IGNORED

Today's average golfer, what is your answer?

Spitfisher
Note: This thread is 3701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

95*0.85 = 80.75-72 ~> 8 handicap.

If we make it 95*0.95 ~> 18 handicap. Which seems about right.

I average about 90 and am about a 14.5 to 17 handicap. The 14.5 is based upon my low average 9 hole scores and 17 is based upon my high average scores. Since I am new to the game and have an uncertain short game, I stick to the 17.3 handicap given to me. Unless, I am competing, then the 15.

I think the 0.85 is the thing I am complaining about. That would create too much of a difference between the 10 rounds I throw away and the 10 rounds I keep. I think it should be 0.95.

Am I looking at this correctly?

Well, your math is right anyway...    87 is 85% of roughly 102.     I also think your 95% of all rounds is probably closer, especially since the actual handicap formula uses 96%..

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

95*0.85 = 80.75-72 ~> 8 handicap.

If we make it 95*0.95 ~> 18 handicap. Which seems about right.

I average about 90 and am about a 14.5 to 17 handicap. The 14.5 is based upon my low average 9 hole scores and 17 is based upon my high average scores. Since I am new to the game and have an uncertain short game, I stick to the 17.3 handicap given to me. Unless, I am competing, then the 15.

I think the 0.85 is the thing I am complaining about. That would create too much of a difference between the 10 rounds I throw away and the 10 rounds I keep. I think it should be 0.95.

Am I looking at this correctly?

Well, your math is right anyway...    87 is 85% of roughly 102.     I also think your 95% of all rounds is probably closer, especially since the actual handicap formula uses 96%..

I need to start learning these things, instead of "figuring" them out.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

BTW, since handicaps are calculated using the average of the 10 best differentials from the player's last 20 rounds, multiplied by 0.96,  the math I used to arrive at what I believe to be the average score for a 15 handicap is:  by dividing 15 by .96, which is 15.625.  Rounding that up to 16 and adding it to 72 gave me 88.

I still think this is about right since we are talking averages here and not maximums/minimums..

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

• Administrator

BTW, since handicaps are calculated using the average of the best 10 differentials from the player's lpast 20 rounds, multiplied by 0.96,  the math I used to arrive at what I believe to be the average score for a 15 handicap is:  by dividing 15 by .96, which is 15.625.  Rounding that up to 16 and adding it to 72 gave me 88.

That would only be the average if they play 72.0 rated courses… and only then the average of their ten best scores. Their ten worst will average out to 90+.

That's why I encourage people to consider their anti-handicaps as well: .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That would only be the average if they play 72.0 rated courses… and only then the average of their ten best scores. Their ten worst will average out to 90+.

That's why I encourage people to consider their anti-handicaps as well:  ​ .

Had to lookup the anti-handicap thing..   Interesting concept.    Probably gives you a good idea of the actual state of your game..   I just did the math on my anti-handicap, which came out to 21.5.  In looking at that, I also noticed my worst score during those last 20 was a 96.   That was my worst .   So, being an 18, I still don't see a 15 as averaging 95-100 (which has been my contention all along).

1.) I try to play at least every other week in the spring, summer, and fall.

2.) I usually shoot around 110-120 playing by the rules. ( I did shoot a 156 before, and must say it led me to go get lessons the following week, and I also shot a 98 on my last round of the year.

3.) I am 31, been playing seriously for only about a year, but been playing since I was 15.

In my :tmade: Burner Golf Bag

:tmade:R1 Black Driver 10.5 degrees

:tmade:RBZ 3-Wood

:tmade:Burner Superfast 2.0 3-hybrid

:tmade:Burner 2.0 irons 4-PW, AW, SW, LW

:tmade:Spiderblade putter

:adidas:Audizero Golf shoes

I am 53 - I just started playing approximately 2 years ago and committed to it this year. I played 24+ times from May - November and whenever I am in a warmer climate which will be twice this year. My average for 9 is 63 but going or 120 for 18. I consider myself average or less because of the score not age or number of times I golf.

That's why I encourage people to consider their anti-handicaps as well:  ​ .

Mine was 9.7, I was surprised it was still single digit and my next 2 scores to leave are really ugly one is a 13.2 indexed on a easy course damnit.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 3701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!