IGNORED

My Swing (virtuoso)

virtuoso
Note: This thread is 2269 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, virtuoso said:

Also adding a little external might be the play. I definitely get jammed in with the elbow and can’t hold it.

Tough to add a little external when you're already at the limits of what you can achieve in the backswing. For others (I'm sure you know @virtuoso), @mvmac was suggesting you go neutral to perhaps even slightly internal rotation on the backswing, to give yourself room to move more dynamically toward external rotation.

And also to others, it sounds weird, but external rotation puts the elbow more into a "pitch elbow" configuration, and internal rotation the opposite - more behind the shirt seam.

And yeah, @SunkTheBirdie, who are you? Generally helps to know.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Tough to add a little external when you're already at the limits of what you can achieve in the backswing. For others (I'm sure you know @virtuoso), @mvmac was suggesting you go neutral to perhaps even slightly internal rotation on the backswing, to give yourself room to move more dynamically toward external rotation.

And also to others, it sounds weird, but external rotation puts the elbow more into a "pitch elbow" configuration, and internal rotation the opposite - more behind the shirt seam.

And yeah, @SunkTheBirdie, who are you? Generally helps to know.

yeah sorry, typo, i meant add internal. I want to add internal and flexion, ie a little more up and away.

Edited by virtuoso
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, virtuoso said:

Thanks Mike, I think I mostly agree with that. I wanted to experiment with slightly more shoulder flexion at p 3.5 to maintain the stretch across the system....and the radius. Also adding a little internal might be the play. I definitely get jammed in with the elbow and can’t hold it. Good call.

Yeah give it a try and see how it goes. If the shoulder works towards IR in transition and the club tumbles early (steeper), good players will stall rotational speeds and tilt back to avoid early closing and delofts.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Or the paragon of narrow chested, long armed players… The Duff. ;-)

(Not trying to interrupt; just giving myself a chuckle. :-D)

Spoiler

Right, so Dufner isn’t flexible enough to hold ER so it works more internal coming down. That’s why he tumbles the shaft "steeper" on the downswing, has a lower ball flight and doesn't continue to rotate as well as other players. This swing here dtl was actually a good one for him turning rates wise.

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 10.58.01 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-09 at 10.58.10 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

6 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Yeah give it a try and see how it goes. If the shoulder works towards IR in transition and the club tumbles early (steeper), good players will stall rotational speeds and tilt back to avoid early closing and delofts.

Reveal hidden contents

Right, so Dufner isn’t flexible enough to hold ER so it works more internal coming down. That’s why he tumbles the shaft "steeper" on the downswing, has a lower ball flight and doesn't continue to rotate as well as other players. This swing here dtl was actually a good one for him turning rates wise.

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 10.58.01 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-09 at 10.58.10 AM.png

That sounds like me.

@mvmac By flexibility for ER, say I hold my right arm in an L  like raising your hand in class. If I can rotate my arm back 30 degrees (I can't), that's flexible?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

@mvmac By flexibility for ER, say I hold my right arm in an L  like raising your hand in class. If I can rotate my arm back 30 degrees (I can't), that's flexible?

I can't get 30°, so… sure.

BTW, a lot of sites seem to indicate that 90° (but measured from in front of you to the side of you) is normal.

• Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Good advice from Erik and Mike re right arm.

I can’t do that swing that way though so my alternative is steeper.  

A lot has to do with flexibility and body proportions imo.

imo it’s important to work with ones own swing vs someone else’s.

Always evolve based on ballflight.

Nice movement Virtuoso!  

21 minutes ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

Wow.

So powerful.

And you look pretty solid in the impact zone.

Amazing.

Arms still get too far behind my torso and stand/stall at impact but it's better than it used to be.

• Like 1

image.png.c56fb1f6855b86110915f530938a463a.png

pretty functional A6.

Upload more driver footage !   Really detailed sunny weather images would be great.  

DTL and rear view (opposite of face on).

Google:  studying MORAD P6 - see PGA tour level A6 images.  You look tour level.

For A6, I think having your hands a little lower is better, and if you are a bit high ... it usually means you are coming in a bit steep.    And you are a bit high.   I love the PGA Tour Pros that have their hands really low and closer to the ball the better at A6.

I see my old P6 / A6 thread gets a good ranking on

image.png.c06a0d75f8a367429c63c8b542bb7abc.png

a golf P6 google.

Edited by SunkTheBirdie

(edited)
5 minutes ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

image.png.c56fb1f6855b86110915f530938a463a.png

pretty functional A6.

Upload more driver footage !   Really detailed sunny weather images would be great.  

DTL and rear view (opposite of face on).

Google:  studying MORAD P6 - see PGA tour level A6 images.  You look tour level.

For A6, I think having your hands a little lower is better, and if you are a bit high ... it usually means you are coming in a bit steep.    And you are a bit high.   I love the PGA Tour Pros that have their hands really low and closer to the ball the better at A6.

yep, they are too high, and the shoulders are too tilted and open, and the right arm is too far behind my torso. All from a bad transition.

...but the angle of attack is not too steep because i stop and scoop. I'm 2-3 up at the ball.

Edited by virtuoso

12 minutes ago, virtuoso said:

All from a bad transition.

Transition ?

I thought it was non-optimal POSITION.

image.png.c747f5d1d376bfaec01ee29e2e20dee6.png

Isn't the goal to get your hands (red) a bit higher and your right forearm "more parallel" (green) to your spine at A4 ?

Try playing around with how a different A4 feels.

Go to the top, and then kick out that right elbow to get a feel for where you want right elbow.  Try to keep your hands as far away from your right shoulder as possible (lotsa width). And figure out how to get there.   I like IR on my rear shoulder at A4 because it's easy on my bad rotator cuff ! :)

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

Isn't the goal to get your hands (red) a bit higher and your right forearm "more parallel" (green) to your spine at A4 ?

I don't think so.

On 1/9/2018 at 2:01 AM, mvmac said:

Gotcha. One thing I might suggest is to experiment with the trail arm looking more like this

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 10.52.16 PM.png

Instead of this,

Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 7.40.07 PM.png

You have a great mov

On 1/9/2018 at 2:01 AM, mvmac said:

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 10.52.16 PM.png

looks like a great position.

Too much ER of my right shoulder is hard on my old rotator cuff.

Edited by SunkTheBirdie

Note: This thread is 2269 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!