IGNORED

"Buying a game"

Note: This thread is 6121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anybody notice how many golfers out there try to "buy their game" by constantly upgrading their clubs, even when they have a hard time breaking 90? My driver cost me $25, I got my woods at Goodwill for $6.99 apiece, I bought a clone putter, and my irons (Tommy Armour 845s) were given to me by a neighbor, yet I consistently manage to break 90, and on good days 80. I am not trying to say that I am a great golfer because I play with crappy equipment, just that some people should consider curing their shanks before going out a buying a $600 set of irons.

That's true. But sometimes the technical increases in clubs helps you play better. Many people fasely believe that this will make them drop 4-5 strokes.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

Then there are also people who earn well into 6 figures and $600 for irons really isn't much money at all. It all depends on where you are in life. If you are mortgaging your house to buy irons then your comment makes sense to me. However, if the money isn't an object does it really mean anything? I have a good friend who paid over $90,000 for an over and under shotgun. Does that make him a fool? If you have any idea what his portfolio looks like you would understand that this was just discretionary income for him. For me a couple grand in clubs isn't going to make or break me. Does this make me a fool for buying the equipment I want and that will hopefully help me play the game a little better in the process? Or are you suggestion that I should play with my 1972 blades until I get my handicap below 10 (tongue in cheek)?

Then there are also people who earn well into 6 figures and $600 for irons really isn't much money at all. It all depends on where you are in life. If you are mortgaging your house to buy irons then your comment makes sense to me. However, if the money isn't an object does it really mean anything? I have a good friend who paid over $90,000 for an over and under shotgun. Does that make him a fool? If you have any idea what his portfolio looks like you would understand that this was just discretionary income for him. For me a couple grand in clubs isn't going to make or break me. Does this make me a fool for buying the equipment I want and that will hopefully help me play the game a little better in the process? Or are you suggestion that I should play with my 1972 blades until I get my handicap below 10 (tongue in cheek)?

well said - totally agree with you, but I also think that you are not one of the people that whiplash is referring to

Also, while it can be marginal, I believe some people get a confidence boost when playing with newer and supposedly better equipment. I think I am unfortunately affected by this sometimes, it's just a mental block.
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

Also, while it can be marginal, I believe some people get a confidence boost when playing with newer and supposedly better equipment. I think I am unfortunately affected by this sometimes, it's just a mental block.

Thank you, that is pretty much what I was going to say. If I person can afford it & it either helps them or makes them feel better about their game...so what?

Does anybody notice how many golfers out there try to "buy their game" by constantly upgrading their clubs, even when they have a hard time breaking 90? My driver cost me $25, I got my woods at Goodwill for $6.99 apiece, I bought a clone putter, and my irons (Tommy Armour 845s) were given to me by a neighbor, yet I consistently manage to break 90, and on good days 80. I am not trying to say that I am a great golfer because I play with crappy equipment, just that some people should consider curing their shanks before going out a buying a $600 set of irons.

thanks for the lecture there. you also shouldn't assume things about people's disposable income. other people can easily spend a few grand on clubs and not bat an eye. just because you can't doesn't justify your didactic post.

In my Bag:

Nike Sasquatch Tour 9.5*, Diamana BlueBoard 83S
Mizuno F-50 15*
Mizuno F-50 18*TaylorMade Rescue TP 21*Mizuno MP60 4-PWMizuno MP-R 54.10Cleveland CG10 60.08Mizuno Bettinardi C-01

i don't think the OP meant that at rich people. He meant that at people who have serious flaws in thier game, and instead of doing what they should, which is buying lessons and spending more time at the range, they buy the latest Taylormade driver and expect it to fix thier game.

I think it is ridiculous when i see scrubs who can't break 100 with the latest and greatest equipment, its a waste and it also makes you come of as a prick. just my 2 cents

I didn't mean to come off as someone who is seriously bothered by people who play with the latest equipment. I agree that, if they have the money, they can buy whatever clubs they want. But it just seems to me that too many people invest too much in their clubs and not enough in their swing. If someone blades the ball 9 times out of 10, they have a problem with their swing that needs addressing, not a new set of irons.

i believe that some equipment doesnt fit some people... you may get a set of irons and cannot hit them, buy another set that you like better and youll be happy - I agree though that if your topping the ball or chunking the ball a new set wont help, but for some things a new club could help...

I had a tm driver that i could not hit for nothing - could not get the ball past 190 yards... went and bought a new driver, now im out at 225-250....and im hitting more fairways..

also my irons - I had a set of clevelands, every time i hit them id hook them, went and bought a set of mizunos, hit them side by side a the range, and it was a huge difference the mizunos were straight....

maybe its a mentalk thing -

as for the money aspect.. I guess it al depends on your financial abilty...

I personally do not pay full price on clubs, i buy everything used... only clubs i bought new were my putter and my burner hybrid....I think golf equipment is a very personal and mental thing.... I guess for some people its easier to throw many at the problem...

i do believe lessons are the best thing money can buy though.... I have been improving drastically every time i take a lesson... its also very motivating..

this is also all my own opinion and im sure there will be someone who disagrees with me....

The modern equipment can help improve your game, but the golfer is still 90 percent of the equation here. I've always said that Tiger Woods could go out there with persimmon clubs and a featherie and still shoot par, because of his skill. Fact of the matter is, modern clubs are more forgiving, it's harder to catch flyers out of the rough, and titanium drivers the size of mailboxes are sending the ball further than the persimmon cubs of old. Not to mention the sweet spot's bigger, which means more reliable contact. There's a reason why the majority of tour pros use the most modern stuff out there. It gives them the extra stroke or two saved that can mean the difference between a win and T-18, or making and missing a cut.

That said, 90 percent of the game is still the golfer. A 1963 blade can be shanked the same way as a super-forgiving modern iron. Bottom line: If you're over a 15 handicap or so, a lesson is probably a better investment than newer clubs. If you've got the fundamentals down, then investment in better clubs is the way to go.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Ya my friend is 15 and he tries to buy a better game too, hes still good but he thinks the clubs do all the work. Hes kinda stupid and He thinks that if he gets better irons he will definatly get better results
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

At the same time your "technology inspired"clubs can hurt you too, yesterday I was hitting the driver straight, or with a slight draw (my normal shot is a fade) and all my iron shots were big 20+yrd draws or hooks. When we got to some shorter par 4's and 3's and I adjusted my grip to only hit a slight draw my driver started going right. One of my playing partners (a scratch golfer) said try my irons. I hit them straight or with a slight draw, the driver was straight. He then informed me because I had GI irons, there was a fair amount of offset to help get the ball straight. While my driver has no offset. Guess it might be time for new irons.

my qualitative judgment of clubs is that:

they CAN improve your game by 5~10%, but

they WILL hurt your game infinitely depending on how ill-suited the clubs are for you

confidence is a huge factor when selecting your clubs, but yes... I agree with you on some levels.

I've seen a number of people step onto the first tee with a bag full of a single company, lets say Titleist is a pretty popular example for this story. They have all of their headcovers proudly displayed... some people just get a lot out of that. Sort of rings a bell with the tour and what not.

If you take a look at my bag I'm pretty guilty of this but I have (at least I think, hopefully) the game for my sticks. But I try to switch out the manufacturers headcovers and stick with some vintage knits or whatever because many times when I step on the first tee someone will look at my bag and say "who brought the ringer" or something stupid like that without even seeing a single swing. I know this sounds stupid but it's something that bothers me, especially the local munis where I play.

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

confidence is a huge factor when selecting your clubs.

Very true, I know guys who spend a lot of money on clubs, and the confidence factor alone lowers their scores. One thing I have noticed with "buying" lower scores: If your buddy has nice equipment and he beats you, it is because of the equipment. But if you have the nice equipment and you beat him, it was your skill that did it...
"There is no miracle tip. Fix your swing."

In the bag:
Sumo2 w/ Aldila VS Proto 60g S
Halo 2h Apex Pro 4-PW Vokey 2 52.08/56.10/60.04 Red X #3 34" Tour Deep

I am a beginner golfer, and I am pretty bad.

I am young, and sold my guitar so I could buy some clubs. I decided golf was something I really liked and I wanted to get into it, so I found some great deals on ebay, and saved myself a fortune.

I agree that it is the golfer, and not the golf clubs (for the most part anyways), but if you have the money, and you really want to get into the game, why not go out and get some good gear.
in the bag:
R580XD 10.5°
Rescue Dual 19°
Titleist 755 4-PW
Vokey Black Nickel 54.10° Vokey Oil Can 60.08° Circa 62 No. 2 Charcoal Mist

Note: This thread is 6121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!