• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
Mcbain

How do you get more spin on a driver

Mcbain    0

2 Questions - According to the charts, with my 130mph ball speed, my launch angle is where the chart says it should be but my spin is 2400 rpms, 900-1000 less rpm spin than the chart says is the "optimum".  Question 1) How can I keep the same launch angle and add spin? I currently play an 8.5 degree Taylormade 580 with and Aldila stiff nv shaft.  So I already have a firmer tip, lower launch shaft and clubface, and I play a pro-v ball (although I was not hitting pro-vs at the place where I had this stuff measured).  My concern is if I add loft to the face or get a regular flex or softer tip shaft to add spin, my launch angle will be too high.  Question 2) If I can't work it out to the optimum, am I better off going with the optimum launch and less spin or would I be better off increasing my launch and adding spin?

Stretch    392

You will most likely be better off with more loft. Very few 130 mph players are going to be best fit into an 8.5 degree driver.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mr. Desmond    371

You need about 12-13 of loft for more spin, and you need to fix that swing.

If you're already launching at 17-18 degrees with 8.5 of loft, you've got swing issues. They may be easily fixed.

Get more carry.

1. Fix what ails you - it may be as simple as your lead wrist breaking down towards impact (flipping) - think flat lead wrist at impact.

2. Get more loft

3. Get more loft

Mr. Desmond    371
Is loft 12* good for old guys?

Generally, yes, if your driver swing speed is low 90's or below in today's high launch, low spin drivers.

And in some drivers, even a high loft is not enough, and I've been told it's best to avoid the driver, as in the SLDR.

mvmac    1,761

And in some drivers, even a high loft is not enough, and I've been told it's best to avoid the driver, as in the SLDR.

Yeah the CG being closer to the face will tend to make it launch lower.

I agree having more loft is typically a good idea when you have a slower swing speed.  Also essential to have a positive angle of attack, of course that's another thread

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

Talamore Golf Resort
    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    Mission Belt
    Snell Golf
    Frogger Golf
    PitchFix USA
    • Revealing thread, there are varying "definitions" of what's mental and what's physical. I would have called game planning, green reading and just practicing effectively mental, along with just maintaining composure/managing pressure/stress. What's the essential difference between someone who just mindlessly bashes ball after ball at the range vs someone who practices with purpose? "The way I look at it in golf is that the mental game is a mechanism for fulfilling physical potential. Physical potential being a function of natural ability and effort put in through practice, instruction, conditioning, etc. Physical potential won’t automatically be transferred to the golf course in the form of performance. That is where a strong mental game steps in and allows the body to perform the tasks it has already been trained to do. In other words, the mental game bridges physical potential and physical performance. When faced with consequence on the golf course, the physical motion the body already knows how to perform can be hindered by doubt, fear, and anxiety. Our mind and body know how to physically execute the shot, and the mental game is required to protect that ability by warding off the potential doubt, fear or anxiety."
    • Today I came across to this video and just wanted to share it with you guys Her swing looks great! 
    • Welcome! I myself just found this place recently and have enjoyed my time here a lot. What a great place to be for golfers!
    • I would say it's more physical than mental. Though the latter definitely is a part of it. I've seen many times golfers getting too much in their mind and playing horrible. Of course you still need to learn how to swing properly, just mental strength definitely isn't enough to play well. 
    • It's weird, I'm really starting to doubt my own perception of things. i think every golfer in my group can swing differently (and slightly more often worse) under pressure. Amongst the 16-20 of us (and i think it's relevant we all have collegiate athletic experience and all within 4 years of age), these type of things seem prevalent to me: - 2 footers for $100 don't drop as often as 2 footers for nothing.
      - hard-6 vs easy-5 skews more towards the hard-6 during pressure holes/rounds
      - there are both more birdies as well more bogey+'s and penalties on "big" days vs a weekend outing (and we play stroke play only)
      - and i actually believe all of us, "generally" score worse on "big" days (say looking over at least a year period).  Me for example, I generally play well on "big" days, but my worst rounds of the last 10 years I know for a fact also correlates to "big" rounds, even if it doesn't happen very often. And for certain guys, it consistently works out bad for them, and vice versa.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. CoachB25
      CoachB25
      (60 years old)
    2. Fsgolfer
      Fsgolfer
      (61 years old)
    3. Zach
      Zach
      (27 years old)