IGNORED

How do you get into the low 80's from roughly the high 80's and low 90's?

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3636 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hit almost every single green I face 150 and in

:bugout::beer:

Damn. If I could do that I would have it made!!!

Well... at least I would be the best player at our course (by far).

Just knowing that I would never miss the island green again would be worth a small fortune in our Saturday games.

Quote:

Damn. If I could do that I would have it made!!!

Well... at least I would be the best player at our course (by far).

Just knowing that I would never miss the island green again would be worth a small fortune in our Saturday games.

That's why I'm so irritated about my tee box issue. It's time for some lessons with the long sticks. My 2 faults are off the tee box and with the putter. The putter is either just ok, or it's really bad. Irons are awesome though. But hey, keyword was ALMOST every single green I face 150 and in (8 iron or less). Statistically over the last 3 months of play avg (15 rds) I hit 14/18 greens on avg (150 and in). 9/18 being the low 16/18 being the high. Not many GIR (4 being the low, 8 being the high) but you can thank my driver for that. Good news though, I got a new one and the old habit SEEMS to be gone. Pretty pumped to see how much that will affect my game moving forward.

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

""Haha. Now you're just nit picking. You knew what I meant on the putting comment. My ball striking is undoubtably the best part of my game (irons, wedges, hybrids). That stat about 50% of the time hitting the green at 100 yds is BS I don't care what your stats tell me. I hit almost every single green I face 150 and in and I am a mid 90's player. Why? Because I have a poor mental game, and my tee box presence is horrid. I have to take about 8 drops per round right now off the tee (just got a new driver though ;) ). I'm taking a new approach to all of that and hopefully it improves, but the point is, you can't tell me an 80's player only hits a green 50% of the time only being 100 yds out. Not buying. There are SO many aspects to this beautiful game besides ball contact. There's no way you can argue that. Also, when I have <36 putts, my score is dramatically better than when I live in "3-putt-land", so that's also something I can't see as being an argued topic. Everyone's game is different however and everyone seems to take a different approach in how they play it...
If could limit my lost balls off the tee box, I would be an immediate low-mid 80's player. That's why I believe limiting mistakes #1. It's not about how great you play, but rather how bad you don't! (unless you're going for a green jacket) That's how I see it anyways.""

ha ha ha. You are clueLESS about what it would take to improve your game.

In fact, as a pathetic 90's player you couldn't possibly understand how that low 80's player manages their short game... you are so far removed from understanding how to score that you probably hit on the sex that you wouldn't hit on and think you're scoring when they say YES AND NO.

Pathetic. "Going for the green jacket..." this coming out of the mind of 90's player. la la la la la land. la la land. You deserve to be flamed off this thread for your comments as they serve no purpose other than to serve YOU.

""Haha. Now you're just nit picking. You knew what I meant on the putting comment. My ball striking is undoubtably the best part of my game (irons, wedges, hybrids). That stat about 50% of the time hitting the green at 100 yds is BS I don't care what your stats tell me. I hit almost every single green I face 150 and in and I am a mid 90's player. Why? Because I have a poor mental game, and my tee box presence is horrid. I have to take about 8 drops per round right now off the tee (just got a new driver though ;) ). I'm taking a new approach to all of that and hopefully it improves, but the point is, you can't tell me an 80's player only hits a green 50% of the time only being 100 yds out. Not buying. There are SO many aspects to this beautiful game besides ball contact. There's no way you can argue that. Also, when I have If could limit my lost balls off the tee box, I would be an immediate low-mid 80's player. That's why I believe limiting mistakes #1. It's not about how great you play, but rather how bad you don't! (unless you're going for a green jacket) That's how I see it anyways.""

ha ha ha. You are clueLESS about what it would take to improve your game.

In fact, as a pathetic 90's player you couldn't possibly understand how that low 80's player manages their short game... you are so far removed from understanding how to score that you probably hit on the sex that you wouldn't hit on and think you're scoring when they say YES AND NO.

Pathetic. "Going for the green jacket..." this coming out of the mind of 90's player. la la la la la land. la la land. You deserve to be flamed off this thread for your comments as they serve no purpose other than to serve YOU.

This guy ^^^ :w00t: I find it hilarious that when someone disagrees and provides their way of thinking, people DESTROY you unless you completely agree with they have to say. If you know all the answers, enlighten me, Tiger!

By the way, the green jacket thing was a joke. Clearly went over your head!

Dylan

This guy ^^^ I find it hilarious that when someone disagrees and provides their way of thinking, people DESTROY you unless you completely agree with they have to say. If you know all the answers, enlighten me, Tiger!

Everything you wrote in your original post was a joke, eh? You are a joke. A 90's player offering advice... Do the golfing world a favor... go fetch my ball.

Everything you wrote in your original post was a joke, eh? You are a joke. A 90's player offering advice... Do the golfing world a favor... go fetch my ball.

First of all, you're the joke. A +4 hanicap? I was never offering advice but rather chiming in and hopefully having someone add their insight on my comments/thoughts. You are a complete @$$hole , and quite honestly after reading your other posts, you're a flat out liar. No one starts golf and plays IMMEDIATELY in the 80's. That's absurd. Calling other people an idiot because you don't agree with them? Do the world a favor... go jump in a water hazard and quit writing on TST, jackass.

Dylan

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbrock504

This guy ^^^ I find it hilarious that when someone disagrees and provides their way of thinking, people DESTROY you unless you completely agree with they have to say. If you know all the answers, enlighten me, Tiger!

He's just talking about his own game, and what works/doesn't work for him. Maybe it will help someone else, maybe not. You're that insecure that you have to attack people who have a higher HC than you? Pathetic. Do us all a favor and never log-in here again. Please just stop golfing, for that matter. Nobody gives a sh*t how good you play, or what you know.

@dbrock504 hey man check out that guys previous posts lol...we were reeled in, and fed the troll haha. Happens to the best of us.

haha yes sir! It happens. Issues of free sports blogs...

Dylan

Thanks for the link. Really liked the summary wall at the end. I must admit though, turning through with a leaning shaft WITHOUT executing the hit instinct is easier said than done, and I am sure it is not just me. I think it takes a certain frame of mind to do this with any confidence/competence DURING the round. Anyway, off topic. Sorry.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Haha. Now you're just nit picking. You knew what I meant on the putting comment.

I don't, actually. Amateurs are, on average, far better putters than they realize (or pros are nowhere near as good as they think… one of the two). Hoping for "less than 36 putts" is pretty bad, though.

My ball striking is undoubtably the best part of my game (irons, wedges, hybrids). That stat about 50% of the time hitting the green at 100 yds is BS I don't care what your stats tell me. I hit almost every single green I face 150 and in and I am a mid 90's player. Why? Because I have a poor mental game, and my tee box presence is horrid.

You may be the first golfer in the history of the world, then, with those characteristics.

The BEST player on the PGA Tour in 2013 only hit the green fewer than 3 of 4 times from 150-175. Averaging only 7 of 10 would have put you inside the top ten on the PGA Tour. Hitting 3 of 4 would put you almost top 30 on the PGA Tour from 125-150 yards.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for the link. Really liked the summary wall at the end. I must admit though, turning through with a leaning shaft WITHOUT executing the hit instinct is easier said than done, and I am sure it is not just me. I think it takes a certain frame of mind to do this with any confidence/competence DURING the round. Anyway, off topic. Sorry.

Didn't post this properly. Meant to reply to @FooFader

Vishal S.

Seriously, a 90's golfer might have great advice.  Don't judge the advice someone gives on their handicap.  For all we know, a 90's golfer may have been a low 80's golfer at some point... Maybe that person has some physical traits that don't allow them to swing conventional, Maybe they can't play but twice a month, who knows...   I don't care what your handicap is... If you make sense with your advice, it's advice well given

Knowing fundamentals and having the knowledge to share is completely different from being able to physically do it...  doesn't mean it's bad advice.  Shoot, I know I shouldn't go for the green in two from 230 out of the trees and I would recommend you don't try it either....   doesn't mean I'm not going to try anyway even though I know it's sooo wrong lol!    :)        ....because I am going for it!

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Seriously, a 90's golfer might have great advice.  Don't judge the advice someone gives on their handicap.  For all we know, a 90's golfer may have been a low 80's golfer at some point... Maybe that person has some physical traits that don't allow them to swing conventional, Maybe they can't play but twice a month, who knows...   I don't care what your handicap is... If you make sense with your advice, it's advice well given

Knowing fundamentals and having the knowledge to share is completely different from being able to physically do it...  doesn't mean it's bad advice.  Shoot, I know I shouldn't go for the green in two from 230 out of the trees and I would recommend you don't try it either....   doesn't mean I'm not going to try anyway even though I know it's sooo wrong lol!    :)        ....because I am going for it!

Agreed on this point, most of us are adults and as such have many experiences in or out of golf.

All handicaps are welcome to post suggestions on this thread, and is greatly appreciated.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I don't, actually. Amateurs are, on average, far better putters than they realize (or pros are nowhere near as good as they think… one of the two). Hoping for "less than 36 putts" is pretty bad, though.

You may be the first golfer in the history of the world, then, with those characteristics.

The BEST player on the PGA Tour in 2013 only hit the green fewer than 3 of 4 times from 150-175. Averaging only 7 of 10 would have put you inside the top ten on the PGA Tour. Hitting 3 of 4 would put you almost top 30 on the PGA Tour from 125-150 yards.

I went out today and played. Here are my results from the day: Course Plum Creek par 72 6443 yds slope rating 70.7/125. Shot +13 (49) on the front 9. Lost 4 total balls. 3 off the tee, 1 with a hybrid 230 out on a par 5. Pushed it left into the trees. Back 9 shot +7 (43) and lost 1 ball total. 8/14 fairways hit, 5 GIR, 32 putts. Ended with a 92. Best scorecard day of golf I have ever had at this facility. I didn't hold too many greens today. The greens are hard and make bump and runs a must. MOST of the time, if I was 150 or in, I made the greens. Doesn't necessarily mean it was close to the pin... I did birdie a par 3 101 yds however. That was pretty cool. Overall, had a great day. The advice I am reading from you going back in the post seems to work. Thanks

Dylan

Haha. Now you're just nit picking. You knew what I meant on the putting comment. My ball striking is undoubtably the best part of my game (irons, wedges, hybrids). That stat about 50% of the time hitting the green at 100 yds is BS I don't care what your stats tell me. I hit almost every single green I face 150 and in and I am a mid 90's player. Why? Because I have a poor mental game, and my tee box presence is horrid. I have to take about 8 drops per round right now off the tee (just got a new driver though ;) ). I'm taking a new approach to all of that and hopefully it improves, but the point is, you can't tell me an 80's player only hits a green 50% of the time only being 100 yds out. Not buying. There are SO many aspects to this beautiful game besides ball contact. There's no way you can argue that. Also, when I have <36 putts, my score is dramatically better than when I live in "3-putt-land", so that's also something I can't see as being an argued topic. Everyone's game is different however and everyone seems to take a different approach in how they play it...

If could limit my lost balls off the tee box, I would be an immediate low-mid 80's player. That's why I believe limiting mistakes #1. It's not about how great you play, but rather how bad you don't! (unless you're going for a green jacket) That's how I see it anyways.

Whoa.  I don't know what to say other than what you are describing is unlike anything I witnessed on the fields.  Also hard to believe so much can be mental for off tee miscues.  If you have decent swing, no matter how jittery you are, it's not going to vary that much, at least not that much to lose balls. You are not talking about tour courses, all eyes on me, money on the line, tournaments, etc, right?

Whoa.  I don't know what to say other than what you are describing is unlike anything I witnessed on the fields.  Also hard to believe so much can be mental for off tee miscues.  If you have decent swing, no matter how jittery you are, it's not going to vary that much, at least not that much to lose balls. You are not talking about tour courses, all eyes on me, money on the line, tournaments, etc, right?

I honestly don't know how to respond that any of what you said, so I am just going to elaborate on what I was saying initially there. "I have a poor mental game": I get very frustrated as I can't get off the tee box. So much so that it clouds my judgement and confidence. Any player knows having confidence is essential. This in turn leads to a tighter grip, swinging harder, and consequently, over-swinging to a point where I'm out of my mechanics. This effects my iron game eventually as well. "I hit almost every single green I face 150 and in": I wasn't meaning I hit 17/18 or being literal, so calm down. My short irons and short game (8i-AW + the wedges) are the strongest part of my game. My ability to hit greens and create scenarios to get up and down is the biggest asset I have to my game (in comparison to most casual weekend golfers that I have played with over the years). MOST par 3's that are 150 or under are a "guarantee" hit for me. Is it actually guaranteed? No. Not by a long stretch. Can we move on now? I'm tired of beating this dead horse.

Dylan

Note: This thread is 3636 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!