IGNORED

Would you rather

Prodigy
Note: This thread is 5847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. would you rather

• hit every green in regulation
    • or make every putt

ok lets say you dont know how to swing a club or putt would you rather hit every green in regulation or make every putt?

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, putting is where you go low, but there's so many variables in putting, and it's so unforgiving, when I'm making a lot of putts, there's something about it that just feels like a lot of luck. However, when you're knocking wedges, 7-irons, 5-irons, high in the air, with a soft landing, and the ball calmly settles on that little patch of perfectly manicured grass, 100, 150 or 180 yards away, it's very satisfying to me.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Hit every green in reg for me. You can make every putt but if it's for a 7 it really doesn't matter. Hit every GIR and even if you 3 putt half of them you still shoot +9. Any decent putting at all and you are in the 70's every single time.

very true thanks for pointing out the flaws guys

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

• Administrator

I voted "make every putt."

I could hit every green, but I'm going to take about 1.8 putts per green in regulation. That's 33 putts or so. Since I've hit every GIR (36 shots), that's a 69. That's -3 and not too shabby.

I hit about 8-12 GIR per round, and when I don't hit a GIR, I'm close to it. Knowing that regardless of where I am I'm going to make the putt takes a lot of pressure off the short game. So let's say I hit 8 GIR and miss 10: that's 10 pars (since I'll be on in one over regulation) and 8 birdies, or -8. I could even mix in three or four one-putt bogeys (very unlikely I'd have that many) and still beat my "every GIR" score.

Obviously hitting every GIR looks more attractive the less GIR you hit now. With as few as 5 GIR, making every putt looks pretty attractive so long as you're at least NEAR almost every other green in regulation (so your first and only putts are for par).

Besides, you know what they say about the guy that can scramble. This is why... making putts is not only a great way to go low, but it's also demoralizing to any opponents. Plus, think of all the barkies, sandies, etc. you'd win!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

im with iacas normally my worst score is a boggy therefore if i can only one put pars all day long but takin into consideration for a newbie putting is still the way to go beause on averge it takes atleast to puts to get the ball int he cup while a gir you only need on shot the traditional way of making par is a good drive, then hit into the middle of the green, miss your birddy and tap in for par

Titleist 905R 10.5* w/ Avix Tour Red 69(X)
Titleist 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto 80(S)
Titleist 585H 17 deg w/ S300
Titleist 690.mb w/ S300
Vokey SM 56 degVokey SM 60 degSCOTTY CAMERON STUDIO STAINLESS NEWPORT 2

Making putts means you're clutch. I'll take that any day
HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

I can understand Where Erik is coming from & certainly can see the better golfers choosing putts, but for those of us who have troubles even getting G.I.R, thats the way I would have to vote.

Makes no sense to me to 1 putt if I took 4-5-6 shots to get to the green. I normally dont shoot anything over 2 putts anyways...well ok the occasional 3 putt will pop up every now & then. But I could hit every G.I.R & then 2 putt, that's scratch golf & even with a 3 putt thrown in every now & then it's still darn good.

Makes no sense to me to 1 putt if I took 4-5-6 shots to get to the green. I normally dont shoot anything over 2 putts anyways...well ok the occasional 3 putt will pop up every now & then. But I could hit every G.I.R & then 2 putt, that's scratch golf & even with a 3 putt thrown in every now & then it's still darn good.

I think the spirit of this poll is really, if you had to put your money when it counts the most, what situation would you rather have? Not sure if this is meant to be taken to such extremes of 6+ shots or 3+ putts. Realistically i dont believe you can be that extreme from one aspect of your game to another.
HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

I normally hit nearly every green in at the most 3 shots. Probably GIR 40%. Maybe 4 shots onto the green once a round.

I would almost always shoot below par if I sunk every putt, while as I would have to sink lots of putts from long distance if I hit every GIR.

Ping Si3 8* Stiff
Titleist 906 F2 15* Steel Stiff
Titleist 906 F2 18* Steel Stiff
Taylormade RAC LT Rifle 6.0
Callaway X Tour 54, 60Yes! Tracy

I average 34.3 putts per round. If I make every putt, that takes 16.3 strokes off of every round. Suddenly I'm a scratch golfer.

I hit exactly one third of my greens. Looking at my stats, I can't figure out how many shots I waste getting to the green, but it certainly isn't 16 strokes per round, or three-quarters of a stroke per hole.

This is an no-brainer for me: I'll take the putts.

I would deeeeeeeefinitely take the putts.

I usually hit 10-12 GIRs per round and that would easily have me in the 60s every single round.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

I changed my mind after playing 9 holes today. Definitely would rather make every putt. When I compare that to making every G.I.R with todays rd, I would have saved 2 strokes by going with the putts.

putt for the dough!
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

I'd choose 'make every putt', then tee off with the putter

In the bag:

Driver: F-Speed 12*
3 Wood: r7 draw
5 Wood: F-SpeedHybrid: a3 boxerIrons: Ignite 4-PWWedges: 53 Phil Rogers, vokey 56, 588 60Putter: Victoria or Puku belly

I'd choose 'make every putt', then tee off with the putter

haha thats a good point so go out there and shoot a 18

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:

Note: This thread is 5847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!