IGNORED

My Swing (Lihu)

Lihu
Note: This thread is 1534 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Socks with sandals??? Get your eyes checked bud.

oh dear those were golf shoes LOL

My eyes were getting tired at the evening with my contact lenses on,

doc recommends not using contact lenses or glasses at short distances anyway... :8)

oh dear those were golf shoes LOL

My eyes were getting tired at the evening with my contact lenses on,

doc recommends not using contact lenses or glasses at short distances anyway...

You know, I have been thinking of getting golfing sandals. It gets pretty hot here, but I would not wear socks with them. :beer:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok. Hip turn looks good here. I would just check to make sure they are staying centered.

Will do, and thanks for the updates.

I'm going to take videos of Kaili tonight.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Working on the swing tonight. Flattened the shaft angle and am insuring the spinal pivot does not shift as much.

Will post more videos, sometime tonight if there is enough light to film. Just trying things out and it appears smoother to the 7i (have not tried the others yet).

In fact the entire motion feels smoother, but I need to commit it to muscle memory. My release timing has changed as well, so I need to work on the right swing speed.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Working on the swing tonight. Flattened the shaft angle and am insuring the spinal pivot does not shift as much. Will post more videos, sometime tonight if there is enough light to film. Just trying things out and it appears smoother to the 7i (have not tried the others yet). In fact the entire motion feels smoother, but I need to commit it to muscle memory. My release timing has changed as well, so I need to work on the right swing speed.

This helped the longer clubs too. Head movement is the key issue. I built a headband and attached it to my hitting cage frame. At first my head moved a lot, but after I got used to the headband and made an effort to keep my head still I was getting clean contact. I modified the headband with an elastic in the front to back motion to allow some forward tilt motion in it on the follow through. Going to use it from now on while hitting in my golf cage. Slowed down the apparent swing speed, but not sure if it slowed down the club head yet. No big deal even if I am even swinging 10% slower. I'd rather imy swing be more consistent, and have cleaner contact. Will play a round this evening to check my distances. Possibly longer if I recall my feeling a week ago. I think after my "40" round, I got a little too excited and started to try to swing faster. This headband fixture along with a swingbyte and swing speed radar should keep my swing speed more consistent during practice.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

What shaft flex do you use Lihu, in your driver. Asking because you realy use Xstiff hybrids, hot damn! :scared:

I was trying out some stiff shaft drivers today and I quite liked them to be honest! I was testing out some different drivers at a demo range with club manufacturers.

My problem was that I think I have "tennis elbow" problem with my hand and forearm. Gonna visit the doc in a couple of days. The pain is in my right hand and right forearm.

What shaft flex do you use Lihu, in your driver. Asking because you realy use Xstiff hybrids, hot damn! :scared: I was trying out some stiff shaft drivers today and I quite liked them to be honest! I was testing out some different drivers at a demo range with club manufacturers. My problem was that I think I have "tennis elbow" problem with my hand and forearm. Gonna visit the doc in a couple of days. The pain is in my right hand and right forearm.

My swing speed on the course is only about 95 to 98, not 105 as you were guessing earlier. It still gets me stock 250 yard drives. Of course, at practice it can be pretty fast because I am all warmed up. Kind of like at the gym, you can push more weight around when your body is all warmed up. The Xstiff on everything is only for the weight and stability, it helps keep things more "static" so I don't need to worry about the face angle when it snaps forward at impact. I am planning on getting fitted properly with graphite shafts when my swing is more or less developed where I need it. Hopefully soon.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Made the club flatter at the top. Setting up lower and straightened out the legs a bit at setup. It's a whole lot easier to swing, but if I'm not careful I can slice the heck out of the ball. 200 yard long 80 yard slices came off my club numerous times today. However, I have to admit the good shots were better. Took my old burner irons out. Every club feels hot compared to the MP52. If I were to use them, I would swap in my S300 shafts into them. Will post videos this weekend.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 3 weeks later...

Working hard on: centering my spine; keeping my head steady through the shot; palmer flex of the lead wrist. Just starting to make a breakthrough.

Thinking at this point that the MP-52 are good enough for me for now (I still can't really hit my 5i and 4i, but I am just starting to be able to hit my 6i better). It feels great getting a few shots out to the full distance this club was intended.

Will start going out on the course early in the mornings next week before going to work, and be ready for taking some swing videos and possibly course videos soon.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Videos to come this coming week or the following week.

Distances are getting more golf-like and are beginning to solidify on the course. Hope before the year is out that I can do this at least 95% of the time. Trying to reduce mishits (lost shot variety) to one in 20 right now I am at 1 in 20 on the driving range. I just want to eliminate the shanks.

Best guesses in yards based upon course distances.

Driver: 250-260 (230 to 235 carry), longest drives are close to 300

3W:    230-240 (210 carry), this can still vary if I don't get the right flight

19H:   200 (190 carry)

23H:   180-190 (175 carry)

All irons are MP-52 and 3 degrees flat, 1 degree more loft)

4i (24 degrees):  (~

5i (29 degrees):  (~

6i (32 degrees):  160-165 (160 carry), just starting to hit more reliably the actual carry varies from 155 to 160.

7i (36 degrees):  150-155 (150 carry)

8i (40 degrees):  140-145 (140 carry)

9i (44 degrees):  130-135 (130 carry)

PW (49 degrees):  120 (carry/total distance)

52 degree: full swing 110, normal wedge swing 90

60 degree: full swing 95, normal wedge swing 80

I feel like these distance should be able to get me into the single digits, but the rest of my game is not that consistent.

Of course, I could swing out of my shoes and two things will happen. First, I would not hit fairways and greens. Second, my coach will write bad comments on my swing thread. B-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 3 weeks later...
Videos to come this coming week or the following week.

Distances are getting more golf-like and are beginning to solidify on the course. Hope before the year is out that I can do this at least 95% of the time. Trying to reduce mishits (lost shot variety) to one in 20 right now I am at 1 in 20 on the driving range. I just want to eliminate the shanks.

Best guesses in yards based upon course distances.

Driver: 250-260 (230 to 235 carry), longest drives are close to 300

3W:    230-240 (210 carry), this can still vary if I don't get the right flight

19H:   200 (190 carry)

23H:   180-190 (175 carry)

All irons are MP-32 and 3 degrees flat, 1 degree more loft)

4i (24 degrees):  (180 carry), don't hit except off the tee

5i (29 degrees):  (170 carry), don't hit except off the tee

6i (32 degrees):  (160 carry), just starting to hit more reliably the actual carry varies from 155 to 160.

7i (36 degrees):  (150 carry)

8i (40 degrees):  (140 carry)

9i (44 degrees):  (130 carry)

PW (49 degrees):  120 (carry/total distance)

52 degree: full swing 110, normal wedge swing 90

60 degree: full swing 95, normal wedge swing 80

Modified for MP-32, almost the same. The MP-32 are slightly easier to hit, and a good hit feels really sweet.

I got fit, and found that I carry about 225 yards (3500 rpm) with a nice normal swing on the simulator. I hit farther than that on the driving range based upon laser measurements, but I feel that the range of values is about right.

As of the fitting, I made two modifications in hopes of getting my spin rate down, and AoA up. One is to make sure my upper torso maintains the same angle as at setup. The other is to make sure that my wrists are palmer (ed) correctly.

These are things I needed to do anyway, it's just that I have enough flexibility.

Going to film this week, as I think I finally made the necessary changes Mike was having me do.

It seems like I might have found the issue to my excessive spin, but I need to go back to the fitter to determine if this is the case.

"BTW, my 3000-4000 rpm still indicates that my AoA is still in the negative territory. I played around with a couple shots really trying to hit up, and did reduce the spin a little. The only good news us that my swing is consistent enough to clearly show changes in my setup. I am happy with my swing progression, but still have a long ways to go. He recommended that I try a more penetrating flight because my spin was so high, and the flight was nicer. He also thought that the roll would be much better, and the carry distance did not decrease with the more penetrating 15 degree flight. Basically, If I couldn't get rid of the spin, then just adjust the flight to use it as best as I can. He picked out a club to maximize the distance based upon this setup. We tried 4 different head and another 4 shaft combinations with the head both of us liked.

In the afternoon, I went to the range with my kids. I changed my setup to try to reduce the spin. So, I teed up almost 3.5", and think that I finally hit up on the ball. I need to place the ball just at the apex of my shoulder, which is about half a foot width past my lead foot. Seems like my swing speed improved too with this setup, because I felt less resistance in movement swinging past the ball. I feel like I'm moving faster through the ball. Once again "feel is not real", so more monitor work is needed. I could not actually see where the balls were landing. The range was setup 30-40 yards past the line so the back fence was only 200 to 210 yards away. Even 220 yard carry goes near the top or over the fence. I plan to go back to the same fitting center once I get more comfortable with this setup position to see if I can get down to 2000 rpm with a decent "swing speed". I will also ask for the GC2 with the SS attachment to see if my swing speed really did improve or not over my Trakman readings done a couple months ago."

I read that Tom Wishon once said that the only way for someone to have a + AoA is to maintain the spine angle throughout the swing. I tried this, and the balls seemed to go with a lot less effort and the ball seemed to go "straighter"

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I read that Tom Wishon once said that the only way for someone to have a + AoA is to maintain the spine angle throughout the swing. I tried this, and the balls seemed to go with a lot less effort and the ball seemed to go "straighter"

Can you let us know how did you try this?

Take a look at the below video as Dave talks about the idea of "Spine angle" vs. "Inclination to the ground"

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I can't speak for Tom Wishon, but from what I understand, positive AoA has to do with secondary axis tilt. Basically, if you get your weight forward properly, with secondary axis tilt, you shallow out your arc (which is really a good thing for all clubs, anyway). Tee up the ball forward of the low point of your swing and voila! positive AoA.

Here's a video on secondary axis tilt:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abu3baid

I can't speak for Tom Wishon, but from what I understand, positive AoA has to do with secondary axis tilt. Basically, if you get your weight forward properly, with secondary axis tilt, you shallow out your arc (which is really a good thing for all clubs, anyway). Tee up the ball forward of the low point of your swing and voila! positive AoA.

Thanks for that Bill.. I was asking @Lihu because it just seemed to me like he is trying a whole bunch of different things and then mentioned the statement of Tom Wishon and "maintaining the spine angle", he then said that he tried that.. i.e. tried "maintaining the spine angle" and he was successful in doing so..  Thus, my question of "How did you try that?  i.e. maintaining the spine angle and I attached the video that no one really maintains their spine angle because if they did they would sway like crazy back and through, but rather their inclination to the ground as explained by Dave in the video.

That is a good video you attached though, I have seen it before and it has a lot of information..

BTW.. none of this is applicable to me, as it is not a priority piece for me "yet"

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

So, I think the issue was that my spine angle inclination was not maintained, which caused my club to be too steep at the top and on the way down.

I had already been attempting to palmer flex the wrist, but there was a natural turn in my wrist at the top. Until, I angled my spine more with my swing, I could not get rid of this twist in the wrist. Once I tilted my spine more and maintained that angle through the entire swing, my wrist "untwisted".

Thanks for that Bill.. I was asking @Lihu because it just seemed to me like he is trying a whole bunch of different things and then mentioned the statement of Tom Wishon and "maintaining the spine angle", he then said that he tried that.. i.e. tried "maintaining the spine angle" and he was successful in doing so..  Thus, my question of "How did you try that?  i.e. maintaining the spine angle and I attached the video that no one really maintains their spine angle because if they did they would sway like crazy back and through, but rather their inclination to the ground as explained by Dave in the video.

That is a good video you attached though, I have seen it before and it has a lot of information..

BTW.. none of this is applicable to me, as it is not a priority piece for me "yet"

No, I was not trying random things. I was working on my priority piece, but needed to understand it better. So, I looked at every article written on the topic. Some of the theories are really outrageous, but this one seemed to make some sense.

Immediately after reading this, I went back to my priority piece and realized that the "good" swing I made at my last lesson encompassed these "requirements". Thus, I concluded that I needed more keys to get the drives I wanted.

Incidentally, I am on the section in LSW that describes "speed kills". This is why my focus is so much on driver and nothing else, really. I am reading the book at the pace that my ability is able to produce. I read more and I get better. Amazing, huh?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Great! I wish continued success!

Focusing on one sentence of the book at a time. Golf is hard and apparently needs digesting at that it's own pace.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Could be a Key 1 or 2 issue, depending on what the player need to focus on. Not something you need to worry about, you don't early extend, if anything you tend to slightly do the opposite.

Thanks, I'm definitely focused on my priorities, now that I am beginning to understand them better.

I think that's exactly what the fitter said, actually, fitters from two different places. They both said that I tend to not "Let go" or that I "Hold back my release"? Is this what they mean?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1534 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!