IGNORED

Short Game and Iron Help

GolfGuy123
Note: This thread is 3748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well a chunk and top is basically the same problem, combination of not having keys 1 - 3. Basically if your head moves you have to adjust the clubhead with your hands. If your weight isn't forward at impact, you'll flip at the ball to not chunk it. Both of those things cause the lack of having a flat wrist at impact.

Basically what that means is, you can't deliver the clubhead to the ball consistently. Same with chips. If the weight is 50/50, in such a short shot, then its tough to make a proper strike with out the ball being back in the stance. This causes a steeper angle of attack bringing in the leading edge, making it tougher to achieve good clean contact (the club can dig in the ground more).

Usually when a person gets in the habit of chunking or duffing chips or pitches they don't want to do it. So they will lift up and hit those thin shots. Then they wont want to do that, and they will hit chunks.

Its gets to be a vicious cycle.

so with chips, weight should or should not be 50/50 with ball back in stance? thanks

so with chips, weight should or should not be 50/50 with ball back in stance? thanks

Should be forward on chip shots and pitches, just like full shots.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yep, and weight should be primarily on the front foot. Sometimes when I chip I will bank my right foot to the inside, so there is barely any weight on it. You want to really pivot (rotate) around that front knee. The arms kinda just rock through the hitting area.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yep, and weight should be primarily on the front foot. Sometimes when I chip I will bank my right foot to the inside, so there is barely any weight on it. You want to really pivot (rotate) around that front knee. The arms kinda just rock through the hitting area.

Thanks guys...and as far as ball position? varies depending on what you are trying to do? (low / higher)?

Thanks guys...and as far as ball position? varies depending on what you are trying to do? (low / higher)?

Also depends on the lie, i.e. deeper rough, back in your stance.

so glad you brought this up - when you say deeper rough, would you also classify that as a fluffy lie? often times when my ball is sitting up high in alot of grass and I go to pitch or chip...I will literally go right under it! its almost as demoralizing as a shank...I think when this has happened I am playing ball in middle of stance....should it be back in those situations?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer 4

so glad you brought this up - when you say deeper rough, would you also classify that as a fluffy lie? often times when my ball is sitting up high in alot of grass and I go to pitch or chip...I will literally go right under it! its almost as demoralizing as a shank...I think when this has happened I am playing ball in middle of stance....should it be back in those situations?

I prefer to have the ball towards the middle of my stance for all pitch and chip shots. But then again, my feet are typically no more than about six inches apart and opened a decent amount (probably 30* or so) on a pitch shot, so "middle" and "back" of my stance is pretty relative.

Tyler Martin

If I have a "fluffy" lie, I'd play the ball where I normally would,,in the middle of my stance. But everyone is different, so you may want to experiment. Also, I would watch as many vid's of chipping, and pitching as I could find, the pros make it looks sooooo easy.

May not be of any help to you but what I found helped my pitch and chip shots was really committing to the shot.  I was decelerating a lot as I made contact which caused chunking, topping or blading the ball.  When I commit to my shot I make good contact and the results are much better than when I decelerate.

Again, probably not the issue for you but thought I'd share – one hacker to another :)

"Golf is a game in which you yell 'fore', shoot six and write down five." - Paul Harvey

Anywere from middle of the stance to off the big toe of the lead foot. Yes I have hit shots with it that far forward.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/39411/quickie-pitching-video

check out that thread, be enlightened :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!