IGNORED

Replacing a ball from a water filled bunker....

Na5carr3
Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hit my drive. It went into a fairway bunker. We get to the spot to find the bunker is slam full of water to the brim. Only a inch or two of sand can be seen around the edges. Where is a replacement ball to be placed/dropped without penalty?

This turned out to be a real argument in the group I was with. Can anyone help?

Driver      -  K15 10.5 w/ Ping TFC149D Shaft in stiff

4 Wood   -  Rapture V2 17.5* Aldila S-75

Hybrid    -   Super Hybrid SS 19* w/ Matrix Program

Irons      -   i20's 3-W, UW, SW & LW w/ KBS Tour Stiff +1/2" White Dot

Putter    -   White Ice #9 33"

Ball       -   B330-S & B330-RXS

D2 Feel

Bragging about a 200 yard 7 iron is not golf.

Under decision 25-1b/8, you can:

1) Drop it where the water is shallowest anywhere not nearer the hole but still in the bunker and play it from the water

2) Take a penalty stroke and drop it behind the bunker

3) Declare it unplayable and proceed under rule 28

https://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-25/#d25-1b-8

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

mdl is correct, sucks, doesn't it. :censored:

I guess it had been raining a lot.  Was this a casual round?  You guys must have been playing for a lot of money.

If it was a friendly round and your ball was in the bunker, I would have said: "We're the committee and we are going to do this:

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-33/#d33-8-27 "

Regards,

John

mdl is correct, sucks, doesn't it.  :censored: I guess it had been raining a lot.  Was this a casual round?  You guys must have been playing for a lot of money. If it was a friendly round and your ball was in the bunker, I would have said: "We're the committee and we are going to do this: [URL=http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-33/#d33-8-27]http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-33/#d33-8-27[/URL]  "

Yep, me too! :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Under decision 25-1b/8, you can:

1) Drop it where the water is shallowest anywhere not nearer the hole but still in the bunker and play it from the water

2) Take a penalty stroke and drop it behind the bunker

3) Declare it unplayable and proceed under rule 28

https://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-25/#d25-1b-8

Just to add to this, if you choose to drop 'behind the bunker", you drop on a line from the hole through where your ball lies as far back as you like.  If you can't retrieve your ball easily, you can substitute another ball.

Hit my drive. It went into a fairway bunker. We get to the spot to find the bunker is slam full of water to the brim. Only a inch or two of sand can be seen around the edges. Where is a replacement ball to be placed/dropped without penalty?

This turned out to be a real argument in the group I was with. Can anyone help?

If this was a tournament, did you check that the committee had not already made a local rule declaring the bunker to be GUR?

Not a tournament. Yes, money was involved. One player was trying to deem USGA Tournament Play, thus play it in the bunker in the shallowest water but was outvoted by the other two and let me replace the ball on the outside edge of the bunker furthest from the hole without penalty given the fact the ruling was not established before play began. They were all really pissed when I won the hole with a poley par. Couldn't get the sandy as I really didn't play from "real" sand.

Driver      -  K15 10.5 w/ Ping TFC149D Shaft in stiff

4 Wood   -  Rapture V2 17.5* Aldila S-75

Hybrid    -   Super Hybrid SS 19* w/ Matrix Program

Irons      -   i20's 3-W, UW, SW & LW w/ KBS Tour Stiff +1/2" White Dot

Putter    -   White Ice #9 33"

Ball       -   B330-S & B330-RXS

D2 Feel

Bragging about a 200 yard 7 iron is not golf.

Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!