• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joekelly

Sergio on the cusp, new girl on bag.

15 posts in this topic

Sergio is 4 strokes up going into the final day in Thailand on the Asian Tour. He had a hole-in-one Friday, 236 yards by playing off the steeply sloped green and he but could only hear the crowd roar as the ball rolled a long twisty route into the cup. Oh, btw, Sergio's girl friend Katharina Boehm is on the bag.  Here is her photo. She plays/ed on the College of Charleston golf team.

HOT. In Thailand, always.

Apparently his GF does wonders for his game. Now if he could keep the F bombs down to a whisper so the kids watching the tourney don't hear that shit... :-D

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sergio wins T'land Golf Open at -22. Stenson in 2nd place.

Can someone explain why Sergio shot a 65 in the first round but was given a 68?

Sergio is 4 strokes up going into the final day in Thailand on the Asian Tour. He had a hole-in-one Friday, 236 yards by playing off the steeply sloped green and he but could only hear the crowd roar as the ball rolled a long twisty route into the cup. Oh, btw, Sergio's girl friend Katharina Boehm is on the bag.  Here is her photo. She plays/ed on the College of Charleston golf team.

HOT. In Thailand, always.

Nice shorts!

How valuable is an experienced caddie if Sergio can win with his girlfriend on the bag?

It's a decent question, however you must take into account the girl is a collegiate golfer. She may have a ton of golf knowledge and you never know...she may be more intelligent than Sergio or his other caddie.

I'd like to know if Sergio plans on keeping her on the bag. Might as well?

Nobody needs a professional caddy, and for that matter no-one needs a swing "guru". Lee Trevino, Sam Snead, Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson never had a swing coach and they weren't bad. Indedd Trevino said he'd listen to a swing guru if he could find one who could beat him-----there were no takers!

The majority of PGA pro's probably depend more on their caddies for camaraderie and club selection banter than golf advice.  I don't believe the same is true for the LPGA where the caddies seem integral to their golf decisions, especially putting.

None of you is asking the question that begs to be asked.

Did she get her cut? 5%, 10%, whatever it is. :-P

None of you is asking the question that begs to be asked.

Did she get her cut? 5%, 10%, whatever it is.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

Off topic but I would love to see a tournament where no caddies are used and the pros have to carry or push their own bags.

They would be allowed to use a laser or GPS device.

In other words as close to one of our rounds as they will ever be.

I am pretty sure they will score similar to their regular tournament rounds with a caddy.

I for one enjoyed watching the coverage more. She was obviously really cute and he was the frontrunner so the cameras were on them. Even in a bib and hat it was enjoyable...definitely better than the alternative...by which I mean a dude.

It's a decent question, however you must take into account the girl is a collegiate golfer. She may have a ton of golf knowledge and you never know...she may be more intelligent than Sergio or his other caddie.

I'd like to know if Sergio plans on keeping her on the bag. Might as well?

In the interview he did, he was asked about keeping her on the bag. His answer was no, she will not be his caddie next year. It will be interesting to see if his attitude changes w/o her around.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Popular Now

•   On one hand, you say you have trouble with lag putts, then you say you're not a poor putter.  And someone has told you that you're decelerating.  My suggestion, a FEELING of acceleration might help you get more putts to the hole, especially the long ones.
    • I first met with and talked about golf with Dean Snell when he was the main man at TaylorMade's moderately lavish TP Red/Black launch event the weekend before the 2006 Masters at Reynolds Plantation (coverage here, here, here, here, and elsewhere on the The Sand Trap .com). Dean had been snagged by TaylorMade after helping Titleist introduce the Pro V1/V1x to the golf world. A little while ago, we solicited questions from you, the members and readers of The Sand Trap .com, and what follows are Dean's responses to the first chunk of those questions. You'll notice that we jump right in to the Q&A. If you'd like to read more about Dean Snell, you can do so here. If you'd like to check out Snell's golf balls, they're right here. And of course, everything else is available at http://snellgolf.com/. One last note: Dean broke up a few of the questions so that he could more clearly answer pieces of them the way he wanted. Aside from editing for spelling/grammar, we've left these changes as is. Now, right into the Q&A… Technology Questions 1) How big of a difference is there between premium golf balls? DEAN: The biggest difference today between premium tour balls is the short game spin and control. Typically, when spin is controlled with mid and short irons, you can prevent the ballooning and problems in the wind… and when you get closer to the green, the thinner urethane covers allow for more short game spin and control. 2) Reducing SKUs seems wise but what percentage of golfers do you think you cover with only two models? Bridgestone has four B330 models but you have just one urethane ball. DEAN: I think two to three models is sufficient for entire market. The tour level players can really tell the difference in performance from one ball to another. some like more, some less spin… some firmer, some softer feel… so maybe two balls at tour level. As for the general public, I think if they choose to play a low compression, low spin ball, then the difference is so small that adding more for them is not worth it… also, when some companies talk about swing speed, I do not think this is worth having 3 SKU to fool consumers into thinking they need this in their game. 3) Bridgestone (and I think Callaway) has come out with tour caliber balls for players who swing under 105mph. Is it possible to design a tour caliber ball for a specific segment of swing speed or is this just mostly a marketing thing? DEAN: The whole swing speed story to me is one of the most over-rated stories in golf. Companies force or teach golfers to play low compression balls so their low swing speed can compress the ball. The problem with this is that low compression balls have the lowest spin in all shots, so they are pushing players to play a ball with no performance at all… and when you need that spin around the green, it's not there… 4) Since the four piece urerthane seems so hot in the ball industry right now, is there any chance that Snell will come out with a four-piece ball? DEAN: Stay tuned… I am working on several types of protos to address performance. I think when there is a performance target, then we adjust to the layers and materials to meet that target… so layers to help in meeting these targets… let it develop… ha ha… 5) How much diminishing returns are there on the number of layers? DEAN: Every time you add a layer, you add cost and some level of new performance. When I did penta (5 layers) it was to address concerns with the tour players on certain shots that they were seeing. So I always recommend that players do 100 yard and in testing, and see what they like in the ball… choose the ball from the short game testing, as this is where they are different. 6) From your perspective, will you follow the market trend and produce a soft golf ball? DEAN: The GET SUM is very low compression, very soft feeling golf ball. The issue in tour balls going too soft is you lose the feel of hitting good solid shots… players think soft means more spin at that level, so we have to balance this in design. 7) And would you describe why the market is "Hot with Soft or Softer" golf balls? DEAN: The soft golf ball market has taken off due to the lower spinning balls means players can be longer in distance. Today, softer balls means lower spinning, whereas in the past tour balls were higher spinning if softer… 8) Given what we now know about the relative importance of the full swing (driving, approach shots) and the short game and putting, does the old concept of fitting yourself for a golf ball by starting at the green and working backward still apply? DEAN: Absolutely… you should really spend a lot of time from 100 yards and in when testing different golf balls. This is where they are different, and where you would be able to see performance differences. If you test here and cannot tell, then buy the cheapest one. 9) Or should more importance be given to how the ball performs off the driver and irons, which are now understood to be the true scoring clubs? DEAN: No chance. Fitting a ball with a driver is a big mistake… you hit one drive, but you have to finish the hole, and play most of your golf around the greens, so choose a ball around the green, not off the tee. They will all go about the same difference off the tee today. 10) Is electronic technology embedded within the golf ball ever going to happen? For instance are we likely to see trackers or sensors anytime soon? I have tested this concept several years ago. Problem is that it is illegal to the rules of golf. The USGA will not allow, as you would have an advantage over someone else who did not have it. The other problem is that it was super expensive — over $4 per ball to have technology put into the ball — so it added $48 per doz, plus you had to buy the controller to find it… it does not really speed up play unless everyone on the course has it… which will be tough to implement. We look forward to bringing you the additional parts of this Q&A in the coming weeks. Thank you to Dean Snell for taking the time to answer these and the other questions still pending. Again, if you're looking to pay less AND get the best ball on the market today, https://snellgolf.com/.
    • I'm all for ready golf, but I think it's rude for everyone to hole out before you've made it to the green. That's just me though. 
    • Exactly. Unfortunately, we had a ringside seat to just such a thing yesterday.  The group ahead of us had finally made it to the green on 3.  One was in a green side bunker, while the others were on the green itself.  I asked my buddy, blade or chunk, as we watched from 60 yards out.  He said he'd leave it in the bunker.  I won.  Hard blade 30 yards over the green.  The remainder of the group WAITED while he raked the bunker and then walked completely across the green and proceeded to chip all the way back, almost dumping it in the same bunker again.  Again, Larry, Moe, and Curly wait for Bunker Boy to meander back and play his shot before playing theirs.  After all, he was away...   3 more swings and he was finally in the hole.  Total elapsed time that group took from when they reached the green, nearly 15 minutes!   We caught them on the next tee box in time to watch two of them knock it into the junk short of the fairway.  When it became obvious that they had no intention of acknowledging us, we politely asked if we could play through while they searched for their balls, and thankfully they agreed.   3 hours later, as we were teeing off on 18, we saw them driving up to the tee box on 12.  Not good golfers, true, but more than anything, they simply didn't move with any sense of purpose, or efficiency.  If we'd have had to play behind them much longer, I would have cut my own throat with my wedge!  
    • I love watching those shows on the golf channel.  Especially Michael Breed.   But, ultimately, it's not really personalized instruction, so you don't really get too much instruction from it.   Maybe a swing thought idea here and there, and some short game drills to work on.  As a matter of fact, I think a long while ago, I learned how to hit out of the sand from the golf channel.  That is still, to this day, the one skill I gain strokes on all of my friends at.   (unfortunately, I imagine bunker shots are like a SV (-8), given that I have like 1 per round.  tops.) But, it's still quite enjoyable nonetheless.   It's always fun to listen to people talk about the golf swing.  If your'e in to that kinda thing.  
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Isaac03
      Isaac03
      (33 years old)
    2. phillyk
      phillyk
      (27 years old)
    3. PhishAreFriends
      PhishAreFriends
      (27 years old)