IGNORED

Course apparel

Note: This thread is 3752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has there been a change in the " appropriate" course attaire? When I started golfing (which wasn't long ago) I was told and was expected to wear appropriate attire (collored shirt, kakis/slacks) and look professional. When I go to the local club, muni course, or even the course on post jeans tee shirts ect seen to be more then acceptable. Am I just behind the times?

Even most muni's will call you on wearing a t-shirt. Collared shirts are still the way to go. SOME will balk at denim cutoffs, but WILL allow denim jeans. Private clubs generally don't allow jeans. But if your local is having financial issues, they want people to play... whatever they might be wearing... to a point. If you have a weekend men's (or ladies) club, they might have their own codes.

I always wear a collar shirt.  Spring/Summer/Fall, generally where neat shorts (not cutoffs or cargo shorts).  In winter, long pants with a collar shirt.  I still believe that golf is a "gentleman's game" even though many do not act like or dress like a gentleman much anymore....

Roy

I think 99.9% will balk at tank tops, cut off shorts would be the next item to be frowned on, after that it's sort of up to the facility, I would think any shirts with anything printed that may be offensive, tie dye I think most places would frown on unless it's done in good taste.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

As others have said, you'll find that dress codes vary from course to course.  The vast majority of the courses I play dictate something along the lines of "proper golf attire", which is generally defined as no denim, non-cargo type shorts, and a collared shirt.  There are courses with more relaxed dress codes and some with virtually none at all.  As a general rule, public play and especially muni courses have the more relaxed dress codes, while more upscale resort, semi-private, and private courses tend to be more restrictive.  I really don't think I've noticed much of a change over the last 20 years though.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"Tie Dye" and "good taste".... hmmmm- not sure there is ANY time they can be used together.

Yeah a bit of a stretch I know. Though my daughter has a skirt that's called "skorts" apparently a skirt with shorts sewn inside them that looks nice with a matching top and I don't think a course will have much of a problem with and of course being 10 years old helps also. ;-)

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Yeah a bit of a stretch I know. Though my daughter has a skirt that's called "skorts" apparently a skirt with shorts sewn inside them that looks nice with a matching top and I don't think a course will have much of a problem with and of course being 10 years old helps also.;-)

I don't think that's a stretch, even LPGA players wear skorts. I'm more talking about jeans and tee with a backwards hat. That kinnda thing. The little time I've been playing I'm seeing more and more of it.

My local muni here in L.A. is abound with people wearing t-shirts and backwards caps. They always allowed shorts, but wanted collard shirts back in the 80's/90's..Now with the economy the way it is, money rules. I can hardly blame them, heck the range doesn't even have tee's anymore cuz people were stealing them.. :pound:

I've heard money mentioned a few time through the thread as to the reasoning behind some of the relaxing standards.  Couldn't it also be because of the changing culture.  Back in the 80/90's it was rare to see anyone with tattoo's. I just say a guy last weekend on the course with tattoo's from his neck all the way down to his ankles. If this continues where will be in 10/15/20 years from now.  Out on the course naked swimming through the water hazards? :beer:

I've heard money mentioned a few time through the thread as to the reasoning behind some of the relaxing standards.  Couldn't it also be because of the changing culture.  Back in the 80/90's it was rare to see anyone with tattoo's. I just say a guy last weekend on the course with tattoo's from his neck all the way down to his ankles. If this continues where will be in 10/15/20 years from now.  Out on the course naked swimming through the water hazards? :beer:

Not in Florida... Don't need to add any "Dangling Fruit" for the Alligators or snapping turtles. As for the money aspect. I would think that it goes with the territory. A local muni struggling to keep it's head above water would have the least stringent codes. One doing a bit better would enforce the "cutoff jeans" thing and tank tops, t-shirt might be okay A public course would have it's regs like collared shirts only, etc. Private courses would have the most restrictive rules- no denim jeans, cargo shorts, etc... One course in FL that I play all the time when I visit called me on one of those "mock" turtle neck short sleeved shirts that Tiger and Duval were wearing at the time (moisture wicking hi-tech stuff). The desk guy called it a t-shirt, I said, no, it's a golf shirt. "Well, if 'so-and-so" at the starter box says it's okay, you're good. (I had a normal shirt in the car, just in case) I went down there and 'so-and-so' never even mentioned it and sent me on my way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Courses do vary with dress code and interpretation of their own dress code.  Played at Ocean Reef Resort in South Florida.  Had a mock turtle neck (like mentioned above) that had a golf club logo on the sleeve.  Was told I could not wear it.  Choice was to change into something with a collar on it or I could by one of their shirts, with a collar, to meet the requirement of a collared shirt.  They do not view anything as a golf shirt unless it has a collar on it.  The guy at the Pro Shop where you check in and pay said nothing to me.  When I got to the starter, he told me.  Kind of puts a kink in your plans.  Had the guy at the check in desk said something it would have been much easier to go and change.....Also, no cargo pants....definition of cargo pants/shorts is anything that has "pockets" on the leg.  Anything other than standard "slit" pockets just below the belt line are not acceptable.

Roy

I've noticed at some courses, they simply say "Proper Attire Required" which seems to translate to no jeans and respectable shirts (either collared or mock neck). Others will say "Collared Shirts Required", which seems to only take out the mock option.

I've played at courses on both ends of the spectrum. At a muni in San Antonio, I saw lots of people with tanks, jeans, cutoffs, etc. I guess revenue is revenue. On the other end, I played a country club in North Carolina that wouldn't allow tennis shoes on the course. They also wouldn't allow you to wear golf shoes, hats, or sweaty shirts in the clubhouse. Everyone was expected to shower and change before coming out of the locker room after a round. Also, no cell phones in the clubhouse.

Tyler Martin

Note: This thread is 3752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!