IGNORED

Name Your Team USA Ryder Cup Squad

SteveBamford
Note: This thread is 3528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Patrick Reed anybody??? ;)

DJ is out, Tiger is almost certainly out of consideration now, and Reed just tied for 4th at Bridgestone.  Seems almost impossible to think that he won't qualify now, eh?

Yup. I wasn't a big fan of Reed as a potential captain's pick, but now it looks like he'll get in on points, and even if he doesn't he's probably done enough to be picked given the weakness of the rest of the field.  I also wasn't that big a fan of the "Ryder Cup points" criteria, but as it stands now, the leaders there are shaping up to be mostly the guys I would pick anyway.

1 1 Bubba Watson 20 6,892.638
2 2 Jim Furyk 20 5,972.694
3 3 Jimmy Walker 24 5,585.405
4 4 Rickie Fowler 25 5,573.253
5 5 Dustin Johnson 21 5,133.806
6 6 Matt Kuchar 24 5,114.665
7 7 Jordan Spieth 25 4,835.828
8 10 Patrick Reed 22 3,609.393
9 8 Jason Dufner 20 3,559.720
10 9 Zach Johnson 25 3,532.894
11 11 Phil Mickelson 21 3,350.339
12 16 Keegan Bradley 26 3,324.697
13 12 Brendon Todd 24 3,307.982
14 14 Ryan Moore 24 3,288.871
15 13 Chris Kirk 24 3,287.882
16 15 Webb Simpson 23

Figure DJ is out, but probably the top 12 there less DJ make it.  Of the rest, I had been leaning towards Webb, but am now leaning towards Moore.  Moore has been a jouneyman type for most of his career, but has been very good this year, and I think hes the type of guy for whom making a Ryder Cup team might be one of the highlights of his career.  That means he'll probably take it seriously.  Also think he's peaking at the right time, with T5 Travelers, T7 Deere, T12 Open championship, T8 Bridgestone his last four events.

Yup. I wasn't a big fan of Reed as a potential captain's pick, but now it looks like he'll get in on points, and even if he doesn't he's probably done enough to be picked given the weakness of the rest of the field.  I also wasn't that big a fan of the "Ryder Cup points" criteria, but as it stands now, the leaders there are shaping up to be mostly the guys I would pick anyway.

Bubba Watson

Jim Furyk

Jimmy Walker

Rickie Fowler

Dustin Johnson

Matt Kuchar

Jordan Spieth

Patrick Reed

Jason Dufner

Zach Johnson

Phil Mickelson

Keegan Bradley

Brendon Todd

Ryan Moore

Chris Kirk

Webb Simpson

Figure DJ is out, but probably the top 12 there less DJ make it.  Of the rest, I had been leaning towards Webb, but am now leaning towards Moore.  Moore has been a jouneyman type for most of his career, but has been very good this year, and I think hes the type of guy for whom making a Ryder Cup team might be one of the highlights of his career.  That means he'll probably take it seriously.  Also think he's peaking at the right time, with T5 Travelers, T7 Deere, T12 Open championship, T8 Bridgestone his last four events.

Moore has great finishes, but my worry with him is he's never in contention to win. Most of those backdoor T-10s. And whenever he has been in contention, he fades. Todd has not played well of late. Kirk's been eh, but no experience. Webb's not had a great year. Snedeker's starting to play well and could sneak in as the last captain's pick with a good showing at the PGA, which I think he'll have.

I have a feeling with Stricker being named assistant captain, Watson really is gonna go with a younger squad. Really dont see Tiger or Phil making it at this point unless there are fireworks this weekend for them.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I'm sure I read some comment over the weekened attributed to Tom that seemed to indicate that Peter Perfect's 62 had convinced him?

Strangely enough, when trying to finalise my own final two picks I've gone through a process that led me onto Mickelson having said no way. What I think I wanted was someone like Mickelson the golfer, but not Mickelson the person.

This was my logic

America simply has to be on terms after the first day. If they fall behind, Europe might just extend and the lead gets wider and wider. If America is to have any chance they have to get some momentum and belief going. That means that they need a couple of streaky fourball players. I wouldn't care if the candidates shot 14 over, so long as they made 5 birdies in their round. Naturally it set me off looking at who has the best birdie or better percentage

Rory (European)

Adam (Aussie)

Walker (qualified)

Dust (disqualified)

Bubba (certified)

Matsuyama (Jap)

Sergio (European)

Charley Hoffman - First available candidate

Scharwtzel (Saffer)

Ryan Moore - Second available

othert notables outside the top ten were Keegan 13th, Stroud T15, and Na T21

Despite Mickelson having reputation for being the mecurial genius capable of sticking a run together he's in 47th. With the world's numbers 1 & 2 heading this list plus the Fed Ex leader & Masters Champion prominent, it looks like a decent indicator

I also took a look at the birdie to bogey ratio which is topped by Sergio followed by Rory

Of the American candidates not qualified the following rank emerged

5th - Na

T9 - Bradley

T9 - Moore

T9 - Stroud

T13 - Howell III

14 - Hoffman

I think I'm looking at the quartet of Hoffman, Stroud, Na and Moore

I confess not knowing enough about the character, but I need the two most likely to rise to the occasion and not back down, but that doesn't mean being bloody gung ho stupid. I'm not after the biggest mouth. I'm also curious to know who would make the mosty awkward opponent. Do what the opposition would least like you to do. My guess is that Kevin Na might fit that description

I'm sure I read some comment over the weekened attributed to Tom that seemed to indicate that Peter Perfect's 62 had convinced him? Strangely enough, when trying to finalise my own final two picks I've gone through a process that led me onto Mickelson having said no way. What I think I wanted was someone like Mickelson the golfer, but not Mickelson the person. This was my logic America simply has to be on terms after the first day. If they fall behind, Europe might just extend and the lead gets wider and wider. If America is to have any chance they have to get some momentum and belief going. That means that they need a couple of streaky fourball players. I wouldn't care if the candidates shot 14 over, so long as they made 5 birdies in their round. Naturally it set me off looking at who has the best birdie or better percentage Rory (European)  Adam (Aussie) Walker (qualified) Dust (disqualified) Bubba (certified) Matsuyama (Jap) Sergio (European) Charley Hoffman - First available candidate Scharwtzel (Saffer) Ryan Moore - Second available othert notables outside the top ten were Keegan 13th, Stroud T15, and Na T21 Despite Mickelson having reputation for being the mecurial genius capable of sticking a run together he's in 47th. With the world's numbers 1 & 2 heading this list plus the Fed Ex leader & Masters Champion prominent, it looks like a decent indicator I also took a look at the birdie to bogey ratio which is topped by Sergio followed by Rory Of the American candidates not qualified the following rank emerged 5th - Na T9 - Bradley T9 - Moore T9 - Stroud T13 - Howell III 14 - Hoffman I think I'm looking at the quartet of Hoffman, Stroud, Na and Moore I confess not knowing enough about the character, but I need the two most likely to rise to the occasion and not back down, but that doesn't mean being bloody gung ho stupid. I'm not after the biggest mouth. I'm also curious to know who would make the mosty awkward opponent. Do what the opposition would least like you to do. My guess is that Kevin Na might fit that description

Charley Hoffmann's baked out of his mind, Chris Stroud's an idiot,, Ryan Moore's a journeyman, and Kevin Na has OCD.

Riley

Baked out of his mind hey?

So too was Dustin Johnson but no one questioned his participation until .....

Some unusual heroes can emerge. Look at 2008. Who'd have thought that Boo Weekley would have ended that becoming such a damn awkward opponent and get a role going? He was more influential on that match than Mickelson. Come to think of it, so was Perry and Kim, but its Boo that was most interesting. Somehow, something flicked to 'on' and that became infectious and Boo gave the whole team a lift. It's difficult to quantify how it happens, but you sure as hell know when the whole team catches the wave and the momentum roars you into the beach. It becomes unstoppable. It's a bit like Poulter on 2012. I think what makes it doubly hard to combat is when it comes from an unexpected and slightly unknown area. You make plans for the known threats but combating an inspired one that emerges in situ is really difficult to respond to.

Darren Clarke would be another one at the K Club

If you're telling me that Hoffman doesn't know what day it is, but occasionally hits a hot streak, he'd be the sort I'd consider. I've got a feeling Na could be a very good foursomes player too

I think my overall conclusion is right though, America simply has to compete and trade on the first day, and that means loading up front with a few chancers and hoping to catch Europe a bit off guard. If America gets behind I can't see them fighting back until the match has gone. They've got to play with a fearless liberated energy unburdened by expectation and previous baggage and your more likely to find that kind of inspired performance from less considered youngsters with little previosu experience (not that Hoffman is a youngster) but you get my drift

The US should be given a special exemption to pick Adam Scott and Jason Day to at least help to round things out!

Excepting that things are looking pretty bleak on paper for the US team.

We have some solid players but no real heavy-weights.  No fierce contenders.  No Sunday Closers.   We have "top 10 machines" and guys who win by "hanging on" instead of putting the peddle to the floor on Sunday.

I'm really hoping to see a lot from the young guys.  Maybe mr Top 5 Patrick Reed will live up to his self-appointed title.

If I'm Tom Watson I'm really not sure who to pick . .I'm leaning towards Kenny Perry as the first pick.  For the second I might actually pick myself (if I'm Tom Watson, that is).   I'll tell you who I'm not picking . .Kevin Na .. and that is as much for personal reasons as anything else . .I just don't want to watch him play golf.  Besides . .he's an epic Sunday folder who will probably never win outside of the silly season or weak field events.

The US should be given a special exemption to pick Adam Scott and Jason Day to at least help to round things out!

Excepting that things are looking pretty bleak on paper for the US team.

We have some solid players but no real heavy-weights.  No fierce contenders.  No Sunday Closers.   We have "top 10 machines" and guys who win by "hanging on" instead of putting the peddle to the floor on Sunday.

I'm really hoping to see a lot from the young guys.  Maybe mr Top 5 Patrick Reed will live up to his self-appointed title.

If I'm Tom Watson I'm really not sure who to pick . .I'm leaning towards Kenny Perry as the first pick.  For the second I might actually pick myself (if I'm Tom Watson, that is).   I'll tell you who I'm not picking . .Kevin Na .. and that is as much for personal reasons as anything else . .I just don't want to watch him play golf.  Besides . .he's an epic Sunday folder who will probably never win outside of the silly season or weak field events.

Why not!  The both live in the US.  As do half the European squad!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was wondering the other day how long it might be before the US had to send for reinforcements. It almost completes a circle actually. I think it's possible that Canada and Mexico might get drafted eventually, but I'm not sure the US would want to surrender the naming rights?

The longer term prognosis for Europe is that they should gain in strength. Let me try and give you a sort of paralell. Imagine trying to pick a US team. Well you all do that. Now imagine trying to pick one where you have to draw 90% of your players exclusively from the states of Texas, (GB&Ireland;) Illinois (Spain) and Missouri (Sweden)

The US is struggling to win as it is. If the likes of Germany, Italy and France start to emerge, along with big populations like Turkey or some from Eastern Europe in 20 years or so, then the US is going to face the same problems that GB & Ireland faced by 1977. Throw the decline in participation into the mix as well, and the US has an issue going forward

Will Australians and South Africans want to play for the US though? I'd have said not. Come to think of it, would Canucks?

The answer to my mind is that US needs to decide whether or not it really wants to win the Ryder Cup and whether it actually means anything to it? All the evidence I see really, suggests that they say one thing, and then do another. Either that, or they don't really have any comprehension of the sort of professional training and team building that will be necessary to take their performance to another level. They actually remind me of an invitational rugby team we have called 'the Barbarians'

I suspect that in 10 years time the idea that a Captain has to communicate with his team by text message, or trying to arrange a bumping into them at Hoylake will be seen as amateur and you'll wonder why on earth it was tolerated for so long, and it was little wonder you lost all the time. Similarly, the idea that you call a team training session and only two people turn up will also come to be seen as an anathema

Europe ain't going to roll over and allow you to win. Europe is going to get stronger. Sure America will win the occasional match, but the direction of travel looks set to me. I do believe America can reverse that though if she decides that she's genuinely going to put more resource and effort into the Ryder Cup, and take a much more professional approach to it. These are professionals after all, yet their preparation is no different to a Walker Cup team

And you know what (this is the beguiling bit) a successful Ryder Cup team will do more to put golf in the shop window and promote the game than any individual outside of Tiger

As things look today, we've gone past 'peak Tiger'. The PGA needs a new vehicle and the Ryder Cup has to be the best one on offer if they committed to it. Anyone can give a patriotic press conference to say how much it means to them, or how much it hurts etc Empty words. Anyone can tweet the same. So what. They need to back that up with commitment and that means training and preparing like a proper sports team. Hell, even a college football team will do more than a bunch of golfers loosely connected with each other for a season who then roll up for a week with a captain who has some loose ideas of his pairings and see where it takes them

I think if America starts to apply that level of dedication and even slip squad weekends in, then she starts to do more than compete, she starts to win, and even starts to establish primacy again

I have a feeling with Stricker being named assistant captain, Watson really is gonna go with a younger squad. Really dont see Tiger or Phil making it at this point unless there are fireworks this weekend for them.

I'll give you Tiger but I am 99% certain that Phil is in. Hell, he'll probably get there on points. But even if he doesn't, he's getting picked.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger is still TBD, but Keegan and Phil will without a doubt be on the team. 100%, take it to the bank.

Stricker was added because he is the peer of the guys who will be on the team (unlike Watson, Ray Floyd, and Andy North), not because TWatson is going to pick a bunch of young rooks who Stricker doesn't even know.

Note: This thread is 3528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!