IGNORED

Titleist vokey wedge advice

Note: This thread is 6059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am thinking of buying a Titleist Vokey 56° wedge but I have a few questions about them.

-What is the difference between the normal vokeys and the spin milled?
-Is the oil can wedge the same as the chrome just in a different colour?
-What is the difference between 10° bounce and 14° bounce.

Just to let you know, I play golf in England and the ground is never hard as it rains a lot so should that may make a difference to which degree bounce I get?

I got a Vokey Spin Milled 56* 14 bounce and I love it! Bounce helps in the sand, so if you want a sand wedge get the 14, because it displaces the sand and forces the ball out. Also the oil can rusts. And the difference between the normal and spin milled; spin milled have larger grooves so it can spin the ball better.

In the bag:

Driver: F-Speed 12*
3 Wood: r7 draw
5 Wood: F-SpeedHybrid: a3 boxerIrons: Ignite 4-PWWedges: 53 Phil Rogers, vokey 56, 588 60Putter: Victoria or Puku belly

Yes if you can hit it that far. I hit my sand wedge about 75 yards, and its great, works out of the sand too.

In the bag:

5 Wood: F-SpeedHybrid: a3 boxerIrons: Ignite 4-PWWedges: 53 Phil Rogers, vokey 56, 588 60Putter: Victoria or Puku belly

I guess that with my wedges at the moment I cannot back the ball up far so I just aim for the front of the green so it can roll. With the vokey sm do you need to aim just further on from the pin so that it will spin back?

Also, If I do a normal wedge shot on line with quite high trajectory, would the ball spin back each time?

I don't really know, my Vokey is brownish were the impact zone is, thats how much I've used it, and the groves aren't very sharp. But if you don't catch it well with backspin probably not.

In the bag:

I got a good deal IMO today on a vokey ms. I paid 90 with tax, at a pro shop on my uncles home course, I guess they were trying to get rid of them, they only had 3 there, I got a 60/08, haven't use it yet but I'm excited :)

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

Nice, the pro shops around where I am aren't very good at selling varied equipment as most are only retailers of certain companies e.g ping, callaway etc...

I looked on ebay.com and saw many vokey wedges but when I looked on ebay.co.uk there were about 3 for sale. argh!!

• 2 weeks later...
The difference between the spin milled and the normal vokey is how the grooves are cut. The spin milled have sharper groove edges resulting in more spin. Also titleist added in the circular microgrooves on the face for a little added spin in the rough. The oil can finish is an oil over the raw metal underneath. Once the oil get removed from constant use, the club starts to get a surface rust, which is said to increase ball rpms. In the course your playing at, i would want more bounce because more the bounce, the less chance of hitting the ball fat in wet conditions where the grass is moist.

Whats in my bag:
Driver: r7 Superquad 9.5 with stiff ProForce V2 75g
Wood: r7 Steel 4 wood stiff stock shaft
Hybrid: 3DX ironwood 3 with stiff Aldila NV Hybrid shaft
Irons: r7 with Project X 6.0 +1"Wedges: 52, 56, 60 spin milledPutter: Rossa Corzina

Don't know if there is any truth to it buy my dad has a chrome 52 and a raw 56 and seems to think the raw is softer!

Also when you get a new one... expect to wear out some good balls FAST!!! Just got my custom 52.08 and after about 4 shots my pro-v was toast!
Driver 907D1
Hibore XL 9.5 V2 67G S
3 Wood 200 Steel S90 Rifle
Hybrid 3 Baffler
Irons x20 Tours Flighted 6.0's 4-PWedges Oil Can 52.08 Bent to 51* 56:14 Raw Vokey & Mizuno 60*Putter Anser 5 " Probably had it for 12 yearsBall ProV1x

So if you buy the spin milled wedges, how do you close the gap between the pitching wedge and the sandwedge? with only a 54° wedge there is still a gap wedge needed, or am i wrong?

In my Bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10,5°, Graphite Design Purple Ice 85 Regular
#3 Wood: Taylormade R7 Steel 15°, RE*AX 70 Stiff

#4 Rescue: Taylormade Rescue Hybrid 09 22°, RE*AX 65 Stiff
3-PW Irons: MP-32 ProjectX 6.0
Wedges: MP-T Black Nickel 51.6 and 56.14 Spinner Rifle Shafts
Putter: Studio Style Newport 2.5 35''

Golfclub Schloss Myllendonk (Par 72, CR 72,9, Slope 134)

just buy a 52 or 50 200 series
Driver 907D1
Hibore XL 9.5 V2 67G S
3 Wood 200 Steel S90 Rifle
Hybrid 3 Baffler
Irons x20 Tours Flighted 6.0's 4-PWedges Oil Can 52.08 Bent to 51* 56:14 Raw Vokey & Mizuno 60*Putter Anser 5 " Probably had it for 12 yearsBall ProV1x

I am thinking of buying a Titleist Vokey 56° wedge but I have a few questions about them.

1. Regular Vokey wedges have smaller groove volume than the spin milled (SM) version. Moreover, the SM has that CNC machine cut on the club face adding more stopping power to the ball.

2. Basically they're to your preference. However, the Oil Can finish rusts overtime which will add more spin to the ball. 3. Bounce doesn't simply mean the difference in turf condition. Another factor is your swing type. There's too much to cover here, but you can visit this website for further info. However, I strongly suggest you get analyzed to see where exactly the wedge's sole impacts on the ground. Hope this helps.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

• Administrator
2. Basically they're to your preference. However, the Oil Can finish rusts overtime which will add more spin to the ball.

Rust does not add spin.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why not try and go the whole hog with the four wedge thing?

48* pitching wedge 200 series;
52* gap wedge 200 series;
56* SM sand wedge;
60* SM lob wedge;

You'll never be left wondering whether the gaps are too large, just which shot to hit. By the way the chrome finish will be mor durable in the long term. Had I known this I might have bought my 200 series in the chrome rather than the oil can, but they do feel smoooooth!!
KGC- edge bag
580 XD 9.5* harrison striper Ti S
// v-steel 15* S//rescue 17* S
710 AP 2 3 ir + 755 4- 9 S//vokey 200 48.06 / 54.14
sm
60.08// studio design 1 4*

Rust doesn't add spin - true - but it does improve "feel" - in a similar way to taking your glove off when you're around the green.

I reckon most people are going to want either a 5wood/utility or gap wedge in their set as the 14th club. I went for the 54(14 bounce) Vokey SM - the bounce is great out of bunkers and i mostly play soft courses in Ireland so it's fine for full shots off tight lies. Tends to hit it lower too. More forgiving which i believe is important for a scoring club - no point in hitting 300 yard drives and not getting into a scoring position from inside 100!

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

• Administrator
Rust doesn't add spin - true - but it does improve "feel" - in a similar way to taking your glove off when you're around the green.

Rust doesn't add "feel" either - it's the lack of chrome that "adds feel," and for most players, it's almost an imperceptible amount of feel.

Again I'll refer everyone to this article: Is Rust a Must?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@iacas

do you feel that you miss one club between your pitchin and your 54* wedge? how much loft has your pitching wedge?

i am not sure if i should buy a 52* vokey and a 56* spin milled or mor like you a 54* and a 58*.

In my Bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10,5°, Graphite Design Purple Ice 85 Regular
#3 Wood: Taylormade R7 Steel 15°, RE*AX 70 Stiff

#4 Rescue: Taylormade Rescue Hybrid 09 22°, RE*AX 65 Stiff
3-PW Irons: MP-32 ProjectX 6.0
Wedges: MP-T Black Nickel 51.6 and 56.14 Spinner Rifle Shafts
Putter: Studio Style Newport 2.5 35''

Golfclub Schloss Myllendonk (Par 72, CR 72,9, Slope 134)

Note: This thread is 6059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!