 Hybrid

ping.gif G20 Irons

titleist.gif Vokey SM4 60*

taylormade.gif White Smoke Putter

I would suggest getting the lesson(s) first.  Your current driver setup could be partly or mostly to blame for your poor shots.  But your description of your current shots leaves me thinking you are likely doing something wrong.  Getting some pro help with assuring your swing isn't to blame would be an advisable first step.  Who knows, you may decide your old driver isn't so bad.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I would suggest getting the lesson(s) first.  Your current driver setup could be partly or mostly to blame for your poor shots.  But your description of your current shots leaves me thinking you are likely doing something wrong.  Getting some pro help with assuring your swing isn't to blame would be an advisable first step.  Who knows, you may decide your old driver isn't so bad.

I will try fix it before i have the custom fit. If I haven't fixed it before then i think ill take ur advice and get that lesson to try and fix it, i think i have grip problems as well that could be the main culprit maybe. When i swing with irons i might get away with it because of lower swing speeds but i notice the club face closes quite a lot when im swinging with the driver so i better do that lesson and take it from there. Thans for ur reply.

ping.gif G20 3 Wood

ping.gif G20 Irons

I will try fix it before i have the custom fit. If

I haven't fixed it before then i think ill take ur advice and get that lesson to try and fix it, i think i have grip problems as well that could be the main culprit maybe. When i swing with irons i might get away with it because of lower swing speeds but i notice the club face closes quite a lot when im swinging with the driver so i better do that lesson and take it from there. Thans for ur reply.

Quick fix that may help - tee the ball back in your stance a little bit, almost in the middle of your stance.  This may possibly help leave your face square at impact vs rotating through impact.  It will feel awkward, but just throwing something out there for you.

So i got fit for a driver today, turns out im a regular shaft not stiff and was striking the ball with a closed face which delofted the club giving it less loft and low launch. I decided to get fit for the X hot driver. He gave me the regular shaft with an 11.5* loft, put the head to open and the ball was flying nicely. He changed my grip and improved my stance so still a lot of work to do but this guy really helped me, he is a former pro and won a few national events (ireland) he could tell i played snooker left handed just by looking at my grip. He also could tell my brother over analyses things in general just by watching him swing and was thinking to much about his swing instead of actually hitting it. I was so impressed with him i will go back there again in the future, it's a 2 hour drive but it's worth it when u get quality service.

ping.gif G20 3 Wood

ping.gif G20 Irons

So i got fit for a driver today, turns out im a regular shaft not stiff and was striking the ball with a closed face which delofted the club giving it less loft and low launch. I decided to get fit for the X hot driver.

He gave me the regular shaft with an 11.5* loft, put the head to open and the ball was flying nicely. He changed my grip and improved my stance so still a lot of work to do but this guy really helped me, he is a former pro and won a few national events (ireland) he could tell i played snooker left handed just by looking at my grip. He also could tell my brother over analyses things in general just by watching him swing and was thinking to much about his swing instead of actually hitting it.

I was so impressed with him i will go back there again in the future, it's a 2 hour drive but it's worth it when u get quality service.

Glad to hear you got it worked out!  And two hours is NOTHING when you're getting the results you want!

I couldn't agree more, There are cheaper franchises here in ireland than the Americangolf shop i went to but i would gladly pay that bit more to get that service he gave. His knowledge of the game was very impressive. I told him i was also looking for new irons and he told me to keep the ones i have as they are fine for me now, he could have showed me the latest model and said these will improve you but he just really gave me and my bro great advice and i will definitely return.

One  thing i have learned is to never buy off the shelf it can honestly make your game much harder than it should be with just a minor tweak missing.

ping.gif G20 3 Wood

ping.gif G20 Irons

• 8 months later...

Is anyone aware of where you can have a driver made that sets up at least 5 degrees open when you set it on the ground?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am planning on getting a lesson to correct this problem should i improve my swing before getting fit for a new driver ...

Definitely.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Definitely get a lesson. Most folks resort to hybrids etc off the tee like you describe simply because they have more loft and a shorter shaft which is a little more forgiving... Along with the confidence of not hitting the driver. You will find it. Your pro will help you, but I do recommend you avoid getting a 8.5 or maybe even 9.5 driver, get one with a little loft, the fitting will tell you after you take your polished up swing to the fitter. They can match your spin rate etc. I can only stress.. The SHAFT.. Is most important... Trust me.. It's the engine, best driver head in world won't work without the right shaft...

• 9 months later...
I went to the PGA superstore today and tried out the r15. With a 114 average club head speed and a 9.5 driver set to low carrying 270-265. With my current driver I carry it 260-265. If I get custom fit how much distance could I pick up?

I went to the PGA superstore today and tried out the r15. With a 114 average club head speed and a 9.5 driver set to low carrying 270-265. With my current driver I carry it 260-265. If I get custom fit how much distance could I pick up?

At 114 mph, you should be getting 165-170 ball speed on a good struck ball. If you can get low 2000 rpm spin with a 15-16 degree launch you should be getting 290 carry on your driver.

If you are getting 270-265 your strike is either poor or you're not optimizing your ball flight. Even with a lower launch angle and higher spin rate (12 degrees, 3500 rpm) you should be getting about 279 carry.

For you I would check out a 10.5 degree driver and start hitting up on the ball.

Basically you probably need to work on your ball striking with your driver and get fitted. You should see substantial increase in distance.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

At 114 mph, you should be getting 165-170 ball speed on a good struck ball. If you can get low 2000 rpm spin with a 15-16 degree launch you should be getting 290 carry on your driver.  If you are getting 270-265 your strike is either poor or you're not optimizing your ball flight. Even with a lower launch angle and higher spin rate (12 degrees, 3500 rpm) you should be getting about 279 carry.  For you I would check out a 10.5 degree driver and start hitting up on the ball.  Basically you probably need to work on your ball striking with your driver and get fitted. You should see substantial increase in distance.

My dumbass forgot to look at the spin and AoA and stuff because I was in a rush but if I remember on ones that I looked at ball speed was 165 or so. I hit the r15 9.5 stiff and it was launching super super high and carrying 260 or so. I then set it to low loft and it was a little lower but still too high and 265-270 carry. That was the lowest loft in that model they had to demo. I hit a few of the 915 and the face felt like it was super hot but I didn't get a chance to change it and was hooking it while the r15 was a straight block. I think I'm going to get custom fit because 20 plus yards of carry would be big

Note: This thread is 3261 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!