IGNORED

Does moderate drinking help loosen up your muscle to play better golf?

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3715 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've never bought a drink while playing but I've had others in the group buy a round a couple times and it seemed to make me play worse each time.  I don't drink much anyway and am normally very relaxed while playing so all it did was make it hard for me to focus when hitting the ball (bad) and then not really care if I hit a bad shot (double bad).

Here's a little heads up from a stranger on the internet: It's your turn to buy a round dude...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's a little heads up from a stranger on the internet: It's your turn to buy a round dude...

:beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I see a lot of folks drinking and playing golf.   Does anyone find drinking helpful in relaxing one's muscle and help play better?

I used to caddie for a gentleman who would have me put a six pack in his bag at the turn. By the time we got to 14, he would often call the halfway house to send another six pack out to his group. By the time we got to the 18th green, his back nine score would be just as bad as his front nine, but at this point, it didn't seem to bother him at all.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Less about loosening the swing and more about freeing the brain.

Makes sense ... don't know if that's good or not.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I'll only hit the 3 wood off the tee when drinking. I don't drink and drive. ;)

I got my first (only) ace on the 7th hole. :dance:

Stopped in at the turn and had a shot of bourbon. :beer:

I double-bogeyed the 10th. :censored:

Lesson learned. :smartass:

I drink during league...But thats probably why my league scores suck. I sometimes play with a guy that drinks at least 12 or 15 during a round. Thing is, he shoots par or better when drinking. If he doesn't drink he's terrible..go figure.

By a couple times I meant one drink during 2 entirely different rounds.  If it sounded like I sat there mooching drinks from people, that's not at all what happened.

Anyway, I decline these offers because like I said I'm not much of a drinker and I always bring a giant water bottle for myself so I'm rarely thirsty.  For whatever reason these two times out the people in the group insisted and rather than sit there and argue about it like a knob I simply accepted the gesture.

I don't anticipate buying rounds of drinks on a golf course ever actually.  If that makes me a douche I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Moderate drinking helps me enjoy a round when it is obvious that the wheels have fallen off my game.  That said, I have found that a tab of Tramadol 50 before the round makes a good 5-10 strokes difference in my score (for the better).  It diminishes the pain significantly (if you are a geezer).

By a couple times I meant one drink during 2 entirely different rounds.  If it sounded like I sat there mooching drinks from people, that's not at all what happened.

Anyway, I decline these offers because like I said I'm not much of a drinker and I always bring a giant water bottle for myself so I'm rarely thirsty.  For whatever reason these two times out the people in the group insisted and rather than sit there and argue about it like a knob I simply accepted the gesture.

I don't anticipate buying rounds of drinks on a golf course ever actually.  If that makes me a douche I guess I'll just have to live with it.

If you have no intention of buying a reciprocal drink at some point then yes you are a douche bag. You should respectfully decline it sounds like it only hurts your game anyway.

When I first started playing golf about 13 years ago I used to have a couple of beers during the round. It just seemed to relax me and let me not anguish over my bad shots. As I got better I stopped. I am not sure if having two beers hurts your swing but I just don't feel the need to have them.

I will say last summer we got caught in  an intolerable long round of 5 plus hours. One  of the guys suggested we flag down the cart girl  around the 13th hole. We had her return a few more times before we finished. In that situation it made the round seem a lot shorter.

"I didn't quit drinking. I only quit buying." Hahaha! :beer:

Complete BS.........................

Will a brain surgeon perform better with a buzz?   I think not...........

I hope you are not suggesting that drinking should be forbidden form golf courses. I assume you are just weighing in on the effects of alcohol on the swing.

As I have said I don't personally drink while playing anymore (with exception of 5-6 hour rounds). I have no problem with other people drinking while I am playing.

I have only seen a few guys that would be considered out of control.

If you make drinking strictly forbidden on courses you will see a lot of courses go out of business.

Lots of guys and girls look forward to heading out on the course on the weekend to relax kick back and have a fun round of golf with friends. This includes for many having a few drinks during the round.

Note: This thread is 3715 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!