IGNORED

My Swing (billchao)

billchao

• Administrator

Can't, puts the left side trees into play.

I'm not sure you're understanding Shot Zones, then… :-)

If you're hitting the driver 5-50 yards right, then… you can aim left. You should be aiming left.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not sure you're understanding Shot Zones, then… :-) If you're hitting the driver 5-50 yards right, then… you can aim left. You should be aiming left.

:doh: Right, I'm having a mental issue with lining up straight at the trees left, but, since none of my drives go left... Actually I think this is a perfect example with what is wrong with my game. I keep thinking I'm supposed to hit the ball where I aim, when I should really be aiming at where I hit the ball. For some reason or another, I'm stuck on the target being straight down my toe line. I feel like a complete wangus now.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Can't, puts the left side trees into play. I literally line up along the tree line, figure I'll hit a perfectly struck shot into the left rough.

BTW I rarely hit the driver left, so that's why I can line up like that. If I pull it or hook it, I consider it an anomaly.

I think what I should actually be doing is aiming more right, without changing the face orientation. That would alter my path to the ball and the face to path relationship.

Do the woods have a lot of undergrowth on both sides?  If one side has trees but is clean underneath, then you can favor that side because you at least have a potential second shot.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Do the woods have a lot of undergrowth on both sides?  If one side has trees but is clean underneath, then you can favor that side because you at least have a potential second shot.

Depends on the course and the hole. There are definitely some spots like that (#2 at my local mini is cleared out in the right side woods, I hit into there all the time), but other spots aren't maintained at all. Then the problem is still being in the middle of the woods and trying to advance the ball through the trees. I think the best bet for some of the narrower holes with more penal woods is to just avoid them. I need to reevaluate my Decision Maps.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Depends on the course and the hole. There are definitely some spots like that (#2 at my local mini is cleared out in the right side woods, I hit into there all the time), but other spots aren't maintained at all. Then the problem is still being in the middle of the woods and trying to advance the ball through the trees. I think the best bet for some of the narrower holes with more penal woods is to just avoid them. I need to reevaluate my Decision Maps.

I used this approach on the 18th at Trull Brook yesterday.  Short narrow par 4.  Left is OB, right is the 9th fairway with a few trees separating the fairways, but clean underneath.  Usually I would take a 3H or similar to just get it in the fairway.  This time I took driver and  aimed so my shot zone would not put me OB.  I ended up a few feet on the right in the 9th rough, but with a shot at the green.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I used this approach on the 18th at Trull Brook yesterday.  Short narrow par 4.  Left is OB, right is the 9th fairway with a few trees separating the fairways, but clean underneath.  Usually I would take a 3H or similar to just get it in the fairway.  This time I took driver and  aimed so my shot zone would not put me OB.  I ended up a few feet on the right in the 9th rough, but with a shot at the green.

Nice, well played. I totally take advantage of adjacent fairways if it is available. That strategy I discovered long ago, before Lowest Score Wins . Other advantage is that I learned quickly what trees I can and can't hit over.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Here's an update on what I've been working on. I've been pretty busy lately, so I haven't been filming or hitting balls, but I'm still practicing when I can. Setup changes are pretty much concrete, now. Feels like I'm standing a little bit more on my heels and my upper back is more rounded. Right shoulder is dipped lower than I'm used to and my wrists are more downturned, so the handle is pointed more at my belt buckle. Also noticed that my grip was getting too palmy again, so I adjusted the way I grab the club. Before, I would hold the club in my hands and adjust if I felt it was too much in the palms. Now I'm setting it into the fingers of my left hand and leaving it there. I know my grip affects my wrist cupping, so this is kind of an important step I have to be aware of. Last thing I started doing is pretty significant and I'd love to see how it looks on video. It's really a Key #2 thing, but it's important for me because it affects my Keys #3 and #4. Basically, I'm changing my lower body action in the downswing. Before, I would start the downswing with a hip bump, but I rotate too quickly and spin out, causing my path to go left. So now I'm starting my downswing with more of a "leg drive," for lack of a better term. It feels like I'm turning my knees towards the target, almost as if I'm increasing their flex and squatting into the downswing. Seems to help me lay down the shaft in the early part of the downswing. It also feels like it cleans up my footwork, too. Again, I'd love to see what is actually going on with video. Hopefully I'll be able to get to the range tomorrow and film something.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Grr I suck at deep hands. I keep losing PP#4 and I don't even realize it. Going to focus on this for a while. Good thing is, I know what I have to do, I just don't do it because I think I'm doing it. Rest of the practice session went well. I switched putting grips to allow myself to putt with my right hand better, still have some distance control issues. Was great at around the clock from 3', so I moved to 4'. Best streak from there was 4. Still have trouble with 9' putts. I hit some long lag putts and put them all within 5' of the hole (not great, but two-puttable). Short game is getting better, but it still sucks. Took 20 balls to score 50. I tried to really focus on the target instead of mechanics, which seemed to help. Swing is decent. Flight is pretty good, actually. Just need to remember to aim more left and get my hands deeper. The rest is kind of nit-picking details. I did hit two balls at the end, focusing only on deep hands with my 7i at the end of the session and hit two beautiful push draws, right at my target. Videos later.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Bill

My Swing Thread

The thing that jumps out to me is the the lack of quality of contact with the ball in your last video. I believe this is one of the reasons the ball goes so far left. Check out a video of hunter mahan. His swing is similar to yours that may give you a guide for improvement.

The thing that jumps out to me is the the lack of quality of contact with the ball in your last video. I believe this is one of the reasons the ball goes so far left. Check out a video of hunter mahan. His swing is similar to yours that may give you a guide for improvement.

I appreciate the feedback, but I hit the ball pretty well in that video. I'm also not sure what you mean by hitting the ball so far left? It started on basically the line I wanted, maybe a hair to the left if I'm being picky, but it drew to the left of my target, which is what I'm trying to work on. Maybe it looks like I'm hitting far left because I'm not hitting to a target that's parallel to the bay?

Bill

My Swing Thread

It may have been more the angle of the camera and where it looks like your aimed is kind of an illusion.

Yea you have to follow my toe line, the fences are irrelevant.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Yeah I can see that now. Do you struggle with consistent distance?

Not really, no. Why do you ask?

Bill

My Swing Thread

Have you ever had your irons checked to see where your making contact on the bottom of the club? Club fitters use impact tape on the bottom of the club and check to see if your striking the ground square. I have a flat swing and this really helped me.

Have you ever had your irons checked to see where your making contact on the bottom of the club? Club fitters use impact tape on the bottom of the club and check to see if your striking the ground square. I have a flat swing and this really helped me.

Yup. My lie angles are fine.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Grr I suck at deep hands. I keep losing PP#4 and I don't even realize it. Going to focus on this for a while. Good thing is, I know what I have to do, I just don't do it because I think I'm doing it.

Rest of the practice session went well.

I switched putting grips to allow myself to putt with my right hand better, still have some distance control issues. Was great at around the clock from 3', so I moved to 4'. Best streak from there was 4. Still have trouble with 9' putts. I hit some long lag putts and put them all within 5' of the hole (not great, but two-puttable).

Short game is getting better, but it still sucks. Took 20 balls to score 50. I tried to really focus on the target instead of mechanics, which seemed to help.

Swing is decent. Flight is pretty good, actually. Just need to remember to aim more left and get my hands deeper. The rest is kind of nit-picking details. I did hit two balls at the end, focusing only on deep hands with my 7i at the end of the session and hit two beautiful push draws, right at my target.

Videos later.

Remember to slow down your practices.  I tend to be too impatient and go to full swings when I should be doing slow repetition.  I have a different priority piece than you.  But it takes a while to change a habit that we've developed in our swings.  It took me 6 months to get my hands higher at A4.  Now it is taking me another six to lay down the shaft from A4 - 5.

Scott

My Swing Thread