IGNORED

I think I can become a scratch golfer after 1 year of playing

GITrDONE
Note: This thread is 5875 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have to say 0%, I haven't heard of any pro's getting to scratch in their first year of golf, could be very wrong here though.

However, I don't believe in not trying to realise your dreams.

So why don't you set yourself smaller short term goals. I.e obtain a recognised handicap, then try and play consistently to it. Then work from there setting short term goals every month and reviewing them. You will have more of a chance to get to your goal.

I think if you trained really hard every day, depending on ability you could become a single digit handicap in a year, but the difference between that and a scratch is massive. You can train to be a club pro (in England, not sure if it applies in America) after you reach a 3 handicap and these guys have got talent and have practiced all their lives.

Good luck anyway, keep a thread or something to let us know how you are doing!!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i started golf a year ago and im a 5.8 handicap....once you get your handicap under 8 it gets harder and harder to shave strokes

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

i started golf a year ago and im a 5.8 handicap....once you get your handicap under 8 it gets harder and harder to shave strokes

Congratulations bro that's really good. I know it can be done I'll use you as inspiration!

Good luck getting to scratch

Exactly. I'm a golf Mom. My kid in one year went from a 15 to a 4.3. Now is when the real work starts, or so my kid says.

~disclaimer~ I'm just a golf mom.

Congratulations bro that's really good. I know it can be done I'll use you as inspiration!

the diffrence between 5.8 and scratch is bigger than 36 and 5.8... just saying.. you might be able to get down to 5 in one year... many people has done that. But scratch is not gonna happen.

In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

i think the odds are for you to become scratch after 1 year; after all you are the man who claims to have hit from the championship tees after his 2nd game, driven the ball 300 yards with your 3 wood and have the physique of Tiger Woods ;)

I wouldn't give out any possibility percentage, but I'd give you this though, "Good luck."

Golf ain't and never meant to be easy.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Judging by other threads this guy has started, his is nothing more than a garden variety troll and he's getting far more action than he's worth. The best thing we can do is just ignore anything he posts and he will go away... it's no fun trolling when the fish don't bite.

If I'm wrong, I will apologize, but that's how you come across GitrDone.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

the human mind is capable of anything good luck man

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

• Administrator
Judging by other threads this guy has started, his is nothing more than a garden variety troll and he's getting far more action than he's worth. The best thing we can do is just ignore anything he posts and he will go away... it's no fun trolling when the fish don't bite.

Now's as good a time as any to remind y'all that this forum allows you to put people on your "ignore" list. You won't see posts from them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Now's as good a time as any to remind y'all that this forum allows you to put people on your "ignore" list. You won't see posts from them.

oh oh oh, how do we do that?

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

true talent + determination + around the clock top notch training + financial stability = then it's possible. I truely believe i have the first two, it's the last two part of the equation that some of us fall short.
HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

GitRDone

I have faith in you. Prove these suckers wrong and come back as GotRDone.

In my bag:

Driver: Cleveland Hibore XL 9.5*
Hybrids: Cleveland HiBore 19*
Nike Slingshot 23*Irons: Titleist 775 CBWedges: Titleist Vokey 54.10 Callaway X-Tour 58.12

GitRDone

haha gotrdone nice man

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

A quote here from Al Gore . . .

What is really dangerous to us is not what we don't know. . .

It is what we know for sure that just ain't so . . .

Get a FIRST RATE teacher and you will hear only the truth, and not waste time and energy on unimportant details. Listen only to him, no one else and you may well get there . . .

Good Luck!

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

Sounds like the OG is a bit off his rocker (not like my newbie butt should be talking), but it's an interesting question, regardless of who brought it up.
Everyone's met that person with a swing so natural and pure, it looks like they were born with a club in their hands. Touch around the greens like you've never seen. Those are two special things that you have, whether playing a month, or a decade. But there's so much more to becoming a scratch golfer than just hitting "a lot of good shots."
As someup said earlier, the difference between 5 and scratch is far greater than 36 and 5. I might not agree to that degree, but maybe between 36 and 10. I think once you're under 10, you've taken on a new game and play in a different realm than those above it. But that jump to scratch (I guess by definition, you have to AVERAGE par, which means several rounds below par, right?) is still light years.
My guess is that 90 percent of club pros aren't even scratch golfers in the true sense. They can't keep a handicap, but if they could, even very good club pros would be in the 2-5 range.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

• 7 months later...

i give it 50% if you practice enouggh and get your short game good the u should definatly be able to and have plenty of lessons. good luck leme kno how you get on wth it. In my bag :

• nike sasquatch sumo2 9.5 aldila stiff
  • nike cci cavity backs 3- pw
  • nike sasquatch 2 3wood stiff
  • nike sv 56 - 60 and nike sv black satin 52 wedges
  • sophia yes putter
  • titleist prov1 golf balls number 7s

Note: This thread is 5875 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!